1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Whose mistake??

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by prana, Feb 10, 2011.

1. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

I was having my cuppa by standing in the balcony and looking at the garden nearby. We have a small garden in our house. The garden consists of banian tree,coconut tree,mango tree, rose plants, chrysanthemum plants and some other plants too. It is one of the happiest moments to have a look at these greens by having a cup in your hand. I really loved it. But this is not a topic of this post. So I come to the point now. My neighbor’s son was also standing there. At that time, milk man came. They used to buy milk from him. So on seeing him, the boy poked his head into his house, and told to his mom,” amma palkaran vandhutan”(milkman has come, but he told it disrespectfully).The milkman was about 50 years old. Thank God, he didn’t hear his words; just think about it, what he would felt, if he heard the boy’s words. I was really annoyed by his words. But his mom didn’t show any sign that his boy spoke some illiterate words. She was very casual and told,”yes I come” and went to buy milk. Where we are lacking actually????

On the other day, I went to one of my distant relative’s house. There, her 8 years old was talking with his uncle. The uncle was a college student. He pretended to ask questions playfully. Look at their conversation.

U: Whats your teachers name da???
    B: Aarthi uncle.
    U:Do u like ur teacher???
    B: Yes uncle, I like her so much??
    U: Is she married???
    B: No
    U: Then no problem, I would correct her..
    B: No uncle ,it(teacher) wont suit you. leave her(vitudu mama,adhellam unaku saripadadhu)

I was :rant. God, where these kids get all these ideas..

This boy, who is studying in his eleventh std came to me to ask some doubts in Mathematics. He is studying in the govt school .Me, being me, as usual asked some questions about his schools, teachers, friends. When he told about his teachers, he told that one of his school teacher often call the students by their nick names. That too, the nick name would be given by the teacher himself. If anybody wear specs, he would call him as ‘sodabutti’ or ‘kannadi’(means specs),if anybody looks chubby, he call them as ‘Gundu’ etc ….I was really shocked by hearing it.. So as the teacher, so the students. The students also call them by the nicknames in their teacher’s way. Being in a responsible job, see how he acts. It made me really worry.

So, whose mistake is this? Is this the mistake of the single soul. Nope. Every one of us, here making mistakes. It’s the responsibility of everyone, I,You,She ,He every one has to answer it. We should definitely change our way, to raise our children, be it in school or in home. First of all, we have to change ourselves. If we speak anything ill about others in home/school, then our children also would follow the same. We have to be very careful about our words and actions.
    I called my neighbor boy and showed his mistake and told how the way he has to call the elders. He told “hereafter I wont do it, sorry aunty(yeah this promotion, I got ,after my girl’s arrival)”.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Dear Prana,

what you have mentioned is absolutely right and i am surely agreeing
    with you 100 percent. Now a days the way small girls and boys that too the teen age girls and boys donot know the basic manners

One thing here i would like to reiterate that we should talk to our
    children a lot not only studies but general behaviour, how to
    give respect , how to reply to their elders, teachers and to their
    own classmates etc., Days have changed and the youngsters are
    taking everything very lightly.

We should keep on educating them for the GENERAL BEHAVIOUR

To be frank i used to talk to my daughter a lot i have advised her a lot.
    One thing i used to insist her whether she likes or dislike her teacher
    in the school. MADHA,PITHA GURU DEIVAM. SCHOOL IS A TEMPLE
    WHERE YOU CAN REGAIN REFRAIN AND RELISH YOUR KNOWLEDGE
    NOT ONLY THROUGH STUDIES BUT ALSO THE OBEDIENCE, ART OF
    SPEAKING AND BEHAVIOUR.:)

3. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

True Prana...We daily see such incidents, but not able to pin point at one single person. Everyone around are the same way. In bus when we see aged people around, everyone tend to call "ye perusu..(addressing the old age people so)...like u said "paalkaaran vandhutan"...One thing is we have to change and also we have to cultivate the same in the young souls who are getting to know what world is...

good one prana!!

4. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Dear Prana,

Very true dear. At how many places we see people saying Velaikaari vandhutaala?", "Driver poitaana", even if they were elder to us. Children absorb everything we do and say. We are their first teachers. They learn from us, isn't it.

Once I was telling my friend like "Karunanidhi ena dhaan solraan". He immediately corrected me saying, Karunanidhi should be given respect, for his age. Only then did I realize, we never have this habit of respecting media people, no matter how old they are, just because they are in media. Hmm, one thing they pay for their popularity.

Sorry for going off topic. I just wanted to say how we easily forget such things. One of my cousins, he has a kid of 3 years. He addresses his kid like "Ena kathukuteenga inniku?". So automatically, the kid calls everyone with respect.

That is what we need now, parents should teach. Right? :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

prana,

very thought provoking topic.

ice,

very true. some people have the habit of addressing even their children respectfully, as "aap" or "neenga". when that is the culture of the community, it really sounds so good.

i am often puzzled about the father being addressed as "neenga' and mother as "nee".

or the husband being addressed as "neenga", the wife as "nee" and the father as "nee" (i heard it here in the south for the first time in tamil and was taken aback). but these same people consider it as disrespectful if you address the husband as "nee".

values have to be inculcated in the young only through direct example.

prana, good you corrected the young boy and he too listened. it may not have been possible with an older child.

6. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Prana,

While the first and third incidents made me feel sorry, the second one made me :biglaugh.kids!!!

Its good that you corrected him and in turn he respected you. Atleast the situation is not very bad.

But Prana you are eligible to be called as 'aunty' ,the day you get married:rotfl(own experience)No worries dearie.

My hugs to you and your lil angel:cheers

7. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Yes sreema, you are correct..but nowadays parents miss their personal times with their children..this fast fast world doesnt allow them to sit and talk with them...

8. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Malar,U are correct...should bring the change in ourselves before we correct them....

9. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Thanks ice, for stepping in....

yes I too feel worried whenever somebody says "velakkari"....
    yes this is one of the tactics to make the kid speak respectfully..

so learn all these things, it would be helpful to u oneday:thumbsup

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  10. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Satchi, for dropped by...
    yes, I might havent got sleep, if I havent told him:bonk