1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

where to buy silk sarees in kanchepuram

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by radhikaraj, Sep 14, 2007.

1. radhikaraj

radhikaraj New IL'ite

Hi, i need ur help. My best friend's SIL is getting married. my friend wants to get a silk saree for herself to wear for this occasion. And she wants to get this sari from kanchipuram. Though i told her that T.nagar is the best choice, she badly wants to visit kanchipuram. Since all her relatives buy sarees from kanchi, i guess she too is curious to go there. Since she is not in good terms with her MIL's house, she does not want to ask them for the address. So we decided to go to gether. i know the names of the co-operative stores like Murugan and Amman and so on. But i want to know the name of the street in which these shops are put up and how far it is from the kanchi railway or the bus station. And can someone kindly tell me how to go from chennai by train and is there any special trains from Beach or central to Kanchi. IF u r an expert in buying silk sarees, please suggest me some tips as she wants to get an grand one.thanks.

Venkat20 likes this.

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi,

You have busses from Tambaram. Come by train from beach station to Tambaram Station. Come out and you will find lots of busses to go to Kanchi. Also you have trains at allotted timings to go to Kancheepuram. But the train timings will not suit you I beleive.

I am sorry I am not so sure of the street but as you have said that you know the names of the co-op soceities and as you have given it just give me a day's time I will enquire and post it here.

You could also call up 183 of the BSNL and enquire the address and phone number telling the names. Or call up 26444444 and can enquire them too.

3. radhikaraj

radhikaraj New IL'ite

hi, thanks for your suggestion. radhika.

4. padmamadhavan

padmamadhavan New IL'ite

hi ,

In kanchipuram theres a shop called "kaalathi silks" i got all my wedding sarees from that shop. But im not sure of the address. I think all the co operative stores are in gandhi road.

Padma.

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear radhika,
    i had done silk saree business in bangalore and i found varadashah and sons very good but the one with whom i did business is very much in chennai and next to kumaran silk area why dont u get it from there it self, all things that are manufactured are taken there, there is no price difference much, their sarees are heavy and very good in combinations, i used to pick up the best, whether it was silk thread work or simple zari's with a lot of color combinations, nowadays no one makes silver zari, so it would be good to invest on something that has a lot of work in silk thread and a small line of zari to enhance the work, these large borders of zari do curl up as u use and loose their shine in the long run. so good combi of colors and design work done in thread gives more shelf life to saree, never dry clean them, always use soap kai if stained, light warm water and soap kai will preserve the silk, nowadays we have softener, and liquid soap which is the solution for all these, as it is a natural fibre u need to take care well, if u dry clean all those chemicals damage the sarees for good..sunkan

6. achu

achu Bronze IL'ite

hi radika.
    am a gr8 fan of silk sarees, i used 2 get 'm from the silk societies -owned by TN govt. n not the co-optex .. i feel ,quality of silk is xcellent...n the freshness lasts for yrs together[ mom has a good collection:tongue]
    but they have very less selections.......but quality is guarenteed!
    [

7. vani_kanchi2000

vani_kanchi2000 New IL'ite

hai ,

u have many designs in prakash silks at kanchipuram.try in sri kumaran silks , rmkv, pothys at chennai for more designs and lattest embroidery worked sarees

bye

8. vasthraa

vasthraa Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sunkan
    I was browsing thro the threads n bumped into your post.

Can you pls mention the name of the shop next to Kumaran's, which can be of use. TIA

9. devaramya

devaramya New IL'ite

You need to go to mettu street in Kanchipuram and this is famous for silk saree sale.

10. anitha cr

anitha cr New IL'ite

This is an old thread, but someone who comes later to this thread might find this info useful.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2009