1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Why We Get Fat?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Jey, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have noticed the same thing too. Something about late night eating causes weight gain even if we have calorie deficit for the day. There was a time when I used to run about 8-10 miles during Saturdays and watched what I ate. So, I know I was creating calorie deficit. When I added icecream during the night to treat for the long run, I felt like I was adding weight. This happened a few times and made me cautious about late night eating. Finishing dinner before 8pm and not eating anything until 8am next morning seems to be a good idea.

Apparently, there is a name for this. TRF.
    A Diet Strategy That Counts Time, Not Calories

momsky and Shanvy like this.
  2. Jey

I have heard more than once about this idea of our body having a weight "setpoint". Something the brain thinks is our ideal weight. And our brain does what it needs to do (create hunger, increase/decrease metabolism, encourage activity, reduce your willpower etc) to manage our weight within that setpoint range. Trying to reduce weight outside of this range is extremely hard because you are fighting the brain. Maybe that is why how much ever hard and long we try and diet, all the weight comes back.

But the unanswered question for me here is how does the brain decides our body's set point weight and what factors cause our brain to change it over time?

This TED video makes an interesting point. She quotes a study (7.30mins into the video)where if we do the 4 healthy habits (eat fruits/vegs, exercise 3 times/week, no cigarette, moderate alcohol), the risk of death is the same regardless of your weight. So, why bother about weight?

3. Jey

Thanks @Nonya for this TED talk.
    Why dieting doesn't usually work

Interesting comment in the video.
    "Dieting requires will power. Because will power is limited, any strategy that relies on its consistent application is pretty much guaranteed to eventually fail you when your attention moves on to something else."

4. Jey

Why dieting doesn't usually work
    @9.30minutes into the video.

I also liked this "Mindful Eating" idea. She says, "Eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. Lot of the weight gain boils down to eating when you are not hungry."

Once I had gained 10 pounds in a matter of 3-6 months. When I reflected back on what changed, the thing that stood out for me was that I was snacking (very small amounts) throughout the day more than normal. Eating when I am not hungry was a problem. Sounds obvious now.

5. Jey

Yes!! This makes us wonder if we are taking weight loss too seriously. I know of plenty of obese people who are happy and contented at 70+.

6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

What do u see urself doing at 70 @Jey ? An answer to this should help provide an insight.

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Jey

In my view, if we need to understand why we become fat, we need to understand a lot about our body.

1) BMI - We need to measure our Body Mass Index to know given our height what should be our range of Body Mass Index. Even though it is a good measure, it varies from place to place and person to person as well. This is an important measure to evaluate from time to time.

2) Metabolism - Like "Know Your Customer" mantra in business, we need to "Know our body". Metabolism is the chemical process through which what we eat or drink is converted into energy for use by our body. If we understand how the metabolism works, there is a good chance, we will be able to better manage and maintain our health.

3) Composition of Carbohydrate, Protein, Fiber & Fat - For us to eat healthy food, we need to understand the proportion of all four we eat everyday - There is a general perception that fat is bad for health and on the contrary, there is a certain level of fat need to be eaten everyday as HDL cholesterol plays an important role in digestive system. Fiber is a little hard to digest and hence takes longer through the digestive system. More we eat fiber, our hunger will be reduced. Many times protein sources we eat has carbohydrate and fat included in it. Eating more carbohydrate than needed, doesn't allow our metabolism to convert energy from fat as it is easier to convert energy from Carbohydrate.

4) It is important to drink water to the level that our body needs everyday - Cold water affects our digestive system negatively and hence it is always advisable to take lukewarm water irrespective of the weather

5) Most of us workout for a specific time everyday or a few days in a week and spend the rest of the time sitting, working and sleeping. It is important to remain active throughout the day. Even if our work is in a desk, it is important to get up and walk a few steps every hour or two.

6) To the extent possible, we should never take a big meal at any given time. It is advisable to take a little 4-5 times a day making the body to think more food will be coming once in 4 hours so that it doesn't source all the energy in one shot. If we eat between long interval, not only we end up eating more but also our body end up converting food into energy and store in our body.

7) Portion control - We have been taught not to waste food from our childhood and hence we end up over eating if we have left overs. It is best to eat only when we are hungry that too a portion to appease the hunger. We should never attempt to eat at any time and feel full in our stomach.

8) Knowledge about what we put in our mouth - To the extent possible, we need to know the nutrient in everything we eat. Calorie count is important but it is more important to know the composition of carbohydrate, protein, fiber and fat.

9) Planning - Source and use of energy need to be planned in a way that they balance out everyday. If our source of energy is larger than use of energy, then, we tend to add weight and if our use of energy is larger than source, we will begin the process of becoming lean.

10) In my experience, working out different parts of the body every week besides a healthy walking, biking, swimming, etc. helps in tuning our body better than just doing one type of exercise.

Viswa

Jey likes this.
  8. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

I have seen one common factor in people who are thin and then gain a lot of weight in older years . they start collecting possessions in their house. your physical body and your house have a corelation . so once you starting buying huge houses and start filling it with things you start gaining weight . start living a minimal lifestyle , reduce your possessions and you will start losing weight...

Jey likes this.
  9. BerryPine

BerryPine Gold IL'ite

I get fat because food love is true love. I'm an Emotional eater and earlier I failed to differentiate my thirst and hunger, however now whenever I see water dispenser/bottles I gulp before embarrassing myself by binge eating.

In general one gets fat by not understanding the connection between food and their body framework. JMO.

Jey likes this.