Why 'Margashirsha' masa, in Bhagvatgita?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sweetshreya, Apr 4, 2013.

1. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

In Gita, Lord Krishna says, "out of all the moths, I'm the Margashirsha masa".

Margashirsha falls during Nov-Dec. I couldn't understand why is Margashirsha special. :confused2: It does not have any major festivals. It is also not the time of sowing or crop cutting or anything like that. Then why Margashirsha? What is the significance of this month, from the context of Gita? Everywhere I've read, I found it is said to be special because of the above mentioned shloka in the Gita. But why was it deemed greater than all other months by The Lord at the first place?

Does anyone know? :hide:

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

I believe it is the month where the only celebration is the contemplation of God...and therefore the most auspicious. The interpretation is that Krishna is the culmination of the most auspicious.

1 person likes this.
  3. arthimahalakshm

arthimahalakshm Gold IL'ite

as far as i know,marhashirsha considered dawn of devas.so we have to pray in the whole month.this is the reason according to hindu mythology.
    according to modern scientific reasoning during that month more ozone is available in the mornings.i consider you are not a southindian.during this month we south indian ladies draw really very big rangolis in the front yard and spend time in open air between3.00a.m to 6.oo a.m.gents and children after taking bathe they go rounds around the streets by singing bajans and their final destination willbe temples where everyday spl poojas arranged.
    my opinion is as it falls during winter people may become lethargic and concentrate on exercise.so these practices help to concentrate on health along with spirutual indulgence

3 people like this.
  4. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the explanation, Arthi. It has started to makes some sense now .... :)