Why do we go to temple ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 8, 2006.

1. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

chitra mami,
    Interesting post& enjoyed reading it.
    innum kooda sila perumal koil.. like parthasarthy temple in Triplicane, oil lamp etri thaan aaradhanai pannuva..camphor kammika matta.
    when we go to temple for dharsan, getting lot of peace of mind .

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. Meenasri

Meenasri Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitvish ,

Awsum Post,Thanks for sharing , I remember the ayyappa temple next to my house and during the Deepa Aaradhanai time , its too good your lost in his presence , And i miss the Hari hara sanam during the closing time of the temple :thumbsup

Regards,

Meena

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra,
    I am wondering, how I missed this wonderful and very informative post of yours. But better late than be never. You have very clearly described the Temple's association with the " Human body. Yes. what you have said is 100% true.
    When the devotee enters a temple, he is actually entering into a mandala and therefore participating in a power-field. The field enclosures and pavilions through which he must pass to reach the sanctum are symbolic. They represent the phases of progress in a man's journey towards divine beatitude. In accordance with this scheme of transition, architectural and sculptural details vary from phase to phase in the devotee's onward movement, gradually preparing him for the ultimate, awesome experience, which awaits him in the shrine.
    The garbhagriha is almost always surrounded by a circumambulatory path, around which the devotee walks in a clockwise direction. In Hindu and Buddhist thought, this represents an encircling of the universe itself.

No description of the Hindu temple can be complete without a mention of the tall, often pyramid-like structure shooting up the landscape and dominating the skyline.

This element of temple architecture is known as 'shikhara,' meaning peak (mountain). It marks the location of the shrine room and rises directly above it. This is an expression of the ancient ideal believing the gods to reside in the mountains. Indeed, in South India the temple spire is frequently carved with images of gods, the shikhara being conceived as mount Meru, the mythical mountain-axis of the universe, on the slopes of which the gods reside.Indeed a very thoughtful post.
    with love
    pad

4. keerthivasan

keerthivasan Senior IL'ite

Dear chithra madam
    i happened to read this link from another article
    you have explained in simple terms the significance of each ritual done in the temple
    atleast the basics
    thank you very much for this information
    i read this article only today so this is a small appreciation of your noble work
    regds
    Keerthi

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Thankyou, Keerthi.
    These informations are for ever valuable in our culture!! I love FBs on them.

6. keerthivasan

keerthivasan Senior IL'ite

this is the need of the hour
    am a fan of your recipes
    i do lot of cooking based on your recipes
    now your spiritual articles are very meaningful
    regds
    keerthi

7. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Lovely post! Thank you :)

8. amutharun

amutharun New IL'ite

wow chitra, superb. i was upset after hearing that our bhagwat geeta is banned in france. now i came to life after reading ur post. bhagwat geeta is the first holy book. when i asked my guru why dont most hindus read bhagwat geeta, he simply replied that only the soiled clothes are washed again and again. it is pure and truth.

9. aarthisaranya

aarthisaranya New IL'ite

Dear Chitra Mam,

Excellent write-up...

Good to know the exact reason behind things done in temple.....instead of following it blindly....

Take Care & Have a nice day :)

Thanks,
    Aarthi Saranya