1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Which kind of oats to use for everyday rice substitute?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by pman16, Mar 4, 2015.

1. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Instant oats becomes very soft and porridge like consistency. If anyone uses oats everyday as rice substitute, please let me know the variety, time it takes to cook and the difference in weight you noticed.

2. luv

luv Silver IL'ite

I take oats as substitute to rice..but when cooking it becomes like gravy..
    One of my friends steams the oats till they become soft but not like porridge..you can also try steaming if you that time and patience..

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Since you are in the us, check out steel cut oats than the instant oats. but yes the instant oats become soft, but if you are a little careful you can cook it to your choice.
    I do make lemon, puliyodharai and also pulao with oats. the pulao recipe in the blog.
    A Friend, her food craving and my dilemma.. - Blogs - IndusLadies

i also cook the oats in rasam, soups+vegetables directly. that way i do not mind the creaminess. you can make curd oats with all the tadkas that you give for regular curd rice.

it is again a case of your palette. and i do not have oats everyday. i mix, match lots of millets in place of rice..and i am sure you have seen this thread where we share ideas.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...hape/241203-indian-lunch-ideas-sans-rice.html

2 people like this.
  4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame