1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where our young generation leading???

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by cheer, Apr 17, 2007.

1. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Shooting in Virginia-It was really indeed very shocking & sad. I read it was an asian shooter. Where we're leading???????Last year in Canada another Indian Guy killed 1student,

Sept. 13, 2006, Montreal, Quebec -- One gunman opens fire at Dawson College in Montreal, leaving a student dead and 19 more injured.

CityNews: School Killer Described By Witnesses As Asian Male, Around 19 Years Old

What happened to young generation, no tolerance??

Youth is our future & where they are leading, let us discuss, so that this not happen with our kids. & how they can solve problem without voilence.

Really a grim problem. So ladies lets discuss

We should understand the love, affection, relations & bonding between parents, children, friends & relatives. If we fail to undertstand & start becoming too pragmatic & showing only trendz towards materialistic world, incidents like this are bound to happen. We have not seen such bloody incidents in Indian society where a man comes & kills randomly like this. Of course, there are some incidents in india too but the % of such incidents is much more in American society where there is no meaning for peace, love & affection. Americans should understand from these events that what America is really missing is peace & these types of incidents are becoming quite common there. Indians too should learn that inclining towards a materialistic world only leads to such bloodied events rather than peace for mankind. At the end of the day, what every human being needs is a small piece of bread & butter and a companion to love for life.

the American culture of allowing people to carry guns should be banned. People in rest of the world never posses a gun and so such crimes are less. Pray that the soul of the dead may rest in peace.

PS-Dear moderators i posted this seprately also so that everybody gets attention.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007

2. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Some of them i think so far--

1) We should teach them our indian culture, importance of tolerance & peace.

2) Learn more abt our Religion, read more religious books like Gita etc, so that they know how important is peace in life.

3) Spend more time with our kids, deal with all there problems & explain the right method.

sindmani likes this.
  3. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

maybe past olden days were always good
    we had so much time with parents grandparents and had time to play and share with so many people in the house
    today all are lonely
    and ultimate result is they try to chat tv video friends **** this tht and this is the result
    somehow todays generation is really at risk of competition,pressure and acheivement
    god save our kids
    as our role we shd do take care of atleast our own kids and their immediate friends atleast

4. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Radha,

I do agree with U. Now a days kids are getting more reserved, spending most of the time in internet & get some weird ideas. They are not sharing there problems with their parents & result is this.

Now a days maybe parients are more busy with there working life they can't give much time to there kids. Especially most of the ladies working maybe that's the reason kids can't share there problems with parients & without right direction, they do this kind of things.

Long time back i was watching one serial, kids parients are too busy with there jobs, they didn't give much attention to there kids & result one day when there daughter going to night club father oppose & she called the cop.

5. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

1)Promoting a family culture is the only solution to all such crimes and even petty crimes. In India most of the kids fear doing such things because of love for their family and they dont want to embarres their family by such acts. Also family provides the best social care and love education. Its not possible to teach someone to love and care by mere books. Kids have to see the subtle care and love in between family members to learn it practically. This is what US lacks. First is the superficial methods of expressing love between people and this is passed on to the kids as learning. A kid is made to sleep in a seperate room since age 6 months, how will he ever get close to parents?? A mother has to say to a kid that she loves him/her. In India I barely remember my mom or dad saying it to me in my entire lifetime, but I know they do by their acts and I do love them back and it will be that way forever.

US needs to promote real family, friends and social culture to stop all this.

And India needs to stop following US for its culture. Today we dont see the results of the western culture influence but this will show up later on and with the amount of population India has it will be very very hard to control it then.

2) The society today has lost human touch of sentiments and emotions. People have lost what it means to be a good friend and support. The life today is so artificial that we dont know even who lives next door to us for years. Humans are becoming more selfish and comfort minded for their own desires. The value system and character building is lost in pursuit of money and comfort.
    Being friendly today means how much useful the person is to you or it is just by instinctive human desires. The parents know how to give their children the best in materialistic world but often they are far lacking behind in training their children to cope with pressures of life and inculcating values of mutual respect, caring and helping each other. The adults have low patience level to react to situations where it requires "CONTROL OVER SELF".
    We, the Adult Generation
    need to take responsibility that we have trained ourselves less in setting BETTER EXAMPLES for our children.
    We cannot escape the fact that we need to realize the "Explosion of Value system" now..otherwise it might be too late..
    :)There's always the Sun rising after a dark night....Lets work on ourselves becoming better human being each day and training ourselves first in being Good Friend, patient, optimistic, encouraging and giving hope to all with a "Never give in" spirit.
    Coz we never know when we might be saving one from committing such tragedy.

