1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why shouldnt girls do the final ceremony for parents?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by amnilakshmi, Sep 18, 2015.

1. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi

I have this question in mind always. Though girls are considered to be in par with gents, why aren't they allowed to do the final formalities when parents are considered. There is still this opinion that boys are required to do the final death formalities. what is your opinion on this

1 person likes this.

2. daisy2015

daisy2015 Platinum IL'ite

Even I have this doubt in my mind. Till date I didn't get any solid reason why girls can't do the last rituals of her parents. Whenever this question is raised they say not to argue about old traditions. Let's see if we will get an answer here at IL.

1 person likes this.
  3. sangeethakripa

sangeethakripa Gold IL'ite

Like us, many have the same doubts. Hope some senior members or one who is knoweldged may throw some clarifications on this and waiting to know about it.

What is the case of the parents with only girl child?

1 person likes this.
  4. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

in such cases parents start feeling inferior and lonely with age.... They keep repeating that there is no one to take care during the old age... they also quote that there is no one to do the last formailities... hearing these things again and again will definitely make the girl child helpless

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

It is just tradition or practice or ritual or whatever. You can't argue with sentiment. There will be no basis for a discussion. Women could take on and do it as long as she gets the supportive 'cast' because if we are still talking about tradition, we are going to need the pundit to go with the new plan.

A relative passed away and instead of her husband doing with rites, her grandson did it because he was very close to her. I suppose the 'rules' were bent. Similarly, it sure is a possibility. Who is going to bell the cat?

6. Sindhujaft

Sindhujaft Gold IL'ite

Even i dont have any idea about this... But I share my view here... I used to question a lot in my childhood regarding all these rituals , customs that we follow like why only Men to do this or why only Women for certain things... They used say because earlier all the rituals, customs whatever we follow in the society was framed by Men... And thus most of the cases are favoured to Men. And thats y some ppl say this a Male chauvinist society (No Offence pls)... So May be because of that i guess it should be done only by Men...

Regards,
    Sindhuja

sindmani, premabarani and yellowmango like this.
  7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

One reason I have heard is that women are delicate and emotional by nature and it is not easy for them to see it all.

We have told our daughters to do it for us in an electric crematorium.Hope it is not difficult for them .We don't need a religious ceremony ,so pandit's approval is not required.

I have seen one cremation...it is not an easy sight. I think we should let the daughters decide .

8. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

I agree with YM, may be this custom was made as ladies are sensitive in nature compared to gents.....but personally I feel it's daughter's right and responsibility also to do the final ceremony...what about the parents who doesn't have any sons?

Recently I read a news in the news paper about a daughter performing funeral for her father.....everyone accepted that.....Thank God slowly customs and people's point of view is changing...

2 people like this.
  9. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Actually when our mother passed away last month, we 4 daughters (no sons) agreed to do away with unnecessary hype and decided to do simple rituals of Arya Samaj , which is also a proper Hindu organization. As such we all went and participated in the cremation, and later on the 13th day performed purification ceremony wherein we all performed homam.

It should be noted that our father who died earlier did not believe in such rituals, though mother had some respect for our dharma. Even she was not very strict about it. So we found a mid way to settle things, and are perfectly satisfied. After the ceremony the priest explained how things are misinterpreted. Finally it is all convenience .

Fortunately we are all past 50 and no older person to dictate terms or rules.(very Important condition)

6 people like this.
  10. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

I have not seen a cremation but what I have heard of even that seems very difficult to be done to ur near n dear ones....the mere sight of my father's dead body was enough to send me in a fit...I couldn't imagine to perform last rituals for him...so I can understand why women are not allowed to do last rituals....not every woman can do this because of sensitive nature....but yes if a woman can do this then it should be allowed...
    We only have daughter's so now it's a thought for me to ponder on....I don't want electric cremation....so I have to think ABT it now...haaah....

1 person likes this.