1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where To Go When You Become Elderly - Hospice? Ashram? Pilgrimage?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by ChennaiExpress, Jul 30, 2017.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

When you get elderly, where do you think you will end up?

Will your children take care of you at home?

Will you go to hospice, nursing home, etc?

Or will you go to an ashram and meditate, live as ascetics did 10,000 years ago?

Perhaps stay in Tibet and circumumbulate around Mount Kailash

It seems "developed" options such as hospice, nursing home actually hasten and make the dying process more painful. Sure these "modern" medicines can add years to live, but do they add LIFE to years?

Everywhere I see, once young, robust, handsome/beautiful young men and women turn into frail elderly with all the health problems.

Can we naturally prevent these health problems, and peacefully go towards the end of our lives.

Perhaps we cannot take moksha in this lifetime, but at least we can have healthy live, add LIFE to our years, be content, and gracefully go to next form (for those who believe in Reincarnation)

Thoughts?

luckysangeetha likes this.

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

"Waiting for God" is a British sitcom about characters in an old people's home. If you like it, then try "Last of the Summer Wine", also a brit-com, but old people are living in their own homes.

Check it out

Rajijb likes this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

That's interesting. Especially "Last of the Summer Wine". If someone maintained their health they can get away really silly, foolish, childish antics they never dared in earlier age.

Hmmmmmmm

4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

5. ChennaiExpress

You mean freeze you body so you are thawed in future?

Err......:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Good idea for those who have a pension benefit for life, and have set up direct deposit into a bank account. [Some pension systems have the pensioner do one of a response to a questionnaire, a phone call or a personal interview at some close location, just to avoid this sort of scam from people. In some countries, they shut off the electricity to thaw out all the freezers of the country--except those that are hooked up to private diesel generators.]

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

CS, the only answer that comes to mind is 'que sera sera, whatever will be will be'.

For those with children, one can't be sure whether the said children will/won't, can/can't take care of the parents in their later years.

As for those without kids, there is no question. Self-help is the best help, which is fine if they can take care of themselves.

Retirement homes are not a bad choice at all, but can one plan one's old age? Even retirement homes need one to be capable of managing their own day to day affairs. Can one be sure one will be in a physical/mental condition to implement one's plans? All we can do in such a situation is to pray, be prepared for any eventuality and try to ensure that there is someone to handle our affairs if we end up in a situation where we can't take care of ourselves. Ultimately we can only trust and also be prepared for the worst.

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I would take my life as it comes. Although we can plan our retirement, there is something called "destiny", that eventually controls everything.

My plan is to live at my own home with my better half during my ripe years together.
    We have our pensions, and some savings for any unseen financial requirements such as surgery/medical facilities, plus we will have our insurance in line.
    With that, we will be able to keep domestic helpers, and nurses either to stay with us or come and help during the day - depending on that time's circumstance.
    Hopefully, internet, TV, books and some guests here and there would keep us both busy and entertained during then.

However, I would be prepared and ready to to extend my supports to my children or their children at any given time of their need. Be it child care, baby sitting, pregnancy or whatever.
    Either they can come and stay with us or we/I can go to their place and help.

As for the real dark times, like once the real darkness of loneliness hits us hard, after one of us left this world, it should be easy to cope if we are in a family set up. Either with children or any other close family member.
    Loneliness can further break you down emotionally.
    No amount of paid helpers or care-homes support could equate what a family could offer during your emotional times.
    So, personally I would prefer, rather plan to settle with my children (wherever they will be) during such times.

I always believe "you reap what you sow" quote and in God.
    I am generally a very flexible person, and self-dependent when it comes to physical and financial matters. But when it comes to emotions, I need people around me.
    So, I would do my best (or not do if required) to keep my people around me. It always works, and I believe it will work down the line too :)
    I can't battle with loneliness at any time... I would rather die than living lonely.
    And I believe lord hears my prayers as always :)

9. MaruthiRao

MaruthiRao Silver IL'ite

well thought, we should be within the circle we are getting older with, however as part of geriatric life style we need to enjoy every moment with the new generations, as we groom them, we would also help the newer generations in terms of investing time to provide moral values and mentor them.
    Life does not stop here, we are always on the constant drive to learn the then stuff's from our younger generations.
    Its indeed is great experience to learn and challenge our grasping capabilities.

Lots to write about how we can plan our retirement, but i personally feel, i can be a healer though not as a doctor, but one who heals the hurted both physiologically and mentally through transformation of energies, which i am already into, but this should be persistent and reaching larger masses.:)

10. varshamohan

varshamohan New IL'ite

No one can tell that. Its all up to you. you can go where ever you want to go. AShram, Oldage home, Pilgrim centres. all are your decisions. Choose wisely. But you will be lucky if your children take care of you. Its every men's dream.

ChennaiExpress likes this.