1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where is our patriotism.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anyuna, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Anyuna

Anyuna Silver IL'ite

Hello,
    Yesterday was sports day in a school.Me and my family reached a bit late hence had to sit in last row . Its a very prestigious private school,I know a few hot shot families also were there.
    The shocking part that gave me such a doubt is when the programme ended our National Anthem started I found only the front row people stood after that a few here and there a few were standing towards the last row people were starting to pack up or some were eating snacks and chatting ,funniest part I found is a lady was looking at me with a strange expression that I could not understand.
    This happened even after the principal of the school pitiably announced that the National Anthem is about to be played and please stand!!!
    I asked later on whether my family members felt any feelings when It is played .I even called up my father to put the question forward, strangely my own children answered they don't feel any thing ,me and my hubby looked at each other.we are helpless this is something which cannot be induced by anyone .so where are we lacking in our system that we are unable to pass on our patriotism .What can we do to rectify the same.
    I still feel my chest constrained with emotion when ever I hear It .
    So why were those Indians acting insouciant?
    Anyone who can put some light in this is welcome.
    Please share your thoughts .

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Anyuna

This is really sad to hear but I did not come across anything like this outside India or in India becoz i have always seen all the people standing when the National Anthem was going on.
    Now a days I have seen in India even the movie halls before the movie starts they play our National Anthem, from small kids to older people you will see each and everyone standing.
    Even when it plays on TV we all just stand up this happens automatically even before anyone telling us to stand.
    Even after the principal telling them to stand the audience did not do it, it is really sad, I think it is the parents who need to teach the kids to give respect to our national anthem, but here the parents themself are packing they belongings...........real surprise to read this article.

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anyuna,

This is purely my personal feeling about this topic, and I know there will be many who do not agree.

There are two aspects to this.

1. Singing/listening to the national anthem is a way of declaring respect for the country or one's patriotism. Hence it is a ritual. There are some people to whom rituals are important without their experience of patriotism would not be complete. To others the ritual has nothing to do with the true inner feelings. I love my country. But I don't particularly enjoy any ritual - religious or other.

2. I love my country dearly. But as I see it now, very honestly, I am unable to stand up with my head high and declare I am Indian. Why? Because I know that my country is showing a sharp decline in honesty, integrity, discipline and a general sense of values. The corruption makes me very angry. Our lackadaisical attitude towards our problems as well as the lack of consideration for our fellow Indians makes me mad. So any outward display of the greatness of our country, when in reality we know the real state of affairs seems hollow and meaningless to me.

But let an Indian stand on a dias winning a prize for an achievement with the anthem playing in the background. Hand on my heart, the same national anthem brings a lump to my throat and my heart swells with pride.

A truly patriotic Indian would be more concerned about doing his/her bit for the country. Then I don't think it really matters whether they care about the anthem or not.

And to avoid any sentiments being hurt by individuals who do not show respect to the anthem, it is better it is not played in theatres. In fact I thought it is no longer played anywhere.

1 person likes this.
  4. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Anyuna,

It is sad but very true. It is not always nowadays that we see anyone stand up when the National Anthem is played. I still have a habit to atleast stand up when I hear it being played. Actually, once we went for a movie....I think it was patriotic movie. So the Anthem was played before the start. Out of the packed theatre of nearly a 100+, only 50% actually stood up in attention and the rest stood up because everyone else did!!!

Children nowadays have nore exposure to almost everything, but not too much patriotism. I think schools have to be more strict and try to put in these values in their students.

We still feel proud when we hear patriotic songs on Independence day and Republic day. Hope the young generation grows up with this proud feeling for their country as this is generation is the tomorrow of India.

5. Soumedh

Soumedh Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Sad..may be school authorities were not firm and loud to wake up the crowd for national anthem:(

Here we are fortunate to witness indians very well respond to national anthem in any of the gatherings.

Your post reminded me ..our recent independence day celebration in Malaysia...On this 15, august we were in Malaysia on our holiday..we all indians from all parts of the world in our bus celebrated independence day by singing national anthem! and it was truly amazing experiance of joy and pride for all of us.

Children today are more exposed to entertainment ,gadgets etc...so school should play responsible role to instill qualities like being proud about own country and singing national anthem with pride!

Rgds

6. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Soumedh,
    what you are saying is correct. Abroad the zest is more. Perhaps living away from home makes one feel the need to appreciate your country and its pleasures and liberties that you can take in your own country!!!

We too have witnessed these functions during our tenures in Africa and Middle East and perhaps the same will be in other countries too....

My brother and I were brought up in Africa and studied in an Indian School there. I remember those Independence and Republic Days when even parents attended the Flag-hoisting ceremonies.

1 person likes this.
  7. Anyuna

Anyuna Silver IL'ite

Thank you Satchi for your thoughts .

8. Anyuna

Anyuna Silver IL'ite

Thanks Soumedh .

9. Anyuna

Anyuna Silver IL'ite

I try to do the same Arunanarc ,but I was unlucky to see that.

10. Anyuna

Anyuna Silver IL'ite

Rkgurbani,do you feel the person who does not get up in his home town will do the same if he goes out of the country? I doubt.