Why do we do Namaste ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Namaste, Meenu !

In this thread, it is only namaste for me !
    Now, tell me, Meenu, does my posting remind you that today is thursday
    or
    on thursdays, you wait for my post ?
    I hope the latter is true ! Suppose, I am out of station & miss to post, otherwise you will skip a thursday !
    I feel a rainy day is more pleasant than gloomy !
    Even when I talk to many people on the phone, I start with "namaskaram". Then "soukkiyama " etc.
    Thankyou for the F B.
    Love & regards,
    Chith.

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    it was very nice knowing why we say Namaste and join our palms to another person. Keralites are very casual. I have been told by my in laws to say Vango, namaskaram to anyone visiting us first thing. At first I felt very uneasy, but now it had become a habit. I think showing our respect and happiness when we greet a person is good.
    You might know, Keralites just say,'aha, see who has come" when a friend or guest go to their homes. But when I go to my relatives' place and someone had gone out at that time, as soon as they come home they will greet with 'vango'. Now I follow this tradition, and fel good about it. And thanks for explaining the reason and spirit behind that.

3. Hamsadhwani

Hamsadhwani Senior IL'ite

namaste

Mrs.c,
    It was a wonderful posting as usual regarding Namaste.
    I look forward to your postings on thursdays. This Diwali, i did light the yama deepam. Thanks for your time and effort and for sharing this info with all of us.

Radha

4. Chitvish

Namaste, Varloo !

I love to say "vango, namaskaram" whenever anybody comes. I feel so happy to receive people saying that.
    I avoid saying Hi to the extent possible. Once Swami Dayananda said, HI HI , we used to say traditionally to cattle & now that is what we say to human beings ! It somehow struck me as right ! If at all, I say Hello.
    When I go for walks in the evening, I wish all my familiar faces with "namaskaram" & feel happy saying that.
    Thanks for your prompt reply, Varloo.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

5. Chitvish

Namaste, Radha V !

It is equally my pleasure to share with everyone of you, all that I have learnt over the years. I am more than happy that you are following all that I write in this forum.
    God bless everyone of you, Radha !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Namaste Mrs CV,

Dear Mrs CV,
    I like this weeks posting very much.Now I have learnt what the gesture means. I like how you summarised it in the very end.It is more enjoyable when you know what you are doing and also the purpose behind it.
    Anjali is one of my favourite names. The meaning is even more beautiful.

Love,

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Namaskaram

Namaskaram Ms C,

A very nice explanation to this simple gesture that is going out of vogue now. I think next post should be the correct way of doing the namaste, in order to bring out the beautiful meaning of this gesture. That is, not just putting your palms to gether, but the exact position where the palms should be held at, the posture of your head etc..... I learnt it a long time ago and hope youcan post that for all of us here.

Love
    vandhana

8. Chitvish

Namaste, Radha M !

Thankyou for the enjoyable F B .
    Some elders object to the name Anjali since it also means homage ! My mother's friend changed her DIL's name from Anjali to Meenakshi ! Coming from Madurai, perhaps, she wanted to give that name !!
    My sis's GD in W D C is Anjali Shankar !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. Chitvish

Namaste, Vandhana !

Now, it is my turn to request you to post here what you have learnt, for our benefit.
    As far as I know, the hands are folded in front of the chest ( because the heart is said to be the seat of emotions ) & head is lightly bowed in reverence or acknowledgement.
    Please share with us what you have learnt, Vandhana.
    Thanks for the F B .
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Again I have learnt something today,

Dear Mrs CV,
    You have educated me again. Good to know someone lives in WDC and also with my favourite name. Will get more details when I meet you since I live in WDC too.
    Love,