Which Spiritual Book Helped You Understand Life Or Gave You Peace

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Mario123, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Mario123

Mario123 Gold IL'ite

My spiritual journey started when I read Autobiography of a yogi by Yogananda. I was mesmerised, in awe of this new world opened before me.

Before this , having grown up in middle class brahmin family, i was accustomed to daily rituals, prayers and poojas. But I was doing it seeing my parents do the same. Never had questions like why, or is there any god etc.

However, after I started reading spiritual books, I feel my prayers are having new meaning, giving me peace and I am finding meaning of life and I can handle situations in better or mature way.

Currently I am reading Gospels of Ramakrishna by Mr. M, book by Ramakrishna mission.

So, if you like any spiritual book or philosophy, pls share so that we all can help each other. Also information and suggestions about spiritual books in other religions are also welcome.

Alyssum and dc24 like this.

2. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Hello...
    My spiritual journey too started with An Autobiography of a Yogi. I too belong to a Brahmin family but apart from puja rituals there was something I always craved for.
    It's Bhagvad Gita and Bhagwat Purana that has given me a very meaningful God-centered life.
    Apart from these holy texts...I have firm faith in Hari-naam japa and I make it a point that I do naam japa everyday.

Thanks Very nice Thread...

Mario123 and Alyssum like this.
  3. Reila

Reila New IL'ite

The Bhagavad Gita made me see life in a completly diffrent way and thaught me many thing

dc24 and Mario123 like this.
  4. Mario123

Mario123 Gold IL'ite

Yes. I also do naam japa. Helps a lot.
    Bhagawad gita is really a great book
    Will read bhagawat purana for sure in future

dc24 and EnlightenedSoul like this.
  5. Mario123

Mario123 Gold IL'ite

Yes. Understanding it took me 3-4 readings
    I remembered in this connection that the serial Mahabharata which starred on star plus last year or so, had narration of Gita in very simple form. N quite delightful it was to see bhagwan shrikrishna too

6. Mario123

Mario123 Gold IL'ite

'A search in secret India' by Paul Brunton is a nice read. It narrates author's spiritual journey through India ending in finding Guru Shri Raman Maharshi. Quite interesting.

7. Mario123

Mario123 Gold IL'ite

I went to my neighbours home ysterday and they were reading Bhagawat Purana. So I was lucky to hear few pages with meaning from Bhagwat Purana.. what a great coincidence. Thank you ☺

8. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Ohh Great...
    If you find time then you must read the book.....The Journey Home: An Autobiography of Radhanath Swami.
    He's an American by birth..born in Chicago. The book explains in details his Himalayan sojourn...Ganga...saints..and finally how he met his Spiritual Master.
    It's a very wonderfully written book.