Why did u R2I?

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by lovinglibra, Sep 4, 2012.

1. lovinglibra

lovinglibra Senior IL'ite

I see that a lot of IT techie's are planning to return to india or are moving back home.I'm in a health care industry and I'm just curious to know what are the reasons for your move back to India ?Is the work situation due to recession a main reason ??

2. newsoul

newsoul Bronze IL'ite

one of the reasons for us was to take care of parents in their old age..

2 people like this.
  3. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

We are also returning india in Jan 2013 (tickets are booked)..but not because of recession..

1. to take care of parents.. ( as of now they are not old..so have atleast 5-6 years)
    2. want to go back before my dd starts school..i have heard lot of issues when parents went back and their kid didn't adjusted or took lot of time

3. Main reaon..I miss my family.

4. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

I'm glad this topic was started.

My Husband also wishes to move back permanently. However, not me. We don't have kids yet. but, we might still R2I since I want to do it for my Husband.

I imagine that the reasons for many of us:
    -Move closer to other family members
    -School education here in US is a miss or a hit but in India we can admit kids in a private school and make sure of a decent education
    -I here a lot of Americans tell me that they themselves would love to move to India or China because of the oppurtunity for progression. Things are kind of stangnant here in US. You are assured of a wonderful lifestyle but career stagnation is a real problem for immigrants and citizens alike.

1 person likes this.
  5. somia

somia New IL'ite

We are moving mainly to be closer to family.. be with parents when they need us..
    and also due to schooling of my DD...

6. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

I guess, it make sense to R2I now-a-days, as people want to be closer to family and also pay is not bad in India too.

When a family with only one bread-winner live in US, the amount that you end up saving is comparatively not very high if you stay in India if both earns.
    Say, pay here is 5000$ take home, you end up saving like 2000$ per month after a normal middle class life style, while missing your friends & families in India.
    Back in India, if both earns, your take-home could be around 1 lakh, and after expenses, savings could be around 50-60K based on your lifestyle, while enjoying the company of friends and family around.

So, when it boils down to just 40-50K per month money & missing family/friends, many choose to return to India.

1 person likes this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

hi priya, did you return yo India?
    how do you feel life is now compared to living in the USA?

8. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hi Kalpana,

Yes I went back to india in Jan 2013 with intention not to come back. Unfortunately we were sent back to USA (we both work for same employer so manager knows if they will force one of us, both will come :( ) due to valid visa. However I stayed there for 6 months (3 month without DH as he had to come back early) and it was wonderful stay. Initially we had couple of problem related to settlement as expected but once we were settled my DD loved there. She made lot of friends in society and school (full time daycare), learnt hindi very fast. She still remember her society friends (when I show her their pic in FB, she recognize very well) and want to go there.

Other good part was, family . However my family was not very closed but in the duration of 6 month we visited them once and they visited us two times and we all loved that . My DD miss her cousins and wants to go there asap.

Regarding difference in lifestyle - for me it was same, I would say better in India. I had cook, maid nothing to be worried about house hold work. DDs daycare was flexible (here if you can't make on time , need to pay fine), just need to make a call if late. Neighbors were good except some so called NRIs. There were few issues what other phases traffic, road etc but for me it was nothing as I still face traffic issue in USA. Family interference , same as USA ..My family doesn't interfere in our day to day life whether we are in India or USA. We have defined a limit there and no one crossed ever. So over all good for me.

We are again planning to go back on March or Apr 2015. But this time for final..have notified managers as well that there is n chance to return back.

3 people like this.