Where To Take Hsg Test In Chennai?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by afcpreethi, Aug 29, 2017.

1. afcpreethi

afcpreethi Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I need to take HSG test to decide further on my infertility treatment. Kindly let me know some good centres where I can take the test?

Do they give painkillers (Injections Or medicines)
    I am very very afraid to take the HSG test and postpone a lot.

Please suggest some good centres in chennai where I can take my HSG test.

Thanks
    Preethi

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017

2. divyasriram28

divyasriram28 Senior IL'ite

Hi @afcpreethi ,

HSG test is a relatively simple procedure. I got mine done less than a week ago and can share the following:

1. Your RE or gynec will prescribe antibiotics to prevent infection. This has to be taken for 3 days starting a day before the procedure.
    2. They also suggest taking painkillers one hour before procedure. I took Ibuprofen (600 mg).
    3. In the US, it is mandatory to perform a blood test for pregnancy a couple of days before the procedure. They also recommend abstinence from intercourse for a few days. Also, right before the procedure, they do a quick urine pregnancy test. This is to avoid risk of harmful rays passing to the embryo if you are indeed pregnant. You can tell how important this is for them and they try to cover all bases :)
    4. During the procedure, you will be asked to lay down on a table and the X-ray machine will go over your belly. A dye will be injected directly into your uterus which will flow to your fallopian tubes. This will cause some cramping and discomfort, similar to your periods. But don't worry as the discomfort will only last a couple of minutes at the most. Some women experience more pain if their tubes are blocked. Mine wasn't.
    5. After it is done, you can immediately get up and walk outside the door. It's not that bad.

Good luck!

navpgdi, Thyagarajan and afcpreethi like this.
  3. afcpreethi

afcpreethi Silver IL'ite

Hi Divya
    Thanks for your reply.
    Hope they do the same in Chennai also.

Thanks
    Preethi

4. saranaya1710

saranaya1710 New IL'ite

i did mine in Vijaya Hospital Vadapalani...
    For me they gave pain killer injection before the procedure... and the doctor did it with minimal pain... it was not a bug deal...
    But a year back i did HSG in Bharat scan anna nagar... they did not give me any pain killer and asked me to come for test in empty stomach.. so i had gastric issues and the pain was severe after the procedure..
    So from my experience , Vijaya hospital is good and the rates are nominal

5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Dear sister,
    I hope you have secured second opinion whether at all this test is necessary. With one advise to proceed to go for this test may unnecessarily expose delicate tissues to x rays despite there claim dosage would be within safe level. Centres are more concerned of their bottom line in this business.
    SULEKHA .COM would lead you to various centres carrying out this test at Chennai. All the best.Regards.

6. wish4miracle

wish4miracle Silver IL'ite

As the other poster said, i was asked to come in empty stomach and i had gastric issues even before the procedure. i was given a tablet to open up the cervix (that's what they said) and i had period like cramps after that. HSG was performed with anaesthesia, so there was no pain during procedure but once the anaesthesia weaned off, i had severe pain and i was okay only after i insisted for pain killer.
    So select a hospital that suits your needs(with anaesthesia or without) and be aware of the procedure.
    WRT fear, HSG is the one which got rid of my fear of hospital. May all your efforts bring positives to you.