Why is a Guru essential according to our scriptures?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Oct 25, 2007.

1. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

A very enlightening post on Guru and I also enjoyed the feedbacks. We are fortunate to have you as our cyber Guru, who helps us atleast get initiated..! Many of your posts in the spiritual forum has influenced the way I think and whenever I read Deivathin Kural, how I wish MahaPeriva was still alive and I am able to clarify doubts with him directly. Guru-shishya parampara is such a unique feature of our culture and I am glad you wrote about it. I recently attended an arangetram and the teacher in her speach insisted on the importance of learning from a Guru even in this internet era.

-Gayathri.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Gayathri,
    Thanks.
    Yes, as you write guru-sishya parampara is a unique feature of our culture, however much we learn from interactions with almost everybody we come across.
    Paying obeissance to guru on Guru Purnima & Vijayadasami are also considered very auspicious.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Chits,

Another post with clear rendition on the topic. I love the example of alcohol, insect and the man. There are few around who feel life and its experiences are "True Guru" and we need not go in search of one. The example of deciphering a visual exactly leads to the pathway that each mind has its own trigger and we push it the way we want it. A Guru will help us to analyze our own decipher and elevate us to a higher level. It takes time to get our "Chith" all in control to follow a Guru, but, once we plug the holes of our thoughts, it becomes easy.

Good one again, chitu !!!

4. Chitvish

Dear Applepie,
    You came late, but latest like my dear rajani !:crazy
    The guru is mainly to get our doubts clarified; otherwise we interpret things to our convenience !
    Thanks for joining us here, Mals !
    Love,
    Chits.

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra,

As of now, I am getting a lot of information and explanations about spirituality from you! I need not elaborate as to what that makes you!
    One has to be at the right place at the right time. Still bonded in samsara, I do not have the liberty to go in search of the right GuRu, a physical one! Thanks to modern day and times, reasonably good alternatives are presenting themselves and if one is aware, one can make the best use of it...And maybe, prepare oneself when the GuRu finally appears, that is , if one is fortunate enough:)
    Till then, I will make use of your forum which is giving me more than I asked for.....

L, Kamla

6. Chitvish

Dear Kamla,
    Thanks for your post.
    We are bonded in samsara and leave alone attempt coming out of it, we do love it somewhere as well.
    So long as dependance continues, samsara continues.
    Make an intention, seeking a guru. If not in this janma, you will be blessed in the next or further janmas !
    Love,
    Chithra.