3) In India society is completely different from the US. India people have lots of support system in the form of family, friends, social lives, diverse indoor activities, plenty of outdoor sports, many cultures and traditions, holidays, festivties, healthy games, etc. Here, children are kept indoors half the year due to cold weather and the rest of the year due to parents' workloads, money-making, lack of family values, lack of principles, few kids parks, lack of activities for kids and teens, fewer holidays that families as a whole an observe due to work schedules, etc... all leading to frustration and depression. Addictio to TV, computer games and violence in daily life whether it is swearing at people or being discourteous and aggressive in road driving is - rampant in nearly every house here. Indians and rest of Asia also should be grateful for what they have there - a good healthy life. I have never heard of Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi etc kids going on school rampages - though there you would expect to see more frustration and depression due to poverty issues. But that is not the case. The US today lacks family values, that is why we are all being made to suffer. Please pray for America to be a better nation that is whole once again.

4) It is not just computer games.
    It has got to do with relaxed gun control laws seemingly under the cloak of liberty. Perhaps it is a legacy from the wild west days. It is easy get a real gun into wrong hands. You cannot buy a drug without prescription, but buying a gun is no issue.
    It also has to do with movies and late night TV serials where violence is common place. If you watch too many of these, killing others seems heroic.
    The society also plays a part. It is a competitive society where individual success matters so much. And if you fail, there are no support systems. You are so lonely.

sindmani likes this.
  6. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Good analysis Cheer.

Reading all your points make me think - Did we as parents or future parents make a right decision to leave our country at all? Did we make the first mistake of coming and settling here (for that matter anywhere outside India) and having kids where there is no family culture like in India? Do we play a major part in pushing our young generation for what are today? I have seen a lot of teenage desi kids who come to some social gathering, they sit in one corner and do their own stuff. They don't like taking to others in the gathering...htye either keep listening to music or playing some video games or some such thing. We as teenagers were never like that when we grew up in India, infact we used to look fwd to such gatherings, where we can dress up and meet our distant cousins and play and have fun together.

From past 2 days I am really disturbed and keep thinking did we take a right step.

Also the other important factor for these kind of acts is the effect of modernization I feel. More and more the kids get access to the internet and its contents, more they learn both good and bad things.

Regards,
    Sihi

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Well said Cheer and Sihi

Sihi,like you I am also thinking the same.Infact,last night I was telling hubby that we should not stay here for long. Infact,when we came here in Oct 2004,we had all plans of going back as soon as possible and even now have the same.Hope it will work out.

The most important factor is our son.We don't feel secure when it comes to his schooling. To add to it,the standard of education in India is much better than in U.S. atleast when it comes to school level. Another factor is the culture here,it is a drastic shock when you come here the first time.I surely don't want my son to grow up and imbibe this culture.

Looks like I have digressed a lot from the actual topic,so let's go back to the main topic.Where the young generation is heading? The young generation in U.S.- well ,I just don't know where they are heading and the young generation is India -they are aping the west to a large extent and I am concerned about that too!!

8. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Yes Sunitha, you said it right...even we were thinking of going back...but WHEN is the big question sadly:icon_frown: .

All these acts from young people of most developed countries is the effect of modernization I feel. Sometimes I feel, its better that India is a part of third world countries...because kids don't have that much access to other infomation sources still and they still look up to their elders for guidance.
    But as you have said - the western influence is pre-dominant in India too. Last year when I went to B'lore I was totally shocked to see so many young working women on streets smoking, wearing skimpy clothes!!!!! I think smoking was considered a hep thing to do or something. Certainly that was not the case when I was working in India 6 years ago.

-Sihi