Which Airline For India Travel From Us

Discussion in 'Travel' started by GoneGirl, Mar 3, 2017.

1. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Wanted to see what your preferred airline is for travel to India.
    Has it changed after recent happenings?
    What in your opinion is kid friendly?

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

1. East, Middle, West, or South -- as the USA embarkation point
    2. one or two stops in the middle
    3. whether or not you want domestic legs after India arrival
    4. price
    5. Age of travellers (kids, seniors who would want wheel chair)
    6. airline service
    7. arab country stop-over (the new one, especially troublesome if this could cause arrival delay on return to USA)​

Are all criteria that go into that choice. I like Singapore Airlines. Travel from west coast to Singapore, then one hop to southern indian cities -- HYD, BLR, MAA. I can sleep in changi transit hotel, and do some final shopping as well. I hate transits through MUM, DEL.

GoneGirl likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I go to Chennai from the east coast. I have only ever flown Lufthansa. No complaints so far, but no kids either.

GoneGirl likes this.
  4. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

I prefer Emirates .Food ,service everything is good :)
    Last time we had no other option than Ethihad ( as it was a last minute plan !!) Went with stroller . After booking the ticket called and confirmed "we will get stroller in Kuwait where we had the stop ." I didn't get the stroller in any stop ( to and fro ) so it was of no use ... :(

GoneGirl likes this.
  5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I like Singapore airlines to fly over Pacific. If I go the other way (over Atlantic) I like Ethihad . As it is over middle east, the first entry to India will be our airport. So no need to change airport from international to domestic with all luggage. They also allowed us to keep baby stroller in the aircraft way itself, so that we could take it out while getting out of the flight, that was great blessing.I dont know about current system, you need to ask airlines about it (When I traveled with Qatar they took stoller way and gave it back only with our luggage, but they provide baby strollers at Doha airport, this option may be available with other airlines too)
    Another reason to chose ethihad is,USA immigration clearance will be done at Abudhabi itself, so we dont have to wait in que for hours at US airport on arrival. That is a great blessing when travelling with kids. I think this option is available only with Ethihad. I am not aware of other airlines with immigration clearance before reaching US airport. Ethihad from USA to Abudhabi to India . While coming back, India -Abudhabi-USA. Food and seating system was also OK (4 seats in the middle row was perfect for we @4

@PenPal, will Ethihad go over Kuwait before reaching India. I thought it touch Abudhabi only.
    @GoneGirl, it all depends on where in India we are going, the staring point in USA and the nearby airports available. Have a great trip

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    GoneGirl likes this.
  6. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

@DDream yeah Ethihad goes through Kuwait..I had 4 hour stop over @ kuwait

7. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Emirates, emirates, emirates it is for excellent service in economy, great food and hospitality. Ideal if from west coast.

I hated cathay (their economy bucket seats are the worst) but their premium eco was acceptable until they suspended premium eco seats on the hkg to india leg of the journey. I really do miss their end to end premium economy travel offer.

Lufthansa is Uffthansa for me. Not a fan of their hospitality food or service.

British airways - too tight. Food is nowhere like emirates

Malaysian - way too long to get to indian cities becos of 2 stops - 1 in hong kong and another in spore (i think).

Etihad, quatar ....very so-so service or so i heard.

Air India - Run, dont walk.Terrible onboard hygiene. Ancient aircrafts. Horror stories of power failure for india / u.s leg.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    GoneGirl likes this.