1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which Formula is best

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Padminiramesh, Mar 23, 2010.

1. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

2. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Poonam
    I just bought two BPA free bottles yesterday and with 2 drops teat (the one that comes with the bottle). Not sure whether the Pigeon teat fits Avent.

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

u mean pigeon bpa free? i havent seen one, its only polypropalene no? pigeon only wide neck teat will fit avent.

4. Padminiramesh

Poonam,
    No, I meant the Pigeon wide teat with Avent BPA bottle...and is this peristaltic teat is wide neck that fits avent?

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

yes padmini, u get wide neck peristaltic teat too.... its rare as compared to the regular ones but u still get. my baby shop guy didnt have so he has ordered them for me from their shop in chennai... have u heard of best baby? they have them :)
    btwi wanted wide neck teats for pigeon mag mag sippy cup. she will use it for drinking water... a month or 2 later will make her use spout. :)

6. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Do u think I need to use Nan1 after LO is 6 months? I saw NaN2 and NaN3 and so I am confused.
    I ma joining work next week and LO will be 6 mo. So want to give her some supplement.

7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Poornima, breastmilk has the most number of calories ounce to ounce. Formula in itself will not help your LO put on weight, but overfeeding is what causes the increased weight gain. Given that your child has been exclusively bfed till now, it is unlikely she will let you over-feed. Could you post here why you think you need to increase your child's weight?

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

poornima if u are not planning to work in the near future , please stay away from formula... its just an added burden on ur LOs tummy....
    been there done that! my 2 cents.

ramya, is ur LO used to nan already? since how long? if its a recent thing then continue nan1 for a little longer. nan2 has casein protein n is definitely tougher to digest.but if she is already on nan1 since long, then ofcourse, go ahead with nan2.we arent supplementing at the moment ,apart from the days i get my periods.but i plan to continue with nan1 n change to nan2 at 7 months.since max feed she wld get in a day is 1, sometimes 2

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

more info from Dr sears

FOLLOW-UP FORMULAS

A new trend in artificial baby milk, popular in Europe and now on the shelves in U.S. supermarkets, is formula designed for the infant older than six months and are meant to be a bridge between regular formula and cow's milk, which should not be introduced until some time after age one. Two questions arise about follow-up formulas: are they nutritious and are they necessary? The rationale for follow-up formulas is that the nutritional needs of infants greatly increase after the age of six months (especially for calcium, iron, and protein), and some infants may have difficulty meeting these increased requirements with greater volumes of standard formula, plus solid foods. The following discussion concerns Carnation Follow-up Formula. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of follow-up formula.
    Advantages:
    • Contains more calcium. From six months to a year the RDA for calcium in infants increases by fifty percent, from 400 milligrams to 600 milligrams. Carnation Follow-up formula contains 600 milligrams of calcium in 24 ounces. It would take 39 ounces a day of standard formula to meet these calcium requirements.
    • Contains more iron. From six to twelve months a baby's daily iron requirements increase from six milligrams to ten milligrams a day. This extra iron could be supplied in 26 ounces of follow-up formula or 27 to 33 ounces of standard formula, so there isn't a great advantage to the follow-up formula here.
    • Contains more protein. From six to twelve months an infant requires an extra three to four milligrams of protein a day. Follow-up formulas contain from 10 to 25 percent more protein. A baby would need an extra three to eight ounces of standard formula per day to get this extra protein.
    • Costs less. The cost is around 20 percent less than the price of regular formula.
    • May taste better. Because it is basically milk, it tastes more like milk.
    Disadvantages:
    • Casein/whey ratio different from human milk. Basically, Carnation Good Start Follow-up is like the older version of Similac: 82 percent casein and 18 percent whey, plus calcium and a newer fat blend.
    • Sweetened with corn syrup. The rationale for replacing lactose in the milk with corn syrup <!--1 "corn syrup" -->is to get it to taste sweeter. In our opinion, using corn syrup as the prime milk-carbohydrate source in an infant under a year is nutritionally unwise. Besides insuring proper nutrition, one of the main goals in feeding an infant over six months is to shape young tastes toward the normal taste of fresh foods. Corn syrup is a sweetener and certainly shouldn't be part of a food babies eat several times each day. Our conclusion: we do not recommend follow-up formulas that contain corn syrup. They are nutritionally unwise and unnecessary. Better to give your baby a higher volume of standard formula (growing babies need more fluid anyway), plus calcium and iron-containing solid foods.

10. Padminiramesh

Thanks Poonam,

I shall check with best baby in chennai...I tried with NH but didnt fit my avent bottle...
    Also my new BPA free Avent bottles are leaking :hide:, any idea what to do for this? I bought that in Mothercare.