Woman Takes Sick Days For Mental Health

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Rihana, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Couldn't agree more ! !

Naari likes this.
  2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I don't know about the email part but I do hear stuff like this from a new company that am associated with. It's a 'new gen' corporate company rather the 'traditional mnc' corporate company.

People don't have to write a letter to take off. They don't ask for any medical letters. You can leave whenever you want. Or Not come in. N yes I have heard reasons like, no mood, not feeling well (mentally), am feeling depressed today, too much on my mind as reasons for not coming in. Though it confused me in the beginning am able to see this as the new gen corporate culture now. They don't care as long as they just do their work.

As long as this is not abused, I don't think there will be a problem.
    When you have the right people in the management, things can be right.

I have also seen an employee friendly big corporate company being miserable to some teams just because their head had a different traditional attitude. And vice versa like tough companies - friendly heads too.

So People matter big time in all this.

Anvitha and Rihana like this.
  3. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Aren't we all talking about corporate America here ? The greatest of all countries with it's maternity leave policies as bad as Papa new Guinea . Really ?? When there is enough research about long term maternity leave benefits both for the mom and baby ranging from low post partum recovery to better bonding and infant mortality rate , how come America never sees the health benefits there. This article of the mental health looks like some PR strategy to me like the company is trying to promote itself as some dream company to work for with excellent benefits and who genuinely care about their employees. Companies don't care for anyone's health when it comes to $$. And management won't spare a thought to lay them off or screw up their appraisals when the time comes.

4. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Can take up to 2.5 sick days continuously without any HR involved, taking 3 days or more require a visit to the medical office at work with 'fit to work' certificate from the doctor office.

Most use the word 'exhausted' at work to take sick day off. Just an indication to the team/manager, time charged using paid sick leave.

5. Hansa78

Hansa78 Bronze IL'ite

Lately, I had to resign my job...as my lady boss offered me a higher position, which demanded more time and responsibilities. She literally told me that I won't be able to take off for flimsy reasons like " not well, somebody in the family is sick " on the contrary, I should be ready to work for long hours and be there on weekend too if required. She says you just need to pop up a pill and start working.(She has lost her husband, both sons r studying and living away from her. So, she expects everyone to work like a workaholic). We were entitled for 8 days annual leave. But even to grant a single leave she used to crib and humiliate us in front of other staff members.
    I humbly refused her offer and gave the reason saying that I won't be able to balance work and family in this scenario.
    I think most of the companies abroad are giving lot of importance to work/family life balance. Wheres in India they are expecting us to work like slaves in the name of Professionalism.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2017
    BhumiBabe, Nonya, Naari and 1 other person like this.
  6. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

No, it is not any better. It will be the silent killer -'vachu senjiduvanga' (indirect impact).

In my view, ever since the global economy and Mobile phone came into picture, we are expected to be available 24x7 to answer the phone and late night calls. It used to be different team who provided support, but now 'all in one package'.

Instead of 'slave' - it will come down as responsible for your career. If the person sitting next to you, works like crazy and you are also dragged into the game.

Bottom line, Have to play their game! If someone who knows how to play the cards (politics) will be monetarily compensated and well recognized for their effort.

Working these days will be 75% the knowledge/effort and another 25% will be the mental strength to put up with the stress and politics.

Hansa78 and Sandycandy like this.
  7. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I think it depends on the industry and possibly how you draw the line with management. In my own workplace, there are the people who come in early and leave early, who only work while in the office, and those who work even in the evenings and weekends. From the beginning, I made it clear that I will not be able to take my computer home to work, despite my male coworker (who has the same title) does so. I felt like that because unlike my previous job in healthcare IT, the fires I have to put out in education IT don't require immediate assistance.

poovai likes this.