Why do we do Namaste ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Namaste namaste!

Dear Chitra,

I missed seeing this article on Namaste till now, don't know how I missed it!
    Besides reading about the significance of this simple act of Namaskaram, I was also very impressed at your writing style. A great write up indeed. My thanks and admirations to you.

L, Kamla

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Namaste, Sujata !

Just like you missed my post, I missed your F b, can't lie to you !
    There was a reply in the kolam thread & so I guessed you missed namaste !
    Thanks for your "honey-sweet" words !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. Surya

Surya Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

You have very well explained the significance and the meaning of saying namaskar with our palms joined together. now days we say hi or hello. when guests visit our home, when they enter our house my parents greet them with vanakkam....but i feel somehow shy to say vanakkam with the palms joined together, so simply say vanakkam, vanga.....without the gesture. but now i know the meaning and surely will greet other with palms joined together.

regards,
    kodi.

4. Chitvish

Namaste, Koti !

I was wondering why you have'nt sent a F B since you are regular. When I saw your post in namma ooru thread, I knew your post was on its way.
    Namste with palms is a beautiful gesture ! Do it gracefully !
    Thanks for the F B.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

5. priyarama

priyarama New IL'ite

Wow! this is very well written. I never knew there was a deeper meaning to the word namaste except for the fact that it was used to greet people. Thank you for sharing the information.

6. Chitvish

Hello priyarama,
    Thankyou for the feedback.
    In our culture, every thing is significant, with a deeper meaning. Please go through all the culture articles. You will feel justifiably proud of our heritage !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

DEAR CHITRA MADAM,

I am really spellbound at the explanation for Namaste.
    I am ashamed a little to have done this act so many times before GOD and others without knowing why I do it. I just did it because that was what was asked of me when I was young and I kept following it blindly even as an adult. I will now do Namaste, knowing what I am really doing and why I am doing it.
    Namaste to You Chitra Madam, Thankyou soooooooooo much.

with love, regards and Respect
    Jothi.

8. Chitvish

My dear Jothi,
    You are unbelievable !
    Not only are you reading the culture posts, but are taking the trouble to send feed backs promptly ! The latter makes me very happy, since I need them to knopw your pulse.
    I want you all to know that the F B s make me feel that all the efforts I take to explain the topic, are worth it ! You are free to ask me any doubts as well.
    I cannot thank you enough, Jothi.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Dear chitvish,
    I am happy that still the values of life are followed always by good people.In this fast going pace of life ,some fail to know the greatness of such things."namaste ",the word has a divine meaning as can be understood from your words which follows as

""When we do this in the temple or in the prayer room, we close our eyes, as if to look within. We develop communion with God.
    So namaste is not a superficial gesture, but almost a communication of love and respect to the other person. ""

We feel a sense of relief as putting down our burdens under the feet of god.It gives us dignity when we do this while meeting a person or a friend.It strengthens the respect that the other person have with us .Is it not?

Very nice & meaningful thread.
    I always invite you for posting many more such threads in the future.

Good Chitvish:2thumbsup:

10. Chitvish

Dear B C,
    Thankyou for the nice feed back.
    Please read the significance of namaskaram because that is more common in south !
    Love,
    Chithra.