1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Where to live in Orange County

Discussion in 'Indians in Los Angeles' started by Frostie, May 24, 2013.

1. Frostie

Frostie New IL'ite

Hello All,

I just submit the post under Indians in LA but was not sure if that was the correct location so re-submitting under normal thread of Indian's in West.

First I want to thank you who have helped me narrow down my search between San Diego and Orange County. Now we have decided that we would go for OC. since we are coming from Midwest the weather is the most important point and we don’t' want it to be too hot, so we are planning to stay as close as possible to the coast. Can anyone please help me to decide which place would be better in OC that is close to the beach with good school district like? I have a son in elementary school. The job location is not an issue for now as I will be working from home.
    I know Irvine is good but heard it’s very expensive also. How is Costa Mesa? or any other better city to consider with good Indian population besides these two?

I also heard that people in OC is very look oriented, plastic face and not so down to earth, is that true? Is anyone moved from Midwest, how did you like it there?

Thanks very much everyone for your input in advance. Look forward to have some good feedback.
    Kind Regards!

2. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I am not from the midwest, but I moved from northern california to OC 3 years ago, I didnt really notice any of the people I have met here to be plastic type. It all depends on who you surround yourself with. Costa mesa has a few indian families, fountain valley does as well. One thing I will tell you about indians in OC is that they usually do not bother to talk to anyone. Here you have to actively search for friends, I have lived in 2 different apartments with indian families, the most they ever do is smile and continue with their business. There are plenty of indians here but you have to be the first person to initiate a conversation. At first I used to see so many Indians but no one talked to me , then when I started actively searching for friend I found out that a lot of my friends had the same experience. If you go to temple regularly you have a better chance to make friends that is where most people meet others Irvine temple has a lot of functions and programs for children as well. It is much easier for people with kids to meet friends in OC.

Hope this helps.
    Shobhna

1 person likes this.
  3. Frostie

Frostie New IL'ite

Thank you, shobhna. Your feedback is helpful.

4. Emarald

Emarald Silver IL'ite

Can someone please give me overview about moving to west cost from NY. We have a choice to choose location right now. I had been to LA, San diego, SFO etc but don't know which place is best weather wise, cost of living, indian community, good schools, buying house etc. Please pour your advice. Thanks

5. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

Cost of living is high in Socal and SFO but it is worth it, the lifestyle in OC is awesome, plenty of things to do Irvine and Yorba Linda have good schools. I have lived in northern california and most places have high crime rates, LA also has a few areas where the crime rates are high, I have not had any problems living in Orange county.

6. Visa0809

Visa0809 New IL'ite

We go to hare krishna temple,actually we went there only twice as its been only 2 weeks here.Is there any other temple nearest to irvine,where we can meet some indians.

7. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

there is irvine mandir, it is on reynolds i can get the full address I have it written somewhere.

8. emkaykay

emkaykay New IL'ite

Hi Shobhna,

Thanks for your information. Do you have any recommendations for an apartment near Santa Ana (where my office is).. a 1 BDR around 1500 $ and close to a good elementary school?

Thanks a lot.

9. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

Hello,

Santa Ana is a questionable neighborhood, i suggest some other city which is close to SA try costa mesa, or Irvine (which may cost more than $1500, there are nice places in Anaheim hills an in Aliso Viejo but it would be a bit of a drive.

hope this helps
    Shobhna