Why do we do Namaskaram to God and elders ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra aunty,

A well written, neat and clear explanation of the Namaskarams. Even though I had wondered as to why men do it diffferent from women, I have never thought of asking it loud..but my children always ask me. Since they are boys, they always question as to why I do it in a different way.

Now, I can answer their questions confidently or even give more information. At this age, they are so curious and like sponges, they do not implicitly accept our beliefs and traditions until it comes with a logical explanation.

But, immediately, it makes me wonder that I never questioned my parents when I was young..but accepted all the facts.

Infact, my younger son often asks me.."Amma, why should we go to temple when we already have Gods/Godesses and pray at home everyday ?" Hope you can give me a good reason for this aunty.

Regards
    Krithika

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Krithika,
    You are all giving life to my two year old threads!;-)
    Thanks.
    Please go to
    Why do we go to temple ?
    You will get an answer to your queries!
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. sharadha

sharadha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Chitra Mam,

Awesome thread.:bowdown. We normally do things for the sake of doing it. This is one such example. When elders say "Namaskaram pannu", then we do it not knowing the purpose of doing it. Only when we get to know the actual purpose we feel good about it and can explain when the children question us.

One of my friend was telling her son to do namaskaram to his aunt. The boy hesitated to do. My friend said don't think that u are doing namaskaram to aunty but think that you are doing it for booma devi. Her reply was quite surprising...

Thanks again mam.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  4. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

Hi ILites,

I thought let me thow more light on my question to provide clarity on the posture in which Hanuman does namaskaram to Rama and would like to hear in detail about that posture. Please fis the photo of the posture in the link below Hanuman - $0.00 : Ablaze Metal Art & Design, wall art, sculptures, native art, Courtenay, Vancouver Island, BC, Online Shopping

Thanks in advance

5. Chitvish

Dear Sharadha,
    I think what your friend said, is her own explanation.
    We bow to the divinity in the other oerson is the right answer, age no bar.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. sharadha

sharadha Bronze IL'ite

Yes mam..Very true..But that moment she had to somehow convince her son to prostrate before his aunt or otherwise his aunt would mistake her. This was the explanation given to me at a later point of time.

7. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

Dear Mam
    thanks for ur detailed explanation abt namaskarams,even like many others i was unable to undearstand the differences n their reason.now iam much clear.
    following ur reply i happen to read the other post of urs "y do v go 2 temple?"
    frm my child hood i hav been in practce of going 2 temples on certain days n some of my frnds wuld make fun of it.but now how i can answer tthem in a clear way.

thanks n regards
    raji

8. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra madam,

Really no words to express the thanks for giving such a lovely information. Thanks for your work and for giving so good informations.

Regards,

Rajeswari

9. Chitvish

Dear Raji,
    Every action in our cultire is significant. If we understand and do it, we enjoy it better!
    Thanks.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. Chitvish

Dear Rajeswari,
    You are welcome. Please go through all the culture threads. You will enjoy learning about the beauty of our tradition.
    Love,
    Chithra.