Where to get permission to start an orphanage?

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by renu, Jan 24, 2007.

1. renu

renu New IL'ite

Dear all,
    This is Renu from Andhra pradesh.I would like to start an orphanage in our place,but I don't know how to get and where to get the permission.Basically I am a project resource person in an Non Governmental Organisation.Can any one lead me to the right direction.To whom I have to approach .
    Thank you,
    :idea: Renu

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
    1 person likes this.

2. ManuuRaghuu

ManuuRaghuu Senior IL'ite

Hi Renu,

I really appreciate your noble thought of starting an orphanage.I must be very late in responding.But by googling i found out the following info.

How to start a orphanage? - Yahoo! Answers India

Wishing you success in your endeavors,:thumbsup

Regards,
    ManuuRaghuu

3. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite

Renu

Your post has made me register on this site so that I can reply to you..Really to start an orphanage is such a noble thought and please think that all of us are with you. Let us know how your plans are proceeding and where are you planning to start this so that when we visit India I would surely love to comeover and also would like to send some money to your orphanage to support your effort to start with. I know it may not be a big amount however few drops together make a large ocean so hoping that all of us would be able to do something from our end to support you in your noble thought and in implementing it.

Good Luck!!

4. AnjaliD

AnjaliD Senior IL'ite

Renu,

I think its a very noble business idea.

I would think that to get good guidance in starting a Orphanage, talking to some orphanages in your area should help.
    But I also do know a lady here who used to run a orphanage in Gujarat ( she's retired now) and I will talk to her and get some info.
    Will let you know soon.

Anjali

5. vv123

vv123 New IL'ite

Hi Renu,

Indeed a very good thought. Let me know about yr plans.

Vidya

6. rajpriya

rajpriya New IL'ite

Dear Renu first hats off and congrates for ur noble thought.
    All the very best..

7. AnjaliD

AnjaliD Senior IL'ite

Renu,
    I talked with the lady whom I know and who used to run a Orphanage in Gujarat. She did tell mew that every state may have different requirements and check with your state rules.

She said that the best place for you to start would be to meet your local Social Service dept. They should be able to guide you.
    I know that this does not sound like a very detailed info but every State has different set of rules and this makes the process a bit difficult.

Also, you need to check how many Orphanages are there in your area. If you already have one then the local government might not even give permission to open another one nearby.

Hope I was of any help. Keep us updated on your progress.

Anjali

8. Kirsh

Kirsh New IL'ite

9. mythreyiraju

mythreyiraju Senior IL'ite

Hi Renu,

First of all Congrats for your thought. I am also interested
    to start an orphange age home. But, I need support & help.
    Long back you postedbthe thread. Now what is the status?
    Did you start an Orphange? Please Let me know the details.
    I am ready with my helping hand.

Love
    My3:thumbsup

10. Clifton

Clifton New IL'ite

Hey Renu,

My family and I moved out to India from Australia in 2004 to run an orphanage in Uttarakhand. It has been the most challenging and amazing experience of my life. I now have a OCI (like a citizenship) for India and have commited the rest of my life to this place and the work here.

It is not an easy thing to set up an orphanage, Krishg had some good advice when he said:

This is not the end though... there are heaps of other things that you may/may not have to do. They all depend on how you want to run the orphanage. If you want to be able to offer tax-fee donations to donors this is very difficult -but still achievable.

If you plan to run a school on the orphanage you need to think about things like a "Shiksha Adhikari Cert" (basic education) as well as recognition with a curriculum board like CBSE.

There are also other things like if you want to get outside financial aid (ie from overseas) you will need a FCRA Number (Foreign Contribution Regulation Act). These can be difficult, but again achievable.

If you just want to start a small orphanage (say less than 20 children) not as a recognised NGO funded purely by Indian donors (ie family/friends) there are a few simple things that you can do. If you want any more information, advice or anything please feel free to get in contact with me and my family.

Clifton Shipway

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2009
    KashmirFlower likes this.