Why do we go to temple ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sonia, your mail is my day's vitamin pills !

You have written very nicely, Sonia. Sathya Sai Baba always says that Nara seva is Narayan seva. But he never said " stop Narayan seva" !
    I also feel, that going to temple increases one's self-discipline. We find time for everything except going to temples ! If we regularly start going we realise how much of positive vibrations we get from a temple visit. Atleast for that time, we don't allow negative thoughts in our minds, which is a good thing.The temples are so full of positive energy, that we tend to relax unknowingly, which is a bonus after a temple visit. We are touched to see the intensity with which people pray and it becomes infectious as well.
    Thankyou Sonia.
    We will meet " Break ke baad!".Please stay tuned, my dear friend.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Felt like i visited a temple!

Dear Chitra,

I really missed getting to read this , since an nexpected guest turnedup andwas caught with entertaining, though i had logged on from morning, but just now managed to catch up with everything...actually refused to make a cup of coffee for the better half also, ....:oops: ...and he made it for me when i mentioned that i had to catch up with all the posts....see how much IL is becoming a part of mylife! And he was making fun when i mentioned the word ILites! :evil:
    Anyway now to this psot....that was explained in such a lovely and simple way, that i really miss going to temples. Coming frm mylapore surrounded by temples, you make me nostalgic...:cry: ...that was one thing i tried to find here when i first came and am i happy that the temple here is as good and peaceful as uhave mentioned and maintaining he sanctity of our tradition...though i must say it is run by Srilankan Hindus who give so much importance to this temple culture....
    Will definetely fwd this article to Rosh , i am sure she will be able to appreciate temple visits more now!

3. SuBa

SuBa Senior IL'ite

Enlightening,as always

Dear Mrs.Chithra
    I particulary liked knowing the significance of camphor-flame,why we put money in the plate and ofcourse prasadam.Its really good to understand the meaning of some things which we have been following for so many years.My husband and i used to go to temple only on occassions.As you said there never seemed to be a good time.We are guilty of that.But for the past year or so we try to make it every sunday and the difference we feel once we come out of the temple is something i cannot explain.It makes everything worth it.In this mechanical world of living where people tend to overlook the important things thats in our culture your write-up reinforces everything back.
    I have one question for you.Why do we sit in the the temple for a few minutes after worshipping ?
    I always used to think its time used for meditating on GOD.

Love
    Suba

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  4. Chitvish

Sudha, see that you don't get a ban on I L !

If VJ ends up making coffee for you every time you log on to I L - Hope he won't blame the Maduraite(s) !. Make sure about that !! But let me tell you, we Maduraites will pitch in, whenever the spouse needs a helping hand, rest assured, Sudha.
    I think the Srilankan culture is very similar to ours & they will show very good interest in temple maintenance.
    Yes, please send this to Rosh. It is good if she understands the significance of all these at a young age.Let her know the answers for as many " Why do we... " as possible.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

5. Chitvish

Suba, this is from what I have heard.....

After worshipping, the " Shiva ganangal" are supposed to walk with us. Since they should not leave the temple & come with us, we sit inside the temple .When they leave us, we go away from the temple. This is what I have heard.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. SuBa

SuBa Senior IL'ite

Thats good to know!

Dear Mrs.C,
    I will keep that in mind.Thanks for clarifying.Am not sure whether this is the right place to ask but do you know why they say we are s'posed to go to temple in empty stomach if we are going in the morning?

Love
    Suba

7. Chitvish

I am just guessing....

Dear Suba,
    Normally we finish the puja & then only have our meal, to the extent possible. I think it is just like that. Besides on a full stomach, going round the temple is not easy also.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

8. SuBa

SuBa Senior IL'ite

A good guess,Mrs.Chithra

What you said makes sense.

Thanks
    Suba

9. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Just to add

Someone once told me that you need to sit for few minutes before coming out of Sivan temple and you must not bring anything out of the temple as "Sivan sotthu kula nasham". But you need not sit in a Vishnu temple.
    My personal opinion is that its good to sit for few minutes (1) After walking around the temple (2) To sit and eat the prasadam (3) Some more time to think about God/Good before going into the 'worldly' world !

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

ur guidance in this field is very immense...

dear chitra,
    there is many a void in our lives and ur contribution whether food or god is great ....i am indebted to see ur vision of conveyance in these matters...regards sunkan