Why do Hindus wear religious marks ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 24, 2006.

1. gayathrikartik

gayathrikartik Senior IL'ite

Hello Mrs. C

I accept your view. Recently I went to london and saw many muslim ladies wearing butka and gents wearing their dress(I don't know the name). Living in an alien country didn't restrict them from following their culture.

They don't hide their identity. Infact they are proud of that. Then. Why don't we?

Sorry If I wrote anything wrong.
    GK

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear GK,
    All that we need is self-confidence that we do it because we like to do it. We are not offending anybody!!
    The question of your words
    Sorry If I wrote anything wrong.
    does not arise at all, G!
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. nags

nags Silver IL'ite

Namaskara Chitra avare,
    I had heard about this, in vedic period men and women used to put a paste called "saadh" on forehead. this used to be black in colour. done by frying rice till it darkens and powder it and mix it with jaggery paste. this was used even by my grand parents and one of my anunt used to prepare it. do you have more info on this. please let me know.

4. Chitvish

Dear Nags, I have also heard about & used it as well, prepared by a relative. But I never bothered in those days to learn to make it, but now, there is none around to teach me! :-(
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. nags

nags Silver IL'ite

Hello chitra avare,
    My parents said that rice is fried black and mixed with jaggery paste, as said earlier and stored in the hard shell part of coconut and is diluted and used.

6. cinesoy

cinesoy New IL'ite

Chitra, thanks very many to you for the beautiful article on why do Hindus wear religious marks. Henceforth I can explain to my non-hindu friends about our tilaks clearly. Also I can make my children to understand the importance of vibhudi and tilak.

7. Chitvish

You are welcome, cinesoy. This information is first for our own knowledge & then to explain to others!
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  8. Victoryman

Victoryman Senior IL'ite

Re: significance of keeping bindi or pottu

I read through Chitra Madams topic.I should say I enjoyed it a lot,Specially about the sri vaishanava culture.I was astonished to know the effort taken by her to post the information to us.Hats off Madam and Please do keep posting cultural information like this to us.

9. Chitvish

Thanks, Victory. We follow many rituals, calling them traditions, without ever bothering to know the significance. Over time, disbelief creeps in. I just want everybody to realise that there is significance behind every thing in Hindu culture.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Chitramma,
    Nice info............., I have seen here that many are asking why widows shud not keep bindi n hoo.........I read somewhere back that the Kumkuma influences our sex organs n hoo with its fragrance makes man take interest in the wearer so it was forbidden for widows...........