1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where do I belong?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LightOfVictory, Sep 17, 2010.

1. LightOfVictory

LightOfVictory Junior IL'ite

Thanks Spidy! Poets are also like us only, but gifted to write the thoughts and feelings in a nicer and attractive manner! :bowdown

Bharathi's kannama... thats the biggest compliment. vetkama irukku! (feeling shy!)

I have found to identify myself with many of Bharathi's thoughts in his poems, for that matter, with many of the great writers in philosophical, spiritual, romantic or literary realms that I had happened to read! :)

Thanks again for stopping by.

2. LightOfVictory

Thanks True. After posting this thread, my teenage love for Bharathi was rekindled. Please don't tell my hubby dear! :hide: (he knows it anyways :crazy)
    So searched for Bharathi's pic, and had it in my avatar. Actually, this is my 1st avatar in IL! :thumbsup

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  3. LightOfVictory

Thanks for the appreciation. I agree, we can identify with a wider range and I am happy to do that. But now I am questioning the identity itself? Is it real? Is it needed? (Am I turning philosophical here?!! :hide: )

P.S.: My intention of writing in Tamil is not to alienate the readers of this thread, just that my thoughts about the cherished literary lines are better expressed in the original words of the original writer! I guess, you appreciated it! Thanks again for that!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  4. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear LOV,

First of all, I would like to give you same pinch.:)
    You reflected my thoughts exactly, infact better than that.
    I think its a lovely coincidence that I was discussing about 'Tamilish telugu', its origin with Sridhar uncle (Varalotti),recently.

I am also in the same position, whenever I speak "our telugu' with my parents in phone , my AP colleagues pull my legs saying they need to hang themselves hearing my telugu.(now a days , i learnt to switch the 'telugu' depending upon the persons with whom i speak:))

In my profile in IL site, I have given my mothertongue as "tamilish telugu" :biglaugh

My inlaws do not speak any of the tamilish telugu(Yes! It differs lightly upon the region, doesn't it?) except some words. (mine is a love marriage and with the coincidence that he belongs to similar caste, our marriage happened without much hurdles)
    So they feel like "Gemini channel a eppa stop panuvanga?" whenever they visit our quite big family:biglaugh:biglaugh .

Sorry for my long reply LOV.

I thoroughly enjoyed your post. I am happy that you share my views.
    Hugs to you.
    Loved your excellent write up:cheers

5. LightOfVictory

Same pinch. I also try to switch depending upon the listener and succeed sometimes. It's just that I am uncomfortable doing it, don't know why. :drowning

That's cool! :)

Thanks for the long reply and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :cheers

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  6. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Quite impressive, lightofvictory. You have an impressive user id and your long post was equally so.

In spite of your post being unusually long you carried the reader all along and made him feel at the end that the post has ended too soon. The soft, natural language, the simple narration did the trick. And Madam, you are not simply bi-lingual but tri-lingual.

I want to record a few thoughts of mine on this subject to make this thread complete.

a) English is also our language. Just imagine my interacting with people living in Assam, AP, Maharashtra and all. That would not have been possible but for English. And I want to stay in touch with everybody here. That was why I dont post in Tamil (though the site as well as yours truly now have that capability) and I don't want to post anything in the Madurai Forum, though I love my hometown and have never left it for any significant length of time.
    When I went to England as a part of an Exchange Team on the final day I thundered to a pure English audience, "English is as much a part of India, as Himalayas, a part of our topography and marriage, a part of our culture." In fact if at all we remained as one country it's thanks to English.

b) I also love Kanian Poonkunranar's profound declaration. (Incidentally I belong to a Masonic Brotherhood who celebrate Universal Brotherhood day every year on June 24th). But after reading so many commentaries and interpretations I am now inclined to think that the great seer preached Universal Brotherhood through our Karmic theory. The second line of the verse is theethum nanrum pirar thara vaara. And the first line has to be read in conjecture with the second. So nobody else can do me good or bad. Only I can do to myself. So I might be born this time here in Madurai, the next time I might be born a Pakistani in Islamabad, and in another time, the President of the US and again an Eskimo in the polar region. So where's my motherland? Everywhere. Who are my relatives? Not just my brothers and sisters in this birth. But all men and women.

c) The third and fourth line of Bharathiyar is even more profound. Nokkum idamellam naamanri verillai. nokka nokka inba kaliyattam. Everywhere we see wee see only ourselves. As we see ourselves around us more and more we dance in the joy of one-ness.

A very profound post Light of Victory. I enjoyed every word of what you wrote. Looking forward to reading more from your desk.
    love,
    sridhar uncle

7. LightOfVictory

Sridhar uncle,
    How can I thank you for your time to read a novice's post and give her a long reply?
    How can I thank the accomplished writer for his kind words? It's indeed my privilege.

Thanks again Uncle.
    LightOfVictory (Full form) -- loose translation of my real name!
    LOV (short form) -- I strongly believe in it.

A compliment from you is to be treasured for my lifetime!

I cannot agree more here. I believe we (Indians) are what we are as a country today because of it too. How could we proudly project a +ve GDP growth when the whole world was tumbling down? English is one of the most important reasons for our economic growth. Coming to think of it, actually it helps numerous Indians to earn our 'bread and butter', including me.

Masonic Brotherhood - interesting, I will read upon it.

Universal Brotherhood through Karmic theory - Very interesting thought to ponder!

This is the oft-quoted lines in my dictionary! Going forward, I will remember it with first line! It throws a whole different meaning :)

This completes and complements my long post.

Thanks for visiting with your valuable and profound feedback.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  8. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Dear LoV,

Imagine my surprise...I did not know that you had written a snippet here. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, my God you write amazing. :thumbsup

When someone ask my DH where are you from, he almost always falters and tells I am from all over South India... :rotflthat is because he is kannadiga by birth but his Dad is from interior Tamil Nadu, and he was brought up by his grandparents (mom's side) in Hyderbad, AP...so he is mix of all these and speaks fluently all the languages but funny thing is his Kannada is a mix of Tamil and Kannada and little bit of Telugu too in that.......so I always make fun of him.

Now me on other hand, am also a kannadiga but born and brought up in AP. And added to that my Dad is from Maharashtra.

Oh the confusion of where do I belong? :rotfl

Very funny one LoV, completely loved your writing. :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  9. LightOfVictory

Thanks Jaya. I have known your confusion and your funny Tamil too :hide:
    But your husband, too? :rotfl

Thanks again for stopping by.

10. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Sorry for stopping by late, my friend (literally speaking, I guess :)).

I read it soon after you posted it and was struck as much by the profound message as at your ability to quote from such masters of Tamil literature. Since then, have been coming back to revisit this post at least once every morning before starting my workday to indulge my mind's thirst for some really classy writing. Awesome is all I can say LoV.:thumbsup