Why does anyone want to stay abroad If India is another USA ??

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by anika987, Sep 15, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hmm..ok guys..I am going to be very honest and Jot down my points on why I wanna go back..

Here goes..

1) I miss India.I won't say sense of belonging coz people are also nice here but inwardly I feel I am an Indian and I like the things I did in India,and I am doing it here also but I am not westernized or really cool or able to adapt completely like many other Indians do.for eg..I DO NOT watch sports like baseball or basketball coz I am not at all interested.I do not know any players names.I do not watch much English serials but watch only tamil,hindi or Malayalam movies more..

2) I like Indian temples.Not saying I go to temples every single day (Actually in a way I did back then)but there is only ONE Indian temple in every 2 hour distance.

3) Indian atmosphere every day feels festive.Lots of functions,festivals,colors,music..it is TOO LIVELY.

4) WEATHER.I will definitely take summer any day for that winter.it is too gloomy.

5) PEOPLE.I do not need to even make friends everyday but atmosphere is too quiet,not much people,no sounds NOTHING.

6) People seem to have more interest to dress up there honestly.to be very frank,in India we know we will be judged by other people.Bad or good,we all like appreciation.so,the urge to look good is evident.you feel good to dress up.Here,even if you have unkempt hair and go to grocery store,nobody cares.It is supposed to be a good thing,however you seem to lose a certain interest in dressing.
    (THE ABOVE POINT IS APPLICABLE ONLY TO ME)

7) I honestly do not care about family coz in my family,they showed their true colors.However,the opportunity to meet more people is more there.

8) homemaker in America?after kids grow up?IMAGINE!!!

9) If I do not go now,I can never ever return back after kids grow up

those are some points.
    I do not know if it is valid or not...you can be honest..

2 people like this.
  2. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Same here. They were so disappointed though being here for 16 years I still speak with Indian accent. To someone who said said about my indian accent and how am I working with Whites I responded " I work in IT and live in silicon valley. If they want their work done, they better understand our accent or its their loss, not mine"

I really don't have superiority complex, I just wanted to annoy her as they think we indians in US are second class citizens.

I never had any issues or discussion about our accent with the people with whom I work with. Sometime I feel its we who make big deal about English or Accent.

5 people like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

hi,

can you tell me if my reason are valid....

4. JustAnotherMom

And Kalpana, Ofcourse.. I also miss India though I don't even wanted to go there even on vacation ( personal reasons).

I miss to wear Pattu sarees, I just sit and browser those beautiful sarees.
    I miss to go for marriages wearing saree, jwllery and jasmin flower.
    I miss temples of kerala
    I miss rain
    I miss the financial security I had it in India.
    Above all these
    I miss my MOM

Yet, I don't want to go to India even for a 3 week vacation.

I'm also worried about the retirement age, will we be able to afford this country when we won't be able to work like this?. Only time will be answer to this question.

3 people like this.
  5. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Valid or not- only you can decide. It really does not matter what anyone except you and your family thinks.

To me, it is the peace and quite of suburban life that I love. I don't like to hear traffic noise or any other loud noise around my home. I love living in a beautiful cul-de-sac where the only traffic is from the residents or their guests coming or going.

I love to own a home with a huge yard where my kids can run around and play. I love that you can swim in your own pool or indulge in my hobby of gardening growing different vegetables or flowers.

I love the fact that my children can pursue any activities they like- horse riding or skiing or other sports. Every opportunity is available to those that want it.

I love the fact that I could learn the things that I always dreamt about but never thought would materialize. I learned to fly and was successful in obtaining a private pilot certification.

I love the fact that I can enjoy a beautiful spring days just as much as hot summer day or a crisp fall day or a snow covered winter day.

If every day is a festival day, it stops being so special. I grew up in India so I know there are just as many mundane days there. I also know every day can be special if I make it count.

Libraries- Did I mention the wonderful libraries? or beautiful parks?

OP- theses are the other sides of coin. You ask 10 people and you will 10 opinion. I would reiterate- if you miss India go back. Life is too short to be unhappy. If money is what is keeping you here, it is not worth it.

3 people like this.
  6. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Yes with all my heart I miss wearing pattu sarees and the South Indian temples :(

Thank God my family comes is here very often or else it would be difficult.

JAM- In my mind, I imagine you in a pattu sares and jeweler and flowers but the face is of that actress you had in your profile picture thinkingsmiley

5 people like this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Me too :):confused2:

2 people like this.
  8. JustAnotherMom

People say indian dress suit me better and I do look lovely in saree ( being 5' 7).
    But when we moved to India for a shorter period, though I was wearing saree every single day, I was feeling so sad that I can't wear jeans or skirts. ( 1, I'm plumb, 2) I was in Chennai 3) Living very close to MIL)

Now I wear all the short skirts and dresses and yearn for Pattu saree and mullapoo.

So, What is the lesson learned? Ekkarakku akkara pacha ( Other side is always Green)

5 people like this.
  9. JustAnotherMom

4 people like this.
  10. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

OP,

You jotted down all the points which every NRI think of atleast part of their living outside india..but, did you make any effort in going back is the point. When you are very sad abroad and cannot live a single there, then why you are there...list them also to your self and prioritize your family and your needs and plan accordingly, if you are more effected psychologically than financially then better return to Mother land and live happily without thinking of same points you mentioned above...

Good luck with your move

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    2 people like this.