1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why it is always difficult to be honest about your feelings ?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Aug 7, 2013.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Why do we see being honest as something to be afraid of or as something we shouldn't do?

Why are we so comfortable with the alternative—lying?

After reading some threads here (I don't like to name any) and meeting some real life people in the recent days, I started having this thought.

What exactly we hope to get by not being truthful..

I understand that one shouldn't be harsh, shouldn't hurt the other by being honest about their feelings. That's a different scenario.

My point is different...

Scenario:- I met my colleague at the lunch table here at my office today. We had lunch together.
    When there was a talk about her husband and family.. she immediately started pretending as if everything was going smooth in her life. She started preaching as how her ignorance and tolerance at the beginning helped her to reach at peace. Her preaching eventually made me feel uncomfortable, as I started feeling bad for my fighting nature when it comes to my own family problems.
    No wonder, this women became the hot topic of the day at our office now. Its been almost 4 hrs since our discussion, and everyone started talking about her positive nature and successful life. That is including me too:bonk

Well, just a few seconds before I started this thread... the woman came to say bye to me, and passed my office room by talking to some auto driver in the phone...
    She clearly said to him that she can not wait at the office till 5.30pm (one additional hr), so asked the auto driver (seems he is their regular auto driver) to leave her MIL at the hospital and pick her up. She was rude and used some nasty-harsh local language that can not be translated here... but the rough translation is:- "why can't that old **** lady wait at the hospital, what is she gonna do at home now, I am the one who pay your salary, so you better come now".

I don't know how many of us overheard her TP conversation. I don't know how many of us know her local language to understand her conversation. But I did:hide:

She didn't have to give that lecture to us at the first place if she is not so well with her in laws. But she gave us hard time by making us feel so upset about our own fights, and then she behaves 100 times worst than what we could even imagine to behave with our in laws.
    Perhaps her harsh behavior and acting nature could be a reason for her peaceful life of today.

I was wondering... what would be the difference if she was to be truthful about her life?
    Would you rate a woman so down just because she has a bad marriage or bad in law?
    Are we still living in the stone age to behave so?
    Then what's the need to pretend as if everything is normal in your life.. Is that just to gain some respect in public?
    After all, do you think your respect is in your in laws' hands?????

ORRR... Are we really measuring someone's reputation based on what they preach????

I can very well understand if someone want to hide their personal matters, and pretend to be normal. After all, it is their personal. No one need to know that.
    But if you want to share it in public, then why to lie? why not to be honest?

Just thought of writing this here, as I could not brush this matter off that easily... A vent though :hide:

sindmani and Barbie2013 like this.

2. Barbie2013

Barbie2013 Silver IL'ite

SGBV need ur reply for my recent post

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear SGBV,

We create a lot of conflict in our mind when our thoughts about our situation at home is totally different from the life we project outside. I can understand privacy reasons not to share our personal difficulties but if we decide to confide with someone, we should be truthful. Leading double life makes us become a split personality and over a period of time, our mind has two separate personalities. Of course, everyone prefers to present the best of their behavior with others. But are we the same even when no one is watching? The best check would be to watch our thoughts and actions when we are alone.

Viswa

sindmani likes this.
  4. momandme

momandme Silver IL'ite

Have you seen facebook? And the kind of updates people put? Appears as though life is a bed of roses, doesn't it?
    People like to appear to have perfect lives. Also there is a matter of how honest we want to be with different kind of people. For eg: my best friend would probably know about all my problems, but I prefer that my colleague at work not know about it........But then, that means that I don't want to share everything with everyone and not outright lying, as your colleague did!

sindmani and arch1209 like this.