1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Whether New Born Has To Be Diapered Full Time?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Lithika, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Lithika

Lithika Bronze IL'ite

Hi...am from August due date club..I have lot of questions araising in mind as my delivery date is nearing..I do live in US
    1.wether baby (new born particularly) has to be with diapers always ?

2.If not what has to be used underneath the baby for water proof as Home is fully carpeted
    I do remember ppl saying abt rubber sheets which dey frm India

3.If so how long baby has to be diapered full time?

4.baby has to be swaddled always?

Please share your experience and suggestions....I would like to get some other important tips too in new born caring

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

When my child was a new born, he was either in diapers or cloth nappy all the time as they wet or soil it so very frequently. This frequency reduces as they grow.

I did use plastic / rubber mats over the bed and there will be another soft cloth over the mat. And then the baby.

Cloth nappy will require someone to clean, sterilise and dry it properly.

Nappy rashes happens now n then, some creams work better than the other. Check with your doc or buy the one with highest reviews first.

Swaddle - some does it, some doesn't. But you can for tiny ones.

Have the paediatricians number handy at all times.

You can put the child over the shoulder and pat the back softly for a burp after every feed.

If the child cries for hours nonstop, it could be colic. I suffered through that 'once' and it was crazy.

Kids fall sick so easily n quickly, just be ready to fix it rather than stressing yourself endlessly.

Few more tips, for you..

Focus on the baby and sleep and get up along with the baby.
    Get help or minimise house work as much as possible to avoid feeling overwhelmed.
    Don't shy away from asking for help.
    Go for evening walks.
    Listen to good music.
    Eat healthy.
    Take a lot of rest.
    Be positive.
    Hand over the child to the father and sleep for hours together when it gets too much. It reenergises.

It's a beautiful journey, remember to enjoy it every step of the way as it's easy to feel stressed or overwhelmed.

3. Lithika

Lithika Bronze IL'ite

Thanks....May I know where do you purchased plastic/rubber mat

4. Mario123

Mario123 Gold IL'ite

You can get quick dry instead of rubber sheets. These absorb liquid n dry fast

Lithika likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes, baby is almost always in diapers. To avoid diaper rash, you can put a light layer of vaseline after each diaper change and after patting the area dry. Or at least 2-3 times a day. You can try to give "air time" -- maybe for a few minutes right after a #2 diaper change. Have a diaper under baby but don't "close" the diaper. Is easier if the spot where you change diaper is at standing height. You can stand near baby, and smile/coo to it for a few minutes. If it is a boy, be careful or a 'spray' can surprise you. : )

The India rubber sheets are really good, but problem is cleaning them and where to hang to dry. We used to buy "underpads" in bulk. Like these ones: Amazon.com: McKesson UPHV3036 StayDry IKNZFM Ultra Underpads, 30 inches x 36 inches, Pack of 200: Home & Kitchen They are good and can be used for a few days too if no "accident" happens.

One more thing that make care of baby easier. Buy nitrile gloves. Also called "exam gloves". Use on one or both hands when changing diaper. When done changing, instead of washing hand, you can peel off the glove and use it to seal the dirty diaper. Hold the dirty diaper tightly folded in the palm, and draw the glove over it, and tie a "knot". : )

The underpad, gloves and the suction thingie that removes fluid from baby's nose (bulb syringe) were life savers! Just remember whether to press the bulb before or after putting it in baby's nose! : )

And good quality baby nail clippers.

One more thing worth doing is buy a waterproof mattress pad for each mattress in the house. You will lay the baby down on each bed now and then. If the mattress is protected with a waterproof pad, you only have to wash the fitted sheet and other linen, and the waterproof mattress pad. No need to worry about mattress getting dirty etc. The waterproof mattress pad is machine washable. Like this one: Target : Expect More. Pay Less. They last for a few years.. maybe well into potty-training time.

jillcastle, BhumiBabe and Lithika like this.
  6. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

There is something called quick dry wet mat with a soft velvette material on the top and a rubber sheet at the bottom (multi layer fabric sheet). It comes in various sizes..You can buy it and place it in all the places where you would place the baby like beds, craddle etc..
    Diapers could be worn during night..Apply coconut oil before wearing it and keep rashes at the bay!

Lithika likes this.
  7. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Regarding swaddling , each baby is different. For the first one I used swaddling blankets whereas for the second one , I only used sleep sacks and the baby was used to sleeping with her hands out from day 1. They both were out of swaddles after a month or so.

For new born care other than diapering and swaddling issues:

Make sure baby is always well fed. Try to feed the baby every 2 hours. Your doctor will tell you when and how to feed so follow that . A Hungry baby can bring the house down in no time !!

New born sleep almost 18-20 hours a day so make sure the baby gets enough rest . Try and minimize outside trips or visitors coming over. A well rested baby means a happy baby .

If you plan to nurse , you have to be very disciplined about your own diet as whatever you will eat , you will pass on to your baby. It means no gassy food, minimum caffeine , no spice for a few months at least .

Make sure you burp the baby DURING and after every feeding session . So basically, pause every 5 minutes ,burp and go back to feeding and one last burp after the feeding session is over. While feeding , make sure the baby's head is at a higher level than the stomach. Babies also have a lot of gas issues and they can cry uncontrollably with the gas pains for hours without you knowing what's going on . Always give the baby ample of tummy time and you can do basic excercise like cycling the baby's legs and massaging tummy for gas relief. Please check the videos on YouTube . I never gave any gripe water or drops to infant for gas relief .

The evening hours are called witching hours and for me both my kids used to have huge meltdown in the evenings for reasons best known to them :openmouth:. It was very frustrating and tiresome. It will be overwhelming but after a few weeks, you can slowly set the schedule. It does get better once they are on a schedule . There will be times when babies can cry for unknown reasons for hours at a stretch . Just hold the baby in a dim , quiet place , swaddle , sing a lullaby or do gentle rocking or swinging and it will soothe the baby.

Also, have your hubby or whoever is taking care of you to pitch in with baby care for a few hours every day. It's very important that you get enough rest . If it gets overwhelming( may happen frequently ), just step out for a few hours for ME time. A happy mother means a happy family so make sure you keep yourself happy and positive at all times .

Most importantly, always remember the 5S when it comes to newborn care:

Swaddle
    Swing
    Sush
    Side or stomach position
    Suck

Good luck and enjoy this time !!:blush:

8. Lithika

Lithika Bronze IL'ite

Thank u all...All your suggestions are helping me to feel I can learn things :worship2:

9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

You don't need to diaper the baby full time , I used cloth diapers during the day, big squares made from cotton sarees , if some one is visiting from India , you can buy good cloth diapers from India , should be available in most baby stores.

Cleaning is hassle but we used to have two buckets filled with hot water and dettol and toss the cloth diapers in, the potty ones need to be rinse before putting in the water.

At the end of the day or mid day you can wash then in washing machine .

Night time , I used to diaper . You get quick drying white mats from babies or us , these are helpful to spread beneath the baby .

I find co sleeping very helpful for mother and baby sleep but it is individual choice .

I also never used wipes , always water and cotton to wipe the baby. Wipes were only when we took the baby out.

Lithika likes this.
  10. Mario123

Mario123 Gold IL'ite