1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which Breast pump to buy

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Penny, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Penny

Penny New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

After my research on breast pumps and learning different pros and cons now I am little bit confused on which one to buy.

Please can anyone suggest me which one to buy either manual or electric and which brand. I am not a working women and live in US.

I appreciate if any one gives me some good suggestions and any deals if available.

Thanks

2. jayanaresh

jayanaresh Bronze IL'ite

Hi

I used the manual PIGEON PUMP - drawback is hand paining ...........very badly
    Then I used electronic Pump - Good + comfortable + easy..........

If you are not a working woman then why you need a breast pump.?
    Ok That is your issue

3. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

hi

electric is the best..manual is time consuming and lot of effort is required..

as you have small baby to take care of electric is recommended..

happy parenting:thumbsup

4. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

i have got an electric breast pump.its from MEE MEE.i had 2 options of either going with piegion or mee mee but i was recommended mee mee so had it.its just been 2 weeks and working fine with me

5. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi

I used a medella swing electric pump. it was good.

6. megsmom

megsmom New IL'ite

Hi Penny,

If you are based in the United States, you have a lot of affordable options. You can go for a Medela electric pump. You can choose the exact model based on your budget.

For comparison and reviews, one site is Breast Pump Reviews for Nursing Moms

7. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hello ladies!

I am due in 2nd week of December. i am a SAHM and wanted to have a efficient Breast pump which is affordable too. I am confused wrt to Medela Swing or medela electric Pump. Pls share ur exp .

vaidehi

8. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

medela pump in style advanced is the best and the one to be bought with your eyes closed! I would not buy anything else!

it retails for around $279 but you can use the 20% off coupon from babies r us ... or look for some online dealer. my friend gifted me and she paid $210 for it online.

you can also check craigslist in your area to see if someone is selling it (generally around $100). just buy a new accessory kit ($25) and you should be good to go.

9. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Thanks pooja, I am a SAHM..... and will be pumping ocassionally or maybe once in a day for night feeds/early morning feeds. I feel 220 $ is little high for me thats why wanted something in between where i could get good qlty at the same time which will not be too heavy on my budget.:)

I too thought of the craiglist option, but just holding back coz of fear for infection. Will u suggest me to buy medela swing or is it not worth putting my money in it? pls advise.

10. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

2nd hand pump is ok if you buy the accessory kit new, because those are the pieces that will actually touch your milk (the falanges and the bottles). the machine is just the machine. even the tubes that connect the machine to the falanges dont ever touch the milk.

Amazon.com: Medela Breast Pump Accessory Set: Baby

I don't know much about the pump you are speaking of. all of my friends and myself have used pump in style only. 1 friend had the medela freestyle but that was not too good. I see that it is a single bottle so if you want to pump from both sides, it would take a bit longer I imagine, also I have heard that it is quite noisy compared to the pump in style. I had bought the medela manual pump (to use on a plane once) but it was just too much work to pump with that.