1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Which Cookware To Buy?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Bubbles, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

My nonstick pan is gone! Flaky and pitting. (Will have to answer MIL later.. :tonguewink:)
    I am looking to buy a replacement...and this is where the confusion starts!

This is my go to pan, for making curries / gravies / stir-fry..my multitasker..:hearteyes: Main reason, it was easy to clean he he..

So what do I get now:
    Stainless steel : wont the food stick? I have a couple of heavy-bottom stainless steel pans and cleanup after stir-frys is a nightmare..no time to scrub everyday, now.
    Cast Iron : Ouch, heavy.. and, no tomatoes?
    Aluminium : ??Safety? Again no acidic food?!!! I do have a hindalium pan, and am using it temporarily - doubtful about safety, and whether its okay to cook tomato-based thick gravies in it (will the pan get spoiled?)
    What can I cook acidic food in?!!:thinking: There is very little I cook without tomatoes, or tamarind..:sconf:

Oh, I forgot to mention, I do not want to get a teflon again.

More confused after searching the net..:icon_pc:

Chocolatey likes this.

2. Chocolatey

Chocolatey Gold IL'ite

Hi bubbles.. Thank you for starting this thread. I would be benefited as I m also in the same confused state. For temporary use I had bought a stainless steel one. But i m looking forward to buy something for long run. I also have earthenwares as option.

Bubbles likes this.
  3. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

My DH and I are trying to switch to All- Clad kitchenware. They are stainless steel and really good. Clean up isn't bad.. after cooking just soak these in warm water and baking soda with mild brushing would do the trick. Of, course to be placed in the dishwasher next.. Not sure about Indian curries.

Bubbles and blessings1010 like this.
  4. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

If your concern is regarding the effect of cookware on health, I would say immediately dump that scratched non-stick pan. Lot of research is being done on the harmful effects of non-stick cookwear already. Check out this blog if you are not done with your research yet- What is the Safest & Healthiest Cookware and Bakeware?
    For health consious reasons, the best bet is
    1. Stainless Steel - easily available in Indian stores. Cheaper and safer alternative. you will get used to clean up tricks after couple of times using it. the best for all types of food- indian gravies or western foods. I invested in a 14 container set about 5 years back under $150 from costco. Works like a charm.

2nd best is Cast iron ( although it should be 1st), for recipes which dont require acidic ingredients. I cook mostly dry veggies, omelette, pan cakes, stir fry veggies. Clean up is also easy, just use sea salt and a wooden brush. Never keep the cast iron pan wet though. have to season it once a month ( at times 1ce in 3 months if i am lazy) though. Comparatively cheap and last for years and generations. I got mine from Costco and some from Lodge directly.

3rd.Ceramic is also good option ( I tend to use only xtrema brand, as many ceramics in the market might contain lead). not my favorite. Had to get one because of MIL. She is used to only non stick back home.

Aluminium is a strict no no. Hope it helps!

Bubbles and blindpup10 like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If you can spring for it, get enameled cast iron. It works like a charm. I love Le Creuset but there are many less expensive options on the market now.

Bubbles and blindpup10 like this.
  6. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Bubbles , thanks for starting this thread.

Blessings, is cast iron good or omelettes?
    I have a lodge pan that I use to fry , stir fry. Love it. It is well seasoned, and easy to maintain
    I am using a ceramic pan for omelettes, want to switch to cast iron if that works. Appreciate your feedback. (ps - I have to use separate pans for veg , non-veg stuff. So I cant experiment on the existing one.)

Bubbles likes this.
  7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

:thumbup:
    Talk about kitchen toys and I get more excited than talking about jewellery :grin:
    I worry about letting my helper handle my dutch ovens, though.

Bubbles, do you get WMF there? Their stainless steel woks and pans are relatively easy to clean. Worth the price when you consider their durability

blessings1010 and Bubbles like this.
  8. blessings1010

@SunPa . Same here w.r.t separating utensils for vegetarian and non vegetarian. Yes if the cast iron is seasoned well, omelettes come out very nicely. DH has a small 5" cast iron pan specifically for it. IT never gets used for anything else so seasoning stays intact pretty longer. He likes raw tomatoes with his breakfast so he sprinkles some cut tomatoes over the omelette and does not flip it.

At times, I have used larger 10" cast iron for making pizza, because the pizza sauce does not really touch the base of the cast iron pan.

ohh.. did u watch that show The Pioneer woman on netflix? She has some awesome collection of cast iron skillets, most of her recipes are cooked in cast iron.

Enjoy cooking.

SunPa and Bubbles like this.
  9. blessings1010

DITOO..Playing with my kitchen toys is a zen retreat for me ( isn't that opposite of zen actually? I don't want to care if it is) But OH girl, I would love me some dutch oven...i droll over the beautiful colorful ones.

Bubbles likes this.
  10. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the suggestions ladies!
    You prewash and scrub before putting in dishwasher?
    MIL gifted a Tfal stainless steel pan, and I like it..But even sautéing onions in medium heat leaves a brown residue on the side that I need to scrub (or prewash like you do) before dishwasher-ing it.. Is there any workaround to avoid the need to prewash?
    Ahhhh.. Le Crueset...:hearteyes: some day...
    I'm a bit wary of enameled and ceramic currently as it needs a bit of gentle handling to avoid scratches.. Not now, when I'm just trying to get the cooking done and run..
    Maybe later..
    @blessings1010 same reservations about teflon here.. so using this opportunity to phase out most of the nonstick in my kitchen.. will check out the costco set, is it the kirkland brand or something else?
    :beer-toast1: love all toys n gadgets, here too.. Every shopping brochure gets thoroughly reviewed by me before H trashes it..:biggrin: WMF?? Hmmm..let me check it out..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016