Why does anyone want to stay abroad If India is another USA ??

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by anika987, Sep 15, 2014.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

I have also seen this. It's a Bangalore thing, imo. I know several folks from B'lore who speak neither their original mother tongue nor Kannada in spite of living there for years. Maybe B'lore is a cosmopolitan city where it is easy to get by with just English or maybe the culture there is only to speak English.

In contrast, Hyderabad everyone will know a smattering of Telugu/urdu, at the very least. Delhi - all ppl, north Indian or South Indian, WILL know hindi and some punjabi terms, etc etc. It is a function of the city, I think, you will pick up what you need to get by in daily life.

3 people like this.
  2. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

There is absolutely no explanation for why people in USA want to stay in India.

India was a great civilization at one time, and perhaps that sacred aura is hidden beneath the stench of Kali Yuga ..........

1 person likes this.
  3. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

I will certainly try to find it and post it here.

1 person likes this.
  4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Kalpana...here is the link. Neeya Naana - English vs. Tamil
    Neeya Naana |

And I am not sure if this is a Bangalore thing either...
    An experience I had in Chennai at the Nalli store in T-Nagar.

We were purchasing Saris for a function and after selecting everything I sat down while waiting for the bill to be made. A mami came and sat next to me and said "what a crowd, there is always a crowd here, and now its wedding season, its worse". I replied in Tamil "Amaam, aana ingey mattum thaan older patterns kidaikum (Yes, but this is the only place where they still carry the older patterns of Pattu Saris)"

We continued this conversation for a while. Me all the time in Tamil (and I live in the US) and this lady the entire time in English. So I finally switched to English and asked her if she was also from the US. For that she replied "NO! I have never left India. I am from Adayar - proud to be born and brought up in Chennai"

I laughed internally. And these same people are the first ones to jump at NRI kids for not speaking Tamil.

4 people like this.
  5. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

@DK1- I have had similar experiences even with relatives who never left India but will talk to me in English and I reply in Malayalam or Tamil. Most poeple ( including friends are disappointed I still don't have American accent after spending a decade here. I tell them I like the way I speak and Americans understand me without difficulty so I don't see the need to change :)

4 people like this.
  6. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Yes, DKI and sdiva , I have also an Indian accent. That is the way who I am. I look like
    talk like and live like Indian on this foreign soil. There is a saying far away mountains
    have no flaws. Because we can't see them. So Indians following westerners . Westerners are moving towards India. Kalpana if you want to move to India , move
    asap . Your kids are small they will pick up study, language faster. Good luck!

3 people like this.
  7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

To clarify: I am not talking about people who know 2-3 languages but choose to speak English only. That is quite common and not noteworthy, to me at least. These ppl, mainly non-kannadigas, lived there for 10+ years -- school, college or college, job -- but never learnt a single word of the local language or mother tongue. Just used English everywhere, opted sanskrit in school for 2nd etc.This is not about refusal to speak but being unable to speak. I really found it astonishing. Hope this made it clear.

1 person likes this.
  8. vini31

vini31 Gold IL'ite

yes I do agree, I find Indians in the US more indian than those living in india, neither do they speak the local language nor mother tongue, quite sadly ape the not so good details of the west, if u need all the unhealthy food, parties etc etc .... then there is better quality of those in the US,

think on the purpose for your move and descide

2 people like this.
  9. vini31

vini31 Gold IL'ite

I personally accept it is but a really bad situation wherein, i hv studied Kannada as a 3rd language for close to 4-5 years, though I speak the language, I cannot read or write Kannada very fluently, i barely manage to join the alphabets and read the sentence, now maybe it is too late to learn

1 person likes this.
  10. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

(removed, out of context)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014