1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where To Go When You Become Elderly - Hospice? Ashram? Pilgrimage?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by ChennaiExpress, Jul 30, 2017.

1. MaruthiRao

MaruthiRao Silver IL'ite

Well that was a perception, a thought, so lets us bring out in broader sense, not to limit the limitless destiny one can end up wid:), the latter part was personal:)

2. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

I remember my grandma chanting slokas and manthras and keeping her own schedule. Her chantings create a positive ambiance at home .She used to tell moral stories to us kids. Me and my all cousins were eager to hear stories from her.

I would like to be a grandma like her. Who knows so many stories and have a positive impact on children and grand kids. I am not sure with this modern life style how much it is practical. So keeping my mind open. After the retirement I would like to go for some pilgrimages then join ashram. Will keep myself available for kids if they need my support. I wish to have a quick death, so I am not burden on anyone.

3. MaruthiRao

MaruthiRao Silver IL'ite

Good thought:)

salad likes this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I am one of those kids - yours is a very nice thought. Good response!:beer-toast1:

salad likes this.
  5. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

I really wish I had a sureshot answer to this question.. I actually wonder if there is anyone who planned their retirement and it went exactly the same way.. there are so many unknown variables we have no control over . I wish to retire in a very Florida style retirement home , somewhere near the beach , have a old girls gang around where we gossip and play cards , watch movies , reminisce old times yaada yaada . Most importantly I pray I remain healthy and mobile till the end . I might get occasional visits from nieces and nephews but I don't expect to have family around .

Sandycandy and ChennaiExpress like this.
  6. dia3

dia3 Silver IL'ite

One of my well off friends' mother sold her expensive house n moved into an expensive retirement home as one gets nurses n doc on duty 24/7 in those facilities n they are customized for old age/handicaps n based on one's health problems, meals is customized too.

customizing a home for old age like customizing toilet seats, showers etc ....adding elevators is very every expensive....reduced elevation on stairs etc .. all these changes in home will be very very costly plus at home u can't get 24/7 nurses n docs by pressing just 1 button...lol....

mine n my soulmate's plan is to save enough for our old age n move into an expensive retirement home in our old age.......that's what my colleagues were also telling us..... that they also plan to do the same...

In US, the nice retirement homes are very expensive ......my friend was telling me about her mom's retirement home suite...

it was like she was having a picnic there n everything was at the press of a button.....3 times hot meals at the press of a button n food customized based on the health issue .........many live much longer in retirement homes but one shud have lot of savings to be able to afford good retirement homes as there r good n bad retirement homes just like good n bad hotels..

see, even children can't give u customized hot meals 3 times a day at the press of a button or be there for u 24/7 to take u anywhere as they will have to go to office n all

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    ChennaiExpress likes this.
  7. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

This question came to mind when a single older man mentioned he would live in old person's home.

And I was like, "My goodness, one day, healthy, smart, strapping, tomorrow in old person's home!"

8. ChennaiExpress

I agree. At the end of the day you need good people around you. And it starts with being a good, loving spouse and parent!

9. ChennaiExpress

Press of a button, eh?

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Personally, I'd like to live in my own home till I can manage. Then probably a retirement home if I am still mentally sound and reasonably mobile. Old people's home? Someone will need to get me there. If not, I shall have to invest for a one-way trip to Switzerland before I am a total vegetable. Having been witness to the indignities endured by the elderly if they are very physically or mentally ill in their old age, I would not like to get there. But then, que sera sera.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017