1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Which coffee brands/Starbucks flavor do you like?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Nila, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Re: Filter coffee

Hi Vaidehi,

As Nandhu mentioned, you have to "aathufy" the coffee well to get the foam..I didn't use that word since I was not sure you understand Tamil :). Infact, this is one of the most important steps when making coffee in our family. Since the coffee should be piping hot but also with foam...it is an art !

I use stainless steel with Copper bottom "Vaal pathiram" ...what they call as pan here for boiling milk. I got it from Chennai. Here I see they have stainless steel or non stick pans...so far not seen ones with copper bottom.

I think the stainless steel small pans should work for boiling milk...i guess..since I use similar ones for boiling water..

Cheers
    Krithika

2. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Dear Nandhu and Krithika,

True.... The Kick lies in the Foam and the ideal temp at what we serve. I did try boiling the milk in my Steel "Pathram" ,but then i could see it sticks to the bottom. But since i read ur Post yday i did try it with my Nonstick Pan and as u mentioned it had a very thin layer to the bottom. So i would try these method now and Enjoy my Filter Coffee.

Thanks both of u for a good suggestion....it did really help me a lotBow.

Cheers
    vaidehi

3. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Which Coffee brand do you like?

Hi ladies

Do u drink homemade coffee in US,if so what coffee r u getting, does it taste like the filter coffee we get in India?

4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Re: Coffee brand?

Hi Sanravi,

Yes, I do make coffee at home by preparing decoction with the stainless steel coffee filters I got from Chennai, India.

I prefer using Kirkland brand (from COSTCO) 100% Columbian Coffee Powder-Dark Roast. It is already powdered, so we just need to put it in filter and add hot water. We get the decoction to prepare the coffee.The taste is very close to authentic South Indian filter coffee ! :drool

By the way, this topic has already been discussed...thread started by Nila..:).
    Here is the link
    Filter coffee Here all the IL'ites have discussed extensively Computer Typingabout the coffee powders available here and also various methods to make coffee at home.:coffee

It will be an interesting read for you too !

Cheers
    Krithika

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  5. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Thanks krithika..

6. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sanravi,

Even i use Kirkland brand (from COSTCO) 100% Columbian Coffee Powder-Dark Roast.It tastes v gud and similar to south indian coffee!!! Even i am having a stainless steel coffee filter at home which i bought during my india visit.

But before that i was doing coffee using normal coffee maker available in US and trust me the Columbian brand gives gud taste in that also.

But remember to buy dark roast,if u buy medium or light u will end up using a lot of coffee powder and u know how things cost now a days.:?

suji

7. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Hi...

We use Maxwell House.. Instant coffee(as we are not having coffee filters). It tastes nice and strong too, even if I add half a spoon !! :coffee

8. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Hi all...

We have been using Maxwell House brand - Instant coffee. This is very strong with milk, even when we use half a spoon. It has good taste too...Try it ! :coffee

9. srijini

srijini Senior IL'ite

best coffee powder brands

:coffeehi all,

i'm interested to know which cofee powder do u people use here in US. and which brand do u prefer most

hope u all share....

-Sri:coffee

10. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Re: best coffee powder brands

Hi...

We use Maxwell House.. Instant coffee(as we are not having coffee filters). It tastes nice and strong too, even if I add half a spoon !! I find it is very economical too.

Try it out... :coffee