Where do I donate old clothes

Discussion in 'Chennai' started by elza, Mar 30, 2009.

1. elza

elza New IL'ite

I have some used dresses of my 3 yr old son. I wish to donate them so that it becomes usefull to someone needy. Can u tell me where shall I give in Chennai

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009

2. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

Hi friend,

usually i donate my family old clothes once in a year to my maid , watchman , ironing man and keerai-kari in my surroundings first according to their needs [as we personally know about their family ] , if any surplus remains even after this, i give it to the beggers sitting outside the temple where i use to go and finally to any nearby orphanage. hope this helps.

regards,

3. sharadha

sharadha Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

You can donate to orphanages. Their contact details can be got from the local magazines / yellow pages.

4. harinisripada

harinisripada Gold IL'ite

I usually give the sentimental pieces (or gifts that they bought!) to my sister or brother's younger children
    .. Then to the iron wala or maid or milk lady etc whoever has children...

Then I call Udavum Karangal .. they come home and collect..

My own clothes also, I give to The Banyan which caters to women found on the streets, mentally retarded women etc... so that the good cotton dresses are used by someone...

Most orphanages come home and collect, so just put all the toys, bottles, clothes and shoes in bags/covers and call them...

5. elza

elza New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply everybody. Normally I also give away those clothes to my maid or keeraikari. I still have surplus and I thought may be there are some others who 'really' need them. (Somebody told me most of the above mentioned people resell them. )
    thanks Harinisipada on the information on udavumkarangal and the banayan. I found their numbers and is going to contact them. That way I can make sure all my sentimental pieces ends up in exact places.

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear friends,

It is good to read all your valuable suggestions as to where we can effectively donate used clothes. However much we limit our shopping, over a year, used clothes pile up like mad.

After exhausting all the reusable, recyclable used clothes that we gift (hand down) or donate, most of us end up with sarees, towels, curtains, bedsheets etc that are torn. Which cannot be given away since it will be degrading the beneficiary. Recently, I found a credible NGO that willingly accepts such clothes.They use them to make sanitary napkins which they donate freely in slums, maternity hospitals, female prisons etc.

I was so impressed by their service that I contacted their local office. They showed me how to make sanitary towels at home with reusable, yet torn sarees, petticoats, etc. The process involves washing the clothes, ironing them, measuring them and cutting them to size, layering and wrapping them in paper. It takes hardly anytime to make them. The NGO will collect the ready napkins for distribution, we can accompany them for that, if we wish.

In case, we are too busy to make them, the representatives of the NGO will come home and pick up the torn clothes. They will make and distribute the napkins themselves.

Please support this cause. After all, we are only giving away torn clothes that are past use for any other purpose.And we will be empowering a woman to move about more freely.

7. elza

elza New IL'ite

hi vidya,
    that was a very helpful information. Can you please let me know their contact details.

8. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

hey Vidya...where is this NGO, from whre are these people operating....please let us know..

9. kashvya

kashvya Silver IL'ite

Hey Harini, Could you let me know how I can contact Banyan? Do they make house visits to collect clothes?

10. kashvya

kashvya Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidya

Pls do let me know the details about this NGO. Their service is so very noble. wow!!! hats off to them