1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why is it that the older one gets the more tolerance one has for her partner?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by paulmac, Feb 3, 2012.

1. paulmac

paulmac New IL'ite

In the beginning little things he did (or did not do) upset me. Years later I look back and smile (to myself) at these slights. Why is it that the older one becomes the more tolerance one has? You would think that the reverse would be true - but it isn't.

1 person likes this.

2. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Our maturity level and understanding increases as we grow older and what seemed important at one time seem trivial and insignificant today ... I remember the fights arguments that i had with my dh when i was newly married and now when i look back, i think i was incredibly foolish... and so was he :p It is all part of growing together in the relationship i guess...that we are able to look back and smile.

2 people like this.
  3. indianinbayarea

indianinbayarea New IL'ite

I agree with you Mansi. Infact when I have a fight with my wife, it hurts me afterwards like " really. We had a fight over this". I am sure as time goes by, we would remember what we did few year back and how we fought, made up etc etc. I mean its part of growing up.

I am sure many couples when they grow older will look back and laugh at themselves for the small fights they had over the course of their married life. Infact I feel like fights should be there, it only makes the bodn more stronger.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

If i were to ask this to my DH, he would reply quirky "well you get used to this (don't waste your energy), and will come to a clear understanding that this person is just this and nothing more"..

To me, i feel, marriage teaches you adjustments, ups and downs, compromises (note there is a vast difference between adjustments and compromises, you can have a lot of adjustments but lot of compromises leads to the downfall of a relationship if it is by a single person..) it allows you to grow as a person, as a couple.

What looked a mountain, fews years back looks like a mole, because you grow, the priority list changes, as a couple , as a person and you tend to accept the person as a whole package.

1 person likes this.
  5. paulmac

paulmac New IL'ite

Thanks. I guess you're right. The older one gets the more pespective one has.
    I am a technically a senior I guess. Although I don't know where the time has gone. Just yesterday I was young and now people defer to me because they perceive me as older. When I look through my eyes at the world I still feel young. I'm not sure what has happened. I'm not sure what else I should say.

6. RJMK

RJMK Silver IL'ite

I think more then age it is the eperience that we gain in life that makes us tolerant.Initially little stuff rom my In-laws used to irk me but now the same stuff dont bother me at all.Maybe I have learnt to live with it and have become tolerant towards it..My husband's attitude and many such things which made me react doe not bother me now..Guess you are right..With time we just get used to it