1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why should i chnage my name????

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Dolfin, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Dolfin

Dolfin Senior IL'ite

That is exactly what i said Seema + my father's name + Iyer.....BUT that is not ok with him.
    He says it should be same as Iyer like him. It seems according to him this signifys my change to the different family. I disagree with this. If it was like he wants me to replace his name with my father's name i would have still got it (though not agreed).
    My thg is (no offence to anyone) i am a iyer by birth, I hav had my father's name and love it. Now to change my father's name to keep it as iyer."IYER" is like not that imp in my name as my father's name.
    It is not like i have anythg against iyer it is just that it is not as significant for me to change my father's name for it.

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Some battles are worth fighting for and some are not. But what goes into which bucket is different for different people. If retaining ur dads name is important to you ..then I think you should .
    I personally find ur DHs attitude of "my way only " quite disturbing when a middle ground is possible. Is he this way in most matters ? OR is this surname thing..an exception ?

3. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

I agree with Sandhya and justanothergirl. I too didn't change my last name after my marriage and my name everywhere including passport, bank documents etc is my maiden name .Where ever I introduce myself( to get appointments etc) I say my maiden name only and I am happy for that.Even I have school going kids and my kids very well that my last name is their grandpa's name.Even if someone asks me about different last name I am cool to explain them.So why worries dear?

4. Dolfin

Dolfin Senior IL'ite

I love u guys....it is sooooo nice to be able to talk about this aaaaaahhhhhhhh :))
    justanothergirl.....it is just this. it is like i sometimes dont get it coming from him.
    He is a guy like most indian guys "my family"...so now his wife is doing somethg his mother has not ;)

When I ask myself why i dont want to change; it is not only coz it is my dad's name. I have had it for life i dont want to change it just coz i got married. Second, I dont want to change it for IYER. And somethg i realised was, if i change, will i hold it against him.

5. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

Well said, CL! Of having caste names as last names.

True that, JAG!
    Personally, this is something that I'm ready to let go off for my BF's sake. He would like me to change my last name after I get married. I havent decided yet of how I would do it. But that brings so much happiness to him, that I think I can personally give it up for him. My dad's name was never part of my name. His name was always my initial. When, I came to the USA, I expanded the initial and made it my last name. So maybe I would have it a middle initial. And most definitely, for my BF's happiness, I would change my last name. IMO, it is something that I 'would' give up, compared to the million things he has 'already' given up for me! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Dolfin,

These days most women dont change their names after they get married.... I didnt change my name... was never asked about it too. My mom-in-law has not changed hers.. She still goes by her maiden name. (Though she once remarked that I should change it...and cited a really silly reason for that, but I did not budge). My husband and I once thought about changing both our names to a smaller one, but we gave up on that too.. We still talk about it though. But honestly, this is somehting you need to decide. Talk to your husband about you wishing to meet him half way.. If it does not work out, just leave it..

Mythili

1 person likes this.
  7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Hmmm...I see...Dolfin....:coffeewell times have changed and girls today dont think like their moms.
    I completely get u...my last name is a very important part of me ..the way I first established myself in the world long before DH came along. To give it up would have been like giving up a part of my identity. DH didn't /doesn't care but even if he did ...I dont think I would have done it .Because of what u wrote
    "and then resent him".

PS.Agree with CL and SSC..I personally dont prefer to make a statement about my caste through my last name..like Iyer or Iyengar..but then to each their own.

1 person likes this.
  8. rpm2

rpm2 Senior IL'ite

I am married into an Iyer community and I chose not to change my name. We have been married for more than 10 yrs and have 2 kids. We all have different last names and we are personally fine with it. It is a hassle when we have to do address change but otherwise, different last names have not bothered us.

It is an emotional and practical decision to make. It is such a hassle to change names in these times, especially if you are working and have a passport before marriage.

On the other hand, if my husband was Bachchan, I would have added his last name to mine, like Aishwarya rai bachchan :rotfl

2 people like this.
  9. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Regarding the name, let me tell you my experience. I got married 38 years back. I did not care for my Father in law at all. He passed away before he got married. I knew him only for 3 months, couldn't stnad hi,m. Whgen we had over son, we named him after my fil. After that no mention of his name. Great for me. Then we moved to USA. My husband name is now my father in law's name . In Tamil Nadu, we have our father name as an initial. But here when we expand it, it became my husband's official first name. I couldn't do it any thing. So don't make fuss about the changing names. If you want your maiden name, keep it. Enjoy the life with your DH. God bless you.

1 person likes this.
  10. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

There are several ladies who are using their maiden names after their marriage and there are no issues with their Dhs.
    But if this turns into a ego tussle then its bad. It could mean that there are underlying currents of resentment.It should not blow up into something bigger and create a rift in the happy marital life.
    The DH could be feeling that the DW finds his family inferior and does not want to be associated with it.
    Or the DW is not willing to identify with her new family .
    All over the world the wife takes the name of her DH after marriage, maybe thats why the DH is finding it weird!
    Keeping both the names is a good solution and the DH should be OK with it.