1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

White Joy

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jskls, Jul 20, 2017.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I was expecting few guests. My house was little but still could accomodate all I thought. I had prepared all the food. Whenever I have guests coming food part worries me. It gives me nightmare and I make sure I have enough for all. Somehow I end up preparing double the quantity.

The guests came. They didn't want to eat right away and so I gave them fresh filter coffee... Hmm the aroma I remembered it was so good and refreshing. Surprisingly my guests were dressed in white. I thought I should call my grandma, my dad and my chittappa (uncle) from downstairs.

It was early evening and sea breeze had set in. Our house was close to the beach and there was a big neem tree opposite to our house. The breeze carried gentle smell of the Neem tree and I could feel the mild breeze on my face,. My guests did mention that though it was scorching hot outside they couldn't feel the heat sitting in the balcony while enjoying the mild breeze.

We were waiting for my dad, Grandma and Uncle still. Since my guests were getting bored they wanted to take a short walk. I was thinking of asking them to take a walk near market and temples, where there will be fresh flowers in the evening. The market will be busy with people. There will be lots of fresh veggies and fruits and the whole place would smell wonderful with white flowers. They could even visit famous temples around. Out of nowhere they had a white dog ready for walk and they were holding the leash in their hands. The dog wanted to play with me and was jumping and trying to come near me. Dog's face was so cute and lovely. It had lots of hair. I did feel like cuddling it. All in all it was a happy atmosphere. They left for a walk while I double checked the cooked white rice. So pure and white it was.

All of a sudden I heard some strange timer sound. I was shocked a bit. Did I set the timer for any cooking and did I forget it? I wondered where my guests were? did they leave without eating? Did they bring the dog back in? What about the ones I was waiting for? My dad, my grandma and my uncle were nowhere to be seen. The noise was non-stop and slowly I realized that it was my morning alarm. I was confused and got up and sat. Which is dream and which is real one? It took me a few minutes to realize that it was a beautiful (white) dream. But I remember the fresh smell of the coffee, the gentle breeze from the neem tree the white dressed guests holding a white dog. It all happened in my childhood house.

White is purity; very pleasant to look at; the cooked rice, the white dressed guests, white dog and the serene happy atmosphere were so real. I hope to retain the happy feeling my dream left behind for some more time. Wish I can go back to those childhood days.

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

White is the colour of funeral attire in India. In western funerals, we wear black. Why is the difference?

3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

No idea. Am sure someone knowledgeable here would answer your question.

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Lakshmi,

I did read with curiosity till the end and what a vivid dream it seems to be! This question right is here is you talking the philosophy. If the real world is maya, what would be the dream world?

After reading your snippet, I felt it is more about the innocence and if I may use the purity, in the sense of joy you felt growing up seems to be what was playing in the dream - no matter who came and went! The "YOU" was present to savour it all!

Enjoyed being part of your dream world in the real world!

jskls likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshmi,

I am not an expert in analyzing dreams and their significance. But this one appears to be a signal for the mind achieving clarity and perfection as you appeared to have seen guests wearing white and a white dog besides being very well prepared to receive the guests. Childhood dreams are always pleasant for most people barring a few and you fall under the majority. Expecting your dad, grandma and uncle in your dream is a perfect indication of how much you soaked in love emanating from them.

The physical world dreams are dreams within a dream as the real life itself, in my view, is illusion. In waking state, we are limited by time and space whereas in dreaming state, we are not limited by them. This physical world is nothing but a projection of how our mind perceives it.

To answer Nonya's question, to the best of my knowledge and belief, wearing white or black for mourning varies based on how the belief system of each religion treats death. Some believe death is the end of life while others believe it is the end of one cycle of many births and deaths. Some view life as an opportunity to pursue a goal to purify ourselves and achieve permanent bliss while others believe it is an opportunity to pursue the world and derive happiness.

Viswa

jskls likes this.
  6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

This was supposed to be a pleasant dream and where did I mention as a funeral home ? As far as our custom goes there is no tradition to wear white for funeral. My first line mentions that I was expecting guests and who expects guests and to serve them in funeral. I guess you misunderstood this.

Amica, GoogleGlass and periamma like this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha, Thank you for taking time to read this and thanks for the lovely feedback too. Your feedback made me look at it in a different perspective. Yes when growing up I loved the innocence and simplicity of that pure life. It was a small house we lived but had beautiful memories. Thanks for assuring me with your lovely words

Srama likes this.
  8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

A joy to cherish all in white.

Just missed brushing your milky white teeth ls :)

jskls likes this.
  9. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

White is the symbol of purity. As per Google wearing black at funerals by Christians as a tradition dates back to days of Roman Empire. Hindus and Buddhists wear white.
    Your dreams, as can see, is part anxiety for perfection, part desire to please the guests and parents. It is a childhood dream and a pleasant one.

jskls likes this.
  10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Viswamitra sir
    Thanks for your wonderful feedback. Good to know that white signifies good omen. I just wanted to share how real it felt.
    looks like Inception movie. Thanks for sharing your views and giving a positive outlook

Viswamitra likes this.