Why do we light a lamp ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 16, 2006.

1. PavitraVenkat

PavitraVenkat Gold IL'ite

Re: speedy recovery

Dear Chithra amma,

Its been a long time since I've visited this forum and your recipe section. Hope you are doing great. :)
    I have few doubts about lighting the lamp and who could answer best than you :)

1. We normally decorate the lamp with kumkum. How many 'pottu' should we keep? 3 or 5?
    2. Should we decorate the lamp with kumkum before or after lighting the wicks? I normally decorate before I light the wicks. Once during our apartment's ganesh pooja, I was told by someone that we should apply the kumkum dots only after lighting the wick.

Would be happy to hear from you.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

There is no rule about the no: of pottus. You can make it as decorative or as simple as you like.
    I always put chandanam & kumkum & then only light the lamp.

3. naliniravi

naliniravi Gold IL'ite

Dear Madam,

I just gone through whole thread today only, it is very educative for me as I don't know much of worship, though I light the lamp in the mornings in front of deity. I would like to learn all about worship. I am very happy that I have across first thing i.e. lighting of the lamp. I have started learning from lighting of the lamp, I hope to learn more about worship and slokas from your various threads. Thank you mam.
    nalini

4. sastha123

sastha123 New IL'ite

Hi Chithra Mam,

I have been reading this forum for long time and have got lots of information from you....Thanks for all that.

I have a small worry in my mind. When I lit my lamp today the Ghee lamp went off in the middle of the prayer.It was because the ghee was not fully covered in the Thiri.But this has worried my heart very much,thinking it may be something not auspicious. I usually light 2 lamps,one with oil and one with ghee.
    Is this one I should worry??? Do you have any slokha to ask forgiveness to god for this? My question may sound silly but still your answer might be helpful to me.

Thanks.

5. Chitvish

Hi, this is the last or least of things, you should worry about.
    Devotion is more in the mind than in external things!
    Anyway I have given shlokas for asking for forgiveness etc. Please chant it to get over your worries!!

6. sastha123

sastha123 New IL'ite

Thanks Chithraji for your fast reply. You lessened the burden that I had. I shall chant your slokha for mental peace.

7. sreejag

sreejag Bronze IL'ite

chitvish mam,
    Thank you for a very elaborate and detailed post. Got to know many information form this post.

i along with my community friends have some soubts about lighting and we often discuss it but was not able to know the right guidance.please guide us foe the following questions:

1. should the deepams be washed everyday or only tuesdays and fridays?

2. for the restrooms, as you know we use tissue papers(sorry for tmi) here, so we don't know if we can keep the deepam in the evenings . or should v take a shower in the evenings as well to keep deepams?

3. one of my friend is trying for a baby for more than 2 yrs now, and she was asking me if she can light the deepam after a shower everyday or should she have a headbath?. i take a headbath but as she has sinus problem she is not able to do it. even i am confused wat to do?

please guide us.

8. kalyanivel

kalyanivel New IL'ite

Dear Chithra Amma,

I dont no who to ask , last friday by mistake or careless our Sri Vaibhavalakshmi photo with yantra which i got in book as a paper format, got fire i couldt save a piece.I dont no what to do still because of this i couldt light a lamp (scoldings from my husband not to light lamp here after). So please suggest some remedy or please tell me what to do.I asked my amma she even doesnt know what to do. Iam waiting for ur reply. Please help me

Thanks

9. Chitvish

No worries please. These are what we call accident and not incident. so, you can interpret that a big accident was wiped away by a "touch and go" of a small mana sanchalam. So just ignore it and go ahead in life. All the best:)

10. kalyanivel

kalyanivel New IL'ite

Thanks for your reply chitra amma.