Why should we not go near God, during periods?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sanju, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Nithyananda Uda

Nithyananda Uda New IL'ite

way back we did not have showers, running water, soap, etc. so our personal hygiene naturally was not at its peak. today there is no reason not to attend a temple during times of period. i have always done it without even thinking any of those thoughts you ladies have.
    as to taking rest during that time, no, never, life goes on as usual. the body is not weaker during period. you can do anything you want to. using tampons you can even go swimming.
    and of course there is also male chauvinism there...
    the best is not to be influenced by society but do what you FEEL is right. your innate intelligence knows best. listen to it...

2. Uma Jogi

Uma Jogi Senior IL'ite

hi IL's
    i too feel like why not we shouldnt go to temples during our periods..!!
    i believe we are created by GOD and what all we have these cycles and all are also a part of GOD's creation...!! but the only logical reason could be it wld strain ourselves...so i guess this could be the reason...and moreover these days they say like if we take 5 times head bath then all the Sin is gone and even we are on our second day but have done 5times headbath then it is fine..!! i didnt get the logic of these baths..!! bonk

Anyhow... whatever the elders say is for our sake ..so lets not disappoint them...!!
    and we cant know what is good n bad in case of GOD...so just follow our traditions ..!! rite...!!

3. priyauc

priyauc Bronze IL'ite

dear ils,
    god is everywhere....even within us. god has created this menstural cycle.i dont think we shud remin hooked to these ancient superstitions.be hygienic thats most important.

4. sshantha

sshantha New IL'ite

Dear All,

I read all your thoughts and comments on this topic. I also have this question in my mind. I was brought up with this belief that one should not go near the God or the pooja room etc or hear/chant slokas etc during period times. None of my family members could give me a satisfying answer to it. I also belive that there has to be some reason both spiritually and scientifically to this.

I was reading one article about Why women should not chant Gayathri Mantra? It said that there is a controversy existing that women should not recite Gayatri mantra. As a matter of fact neither do the vedic scripts nor the sanatana dharma discriminate women. On the contrary, womanhood is held in the highest esteem, and women are respected as Maa, (Mother) irrespective of their age and status. In ancient days also women were the leading managers and heading their homes while their counterparts were scouting for daily needs. But then why they are not allowed to take part in the rituals? Why were/are they not allowed to chant some of the Vedic versus?
    It is idely believed that some of the Vedic Versus like Gayathri, Rudram.., vibrations are so powerful in nature. (The slokas has to be said correctly, with proper pronunciations and volume and in the prescribed fashion ). Once a woman starts chanting these versus regularly, in majority of cases, it might cause hormone disturbances in the body's physical mechanism and disturb their menstrual cycle.This might cause frequent health set back for a women, if she chants or recites some of the slokhas like Gayatri very often. However, they were allowed to do so once they cross their menopause stage, then the chances of disturbances in their body mechanism were minimal. Also the Gland functional in their body stops, at certain age - any further physical growth is minimal. Certainly it was not for any discriminations but purely on the aforesaid reasons and points.

Every ritual and practice of this Great Hindu religion has a valuable hidden meaning. Unfortunately these were not carried on to the next generation that caused some imbalances in the society. Had it been given in full meaning, we very well could have avoided fanatics & half learnt scholars who now dictate and discriminate women on so many counts.

And I am assuming this could also be a reason for Ladies not to go to temple during their periods as vedic versus are always chanted in temples.

Cheers
    Shantha
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> hasEML = false; </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- gLaunchProfile.stop("T4"); --> </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- gLaunchProfile.start("T6"); --> </SCRIPT><FORM name=showMessageForm action=showMessage;_ylt=AijtU_DMmjgA0XPvWsgGg.hjk70X?mid=1_1420_AHPsjkQAAHgZSIO40gPMSE9ckpA&fid=Sent&sort=date&order=down&startMid=0&.rand=914984733 method=post> </FORM>

5. tempy72

tempy72 Senior IL'ite

Changannur Bhagawati temple kerela

<small>hi there is one more "Changannur Bhagawati" temple in kerela where is godess is believed to have periods.
    </small>

6. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Changannur Bhagawati temple kerela

Hi all,

I too had those questions.... Y we shouldn't go to temple & do pooja... Never had proper answer. Never went to temple & Pooja to respect ppl's belief!!!!

In my Moms or in in-laws i had no restriction other than touching Pooja items... Even during puberty i din hv much restriction. I took rest only during my puberty!!! Other than puberty time, had regular life!!!

Too add to this debate, Other than the normal days, i feel GOD or mind starts to think in GOD's way during periods!!! I never understood y? Any answers to it????

7. harisur

harisur New IL'ite

I have always thought of periods as the bane of our ladies lives. I always tell my husband that God has done ladies the injustice of having all the physical sufferings and none for the men. He answers by saying that men carry all the emotional problems more than the ladies and I ask him if he is joking! Another major factor of periods time is sitting seperately while having it. For me, I was born in a family where my mom only restricted me coming near the God and nothing else. My father and brothers din't even know when I used to have it. My in-laws house is another story. My MIL is very strict about it and made my life miserable whenever I had the misfortune of having it while living with her. She used to treat me like an untouchable, going to the extreme of not even entering the room where I sat. She made me move away from the dinner plate everytime she came close to serve after each course(incase she slips and fall on me!) One time she accidently touched the cup I drink water and she took a bath allover again. I am still so disgusted with her behavior and pray to God I don't get my periods when I stay with her when I visit India. I escape to my mom's house when I know its nearing. My SsIL have told me horror stories about their childhood stories with her when they get their periods and I used to feel so sorry for them. Are there other ladies who have gone thru those 3 days like me?

8. nirmusri

nirmusri Junior IL'ite

Dear All

I too had those questions.... Y we shouldn't go to temple & do pooja... Never had proper answer. presently one more question raised to mind is if my mom said during my sister periods also.she is not going to temple and doing pooja at home.but when did pooja this time.my mom shouted at me saying, what were pooja you are doing at this time is of no use.

my question is the periods is the natural things which god is given to all the ladies.But then too why they troubles ladies so much by treating them so badly at periods time.

Please let me knw ur sugguestions & opinions on the same.

thanks in advance.

9. swap0106

swap0106 New IL'ite

frankly i think temples and god were places of hygiene and positive energy. To maintain this they said women cant come. secondly in those days travel was tough with no cars tc so for a woman to have such physical strain would have been tough. it is best to be non-stressed during such times as we see so many cases of PMS these days due to stress. Somewhere, somehow the restrictions imposed and the system of rest followed earlier was working?!!!!

10. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

Re: Y Shoulnt We Go Near God During Periods

That is the Chengannoor Bhagawathy temple where the goddess menstruates every month. The red cloth which is adorned is given to devotees as a special gift.