Who is my relative? South African Indian

Discussion in 'Indians in Africa' started by Neesha, Oct 10, 2007.

1. aquis

aquis New IL'ite

:thumbsuphi neesha, i am looking for my father's sister's family in South Africa-Natal.I came across ur interesting postings while begining my search.my father and his parents had left behind a married sis when they migrated to Malaysia.My father and his parents have since passed away but i have this great desire to know about my aunt and her family.We are Chettys.I hear there r lots of Chettys living in this part.Im not sure how to go about it-could u suggest something?:bowdown:coffee

2. Neesha

Neesha Senior IL'ite

Hello Aquis

Over here we always hear about relatives that went back and eventually contact was lost. So it's nice to hear from one across the seas! There are lots of people with the surname Chetty and even some Chettiars here. I am from Kwazulu-Natal and perhaps if you have some details like her full name and where she stayed/ married I can try to locate her or her family. I see I cannot send you a private message perhaps because you are still new cos I could have given you my email so that we can communicate further.
    Since she was married, was her surname still Chetty? Where were your grandparents and dad originally from? The Indian Consulate and even a private agency here in PMBurg has a programe to assist indians here to trace their origins in India but I'm not sure of the other way around.
    There are also 2 South African papers that you can write to 'POST' and 'Sunday Times Extra'.
    Give me some details and I will see what I can do. Hope we can be successful.

Regards Neesha

3. Saswati127

Saswati127 Senior IL'ite

Hi Neesha,

Have mailed you in your email id. I read this thread, it was excellent. Got to know so many interesting things. Your daughter mayuri is really very cute. How old is she now?

Regards

Saswati

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi Neesha,

I came across this thread as I was browsing about Africa. I must say it is an amazing sociological read! It was very descriptive and enjoyable.

As a constant relocator (my dad used to move a lot thanks to his work and now I continue the tradition) it is fascinating to see how we retain and adapt as our lives change. I spent about four years in Tanzania near Dar-es-Salaam as a child and hope to go back (not with tour groups) for a long visit with my husband. Your pictures are lovely-maybe I should extend my planning to include other places.
    Rama

5. rosiedixon

rosiedixon New IL'ite

Hi there Neesha

I only just found this site. You've probably long left the site.

Anyone out there who knows the best way to research a family tree - for Indian south Africans. My forefathers arrived in the 1860's sometime, but I have not idea where about in India. I believe they were of Tamil origin, and we are quite dark in colour, could this mean we might have come from the South. We have no relatives or links in India.

Thanks Rosanna

6. preddy

preddy New IL'ite

hi Neesha
    if there is anyone who have been able to contact their familys in india from south africa...pls let me know...thank you so much

7. cappygirl11

cappygirl11 New IL'ite

Hi there

I'm 5th generation indian in south africa.

My family is of punjabi original but eventually started following a mixed punjabi hindi culture in south africa.

They came to sa as business people. My great great grandmother eventually got tired of south africa and went back home.

8. Angel121

Angel121 Bronze IL'ite

Hey all

I'm joining this party rather late. I'm also from SA.