1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Why Vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Littlerose, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Littlerose

Littlerose Silver IL'ite

Hi Garnislitton,

Nice to hear that u r vegan for 3 months.. continue it for the sake of both ur and the animals n nature's wellbeing. Have a nice day.

wishes n regs,

S. Sriumadevi Srinivasan.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

The other important things I came to know about eating vegetarian food, I wanted to register in this thread. Based on our scriptures, it is my understanding that the food we eat determines our tendencies. If we really would like to develop sattvic tendencies, we need to eat sattvic food. I understand that when we remove the vegetables and fruits from the plant, we do not really hurt the plants as plant continue to exist and develop more vegetables and fruits.

We also need to buy the vegetables from proper sources. If we ever live in an independent house, we should try and grow vegetables and fruit plants and shower our love to them by talking and nursing them every day. If you talk to the plants with love or sing for them, they grow very nicely on the contrary if we scold them, they feel bad. In one of the books I read, author suggested that we need to buy the seeds and keep it in our mouth for a while and then plant them in the ground with our saliva. The plants would provide vegetables and fruits that could cure our health issues.

Lastly, before we eat any food we need to do some prayers to make that food sanctified. It means we could eliminate the bad effects of those vegetables if they were obtained through unfair means or if they were poisonous.

I know it would be difficult for many to believe all of the above, but I would be happy to provide documents to support the above views, if you are interested.

Viswamitra

3. Littlerose

Littlerose Silver IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra,

Nice n happy to see ur reply. Thanks for supporting the views... It'll be nice to provide the scriptures, so that all will know the values of our scriptures n tradition. Also, in this place, it's worth to inform all our friends that apart from Fruits n vegetables giving us health, one more important thing we should bear in mind is, when we r cooking our food, our mind should be completely divine.... at-least peaceful without oscillation r tension, which is quite missing in this tension based artificial life......

The effect of it is, our energy body emits the vibration of whatsoever energy rules us at that point of time... So, if we cook with good n calm mind, it's effect reflects in that food.... so that whoever eats it will automatically be benefited of the maximum benefit that the food can provide us....

So, it's a kind request to whosoever cooks, please before entering into cooking, fresh ur mind, pray God a second before starting cooking thinking that ur food should provide it's maximum positive health to whosoever is eating n that ur food should satisfy their taste quest also well n good n then start cooking...

It's nice to start praying Annapoorani, Nalan before starting to cook..... They r not outside anywhere but within us... so, after reading this, from now, whoever is unaware of all these, pls. try to implement all these in ur lifestyle as much as possible from now... All the best for developing a healthy family....

All i said is not just theories, but the real fact... U can see it's been respected n followed in all the sadhus places, for they knew the original effect of it... Also, if ur kid is not taking food, try for an alternative r pray god heartly that their eating habbit should be developed well rather than scolding the kids to eat so faster as per ur busy schedule...

Have a nice day... More whenever time permits..

wishes n regs,

4. Lalithaaa

Lalithaaa Senior IL'ite

5. Littlerose

Littlerose Silver IL'ite

Dear Lalitha,

Nice to hear from u n thanks for viewing the article... Please try to implement all these slowly in life n suggest to all ur kith n kin also about it's greatness softly whenever time permits.... Have a nice day..

wishes n regs,

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

From Bhagavad Gita 4.24 and 15.14​
    Brahmaarpanam Brahma Havir
    Brahmaagnau Brahmanaa Hutam
    Brahmaiva Tena Gantavyam
    Brahma Karma Samaadhinaha

[This is 24th verse from the 4th chapter of Bhagavad Geetha] The act of offering is Brahman. The offering itself is Brahman. The offering is done by Brahman in the sacred fire which is Brahman. He alone attains Brahman who, in all actions, is fully absorbed in Brahman. (As we chant this prayer we are offering the different types of food to Brahman).
    Aham Vaishvaanaro Bhutva
    Praaninaam Dehamaashritha
    Praanaapaana Samaa Yuktaha
    Pachaamyannam Chatur Vidam
    [This is 14th verse from the 15th chapter of Bhagavad Geetha] This sloka is a sort of acknowledgement and assurance to us from Brahman. "I am Vaishnavara, existing as fire God in the bodies of living beings. Being associated with ingoing (prana) and outgoing (apaana) life breaths, I will digest all the four different types of food (that which we bite and chew; that which we masticate with the tongue; those which we gulp; that which we swallow) and purify them."

Harir Daatha Harir Bhoktha
    Harir Annam Prajaapatih
    Harir Vipra Shareerastu
    Bhoonkte Bhojayathe Harih.

Oh Lord Hari, You are the food, You are the enjoyer of the food, You are the giver of food. Therefore, I offer all that I consume at Thy Lotus Feet.
    [​IMG]

We should partake food with a Sathwic mind. Our ancestors recommended the offering of food to God before partaking. Food so partaken becomes "Prasad" (consecrated offering). Prayer cleanses the food of the three impurities; caused by the absence of cleanliness of the vessel, cleanliness of the food stuff, and cleanliness in the process of cooking. It is necessary to get rid of these three impurities to purify the food; for, pure food goes into the making of a pure mind. It is not possible to ensure the purity of the cooking process, since we do not know what thoughts rage in the mind of the man who prepares the food. Similarly, we cannot ensure the cleanliness of the food ingredients as we do not know whether it was acquired in a righteous way by the seller who has sold it to us. Hence, it is essential on our part to offer food to God in the form of prayer, so that these three impurities do not afflict our mind. The prayer:
    Brahmaarpanam Brahma Havir
    Brahmaagnau Brahmanaa Hutam
    Brahmaiva Tena Gantavyam
    Brahma Karma Samaadhinaha
    Aham Vaishvaanaro Bhutva
    Praaninaam Dehamaashritha
    Praanaapaana Samaa Yuktaha
    Pachaamyannam Chatur Vidam
    Harir Daatha Harir Bhoktha
    Harir Annam Prajaapatih
    Harir Vipra Shareerastu
    Bhoonkte Bhojayathe Harih.
    "The food thus offered to God is digested by 'Vaishwanara" in the digestive system. Since God exists in the form of fire as Vaishwanara, He digests the food along with the impurities. So, man will not be affected even if the impurities enter the food."

1 person likes this.
  7. Littlerose

Littlerose Silver IL'ite

Dear Sir,

Nice to hear from u and ur detailed scriptural support for being vegetarian and thanks for intimating as how one should mentally prepare themselves before cooking n before starting to eat rather than just cooking n eating in this artificial driven lifestyle. Thanks once again. Do share more. Have a nice day.

wishes n regs,

8. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Nice informative post:)

I agree with other posters, the foods we eat tells a lot about us. I guess since the food we eat is a choice we make it reflects in other aspects of our life also. Applies to junk food along with non-veg.

It is said that fasts are observed to increase will power and develop restraint. These are self-regulatory rituals which are for purifying and strengthening us at the same time.

9. Littlerose

Littlerose Silver IL'ite

Dear Polymorphic,

Thanks for viewing the article. Yes, what u tell is true. Overeating is very dangerous to health and mind... Overeating makes our mind work more and even many a people get more dreams trouble due to over eating... So, all should have that also in mind. Take care. Have a nice day.

wishes n regs,

10. sumalathaa

sumalathaa Junior IL'ite

hi,

can you please tell me whether egg is vegeterian or non -vegeterian. some say as egg will not be turned in to chick because it is not produced naturally, egg is vegetrerian.