Will my kids adjust easily in Indian Schools in Singapore?

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Singapore' started by mohitraghav, Aug 17, 2011.

1. mohitraghav

mohitraghav New IL'ite

Will my kids adjust easily in Indian Schools in Singapore?

My kids are studying in UKG and play school in Gurgaon, INDIA. School is affiliated from CBSE and their teachers speaks less english in the schools and hence my Kids as well. I am not able to give much time to my kids and My wife is not highly educated. But of course if Singapore, i will be giving my attention to my kids.

My worry is that if i shift to Singapore for better future for 2-3 yrs, will my kids manage easily? Will they have problem in communicating the things in the Indian Schools in Singapore?

If anybody has faced the same problem, please share the experience.

Regards,
    Mohit

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mohit,

Welcome to IL and to Singapore!!

I don't think children face problems adjusting to new environment and school when they are very young. I am a Tamilian and we only speak tamil at home and when my kids joined schools here, they did not face communication problems. The teachers are very understanding and the children learn quickly. Don't worry.

Nonya likes this.
  3. mohitraghav

mohitraghav New IL'ite

Hi ,

Thank you so much for your reply !!

Well, i am also intrested in DPS because we have 2 branches in Gurgaon, INDIA if i come back after 2-3 yrs.

Could you please share the knowledge about the following?
    1) What is the monthly fee for K2 & 1st grade ?
    2) What is the advance Registration Fee?
    3) What is the transport fee? Can we find any house nearby to school and drop and pick my kid ourself?

Regarding House Rent
    If you have any idea, could you please let me know how much will be the rent for 2 room set in any locality near to DPS branch?

Give me one more advice, What i am assuming is the following as monthly expenses. Please correct based on your experience:
    1) Rent - 2000 + 200 (bills)
    2) Kids School - 1000 (adviced by you)
    3) Transport - 200 (for me)
    4) Kitchen - 500
    5) MISC - 200

Please share if you feel you should guide me on smotheing which i missed out.

Thanks again !!

Best Regards,
    Mohit Raghav

4. AkilaMani

Hi Mohit,

For the fee structure, it is best to visit their website dps.edu.sg for more details.

I am not sure about the location of DPS and the HDB around it, hope other ILites would pitch in to given their opinion on it.

Rent generally for 1+1 unit is 1600 to 1900 and 2+1 unit is 1800 to 2400 depending on the locality.

The rest of the estimated expenditure is more or less accurate.

All the best!

5. Vincent4u

Vincent4u New IL'ite

Hi Akila,

I'm from Tamilnadu and planning to relocate to Singapore by March 2018. I have a daughter who is studying in DPS, Bangalore in Upper KG

I was going through the websites for schools in singapore and the fees seems to exorbitantly high . I need inputs on good schools with affordable fees?

I'm clueless as im starting now. Need some help. It would be great if you could provide some insights.
    • Also, Can we get admission in the middle of the year?
    • Which schools teach Tamil, Hindi?

6. AkilaMani

Hi Vincent,

Welcome to SG.

Yes, unfortunately the school fees in international schools is high, also fees for foreigner students in local schools is also high, but slightly less than international schools. Many local PCF kindergartens teach Tamil. I am not sure if Hindi is taught in local kindergartens. Its available in some primary schools. You can find a list of PCF/PAP kindergartens in MOE website and also PCF website. Mid year admissions are common and international schools do them often. Even local schools do mid year admissions if they have seats available.

All the best!

7. Monicka

Monicka New IL'ite

Hi there,

I am riding in the same boat plz advice me whether you were able to get admission in the school for your kids and what is the procedure like, my son has already completed KG1 but he limited when it comes to communicatipc.How does local or international schools select the kids, is there any selection criteria.
    Plz help with your valuable advice.

8. AkilaMani

Hi Monicka,

To my knowledge, there is not much of a selection criteria for KG standard. Please check with any of the neighborhood PCF school to confirm. Its been a long time since I have had kids in kindergarten, so unable to help much with this, but I am pretty sure there is any exam or interview per se.

Best Wishes!!

9. Monicka

Monicka New IL'ite

Thanks Akila

10. AkilaMani

*** there isn't any exam or interview....

sorry for the typo