1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where Did I Go Wrong With My Parenting ?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by mangaii, Feb 9, 2018.

1. silento

silento Silver IL'ite

Following this thread. Thank you for all the insights.

2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@Srama I have been toying this idea about involving my friends. But I think my daughter is at a very sensitive age where she knows what she is doing is not the right thing but still does it. When I suggested this to her she said I'm invading her privacy by discussing with other people . One more thing I want to point out is I'm the only mom who is little strict about food. This comes from my own journey with obesity. Sometimes I do restrict food more than other moms. I have slowly realized this shouldn't be the case. I have been relaxing some rules. But the thing is If i relax some eating habits she will give a long lecture to me on how I should provide healthy eating options. But when I'm not there she makes unhealthy options. This is the confusing part to me. What is the need for her to pretend like someone other than herself to me ? I'm not blaming her alone. I'm 100% confident I have done something to convey this to her. She also had GERD reflux when she was young so I kind of get involved too much in her eating habits but looks like there is more damage than good.

Shanvy likes this.
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@mangaii preteen years are esp hard. Those are all wonderful suggestions from been there /still here moms.
    I had the junk overload problem at home . Its largely under control now. The only thing that has helped is taking the boys grocery shopping. I would explain the nutritions labels what they mean . I let them choose their snacks but they had to come up with healthy(ier) options. It was funny seeing them hunt for stuff and come and say" amma these grocery guys are sneaky ..they keep the good ones out of reach ". They had to learn it for themselves. As a reward I let them get away with a packet of cheetos /doritos. Just the feeling of being in control instead of being told what to eat helped us quite a bit.

SCA, sindmani and mangaii like this.
  4. mangaii

This is the key sometimes I get carried away and do it. I don't get much help from DH and then get disappointment when I don't see the results. This is the thing I don't know when I should make decisions for her and when to give free reign to her. This is the most confusing part to me. Thanks @Lask09 I cannot thank you enough for writing all this. I'm glad I came back to this forum for advice. It helps me to make a pause and check and then make a decision.

5. mangaii

@justanothergirl This is a great suggestion I will try this and see how it works. I have changed my approach towards food. I have talked through myself and providing better options for my kids. The thing is there are kids from other cultural background who eat tons of junk and still look healthy. Being vegetarian and lack of protein with added junk makes a bad combo. I will try to implement this when I take them shopping this weekend.

6. justanothergirl

I have the same prob with protein . Few snack options
    1) unsweetened fat free greek yogurt with granola
    2) hummus and baked pita chips
    3) apples and peanut butter.
    4)smoothies. Starting around ur DD age I let them make their own smoothies.Would encourage them to add a bit of silken tofu to up the protein content. With boys the lure of "added inches with the more protein " helped.
    5) they are slowly getting used to tofu. Marinated (in all the desi spices) and stir fried seems to be going in without too many complaints.

SCA and mangaii like this.
  7. justanothergirl

Sigh...add to this..each one is so very different I feel like :BangHead:.

mangaii likes this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @mangaii,

You are a wonderful mother Mangaii and between you and me (well now that I am posting here), I have been fortunate to be a sounding board for many a teenager (as a mom's friend and a teacher) hence my suggestion came out the way it did. I understand what you are saying. What I meant was not you asking her to talk to a friend of yours but to see if you have a friend who she looks up to and the friend can casually talk with her, from time to time and a regular basis taking interest in what she does and asking questions, talking things out. That's not important anyways but this here caught my attention.

I think you have nailed it here. Start fresh with her - tell her you are a team and both of you need to make decisions together, be it food, grades, extra curricular activities or anything you sign up. This will only increase her confidence in the decisions she makes and will help you to listen to her and gently guide her as well. It is not just you, we all as mothers come with and bring our baggage. It is no doubt a delicate balance and I do know that.

Don't think about her reaction, use it an opportunity to get her on board and do what she says - together. Deep down she knows you are doing your best and she is trying hard to be what you are trying to teach, take the cues and back her.

Best wishes. Wonderful suggestions from everyone.

mangaii likes this.
  9. mangaii

@justanothergirl I'm glad you are able to understand my situation. The thing is parents around me either have kids who listen to them blindly or parents who give all the freedom to the kids and don't care much. I feel like the middle class family in India where we can neither relax rules nor enjoy life.
    @Srama I totally feel that she understands my intentions still that temptation to feel happy at that moment is way higher. Once she told me that she eats when she I get upset with her. But the thing is I cannot pretend to be happy all the time. I think she is handling too many emotions and combine with strict environment at home I feel she is not able to handle it. The truth is I want to pause her life and mine so we can re-build the bond. It is just too many things going on it is hard to stop and breathe and relax. I really don't want to be close to her and support her.

Shanvy, Rihana and justanothergirl like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@mangaii,

I agree with everyone who said, "don't beat yourself up" for this situation. There are some excellent suggestions from everyone here. I don't have a daughter and hence I have no experience of raising a daughter and their age-related issues. However, we have raised only a son who performed very well in the elementary and middle schools. We have made a unilateral decision to put him on an IB program much against his wish to go to an Engineering oriented curriculum in a school far away from home. He resisted that throughout his high school and his performance dropped dramatically. Besides, both my wife and I are strict disciplinarians and when his friends were allowed to hang out until late night, we strictly followed the time schedule for him to go to bed and so on.

He was so upset with us and waited for an opportunity to join Undergrad. When he found a place to live away from us, his relationship with us was seriously hampered. Both my wife and I did a lot to make up our relationship with him and it took almost the entire undergrad for him to understand us and build the relationship back again with us. Guess, which undergrad program he joined? Engineering. We left him to choose his Major and change it as often he liked. Because of this strained relationship, his performance in undergrad was not all that great.

He came back to our home town to do his Masters and stayed with us for two whole years and that changed our relationship dramatically. His performance reached great heights and when he joined a Ph.D. program on a full scholarship in the University of Florida, we noticed that he is a young man with great talent.

He has one registered patent and two applied patents on the side besides his Ph.D. program in Computational Fluid Dynamics. His 7-8 papers were published in international journals so far. His ambition is to work for a National Lab and he is expected to complete his dissertation in July 2018.

The lessons I learned:

1) Believe in yourself and your child
    2) Understand his needs through body language and verbal
    3) Encourage him with words of appreciation always
    4) Discuss how your child can determine his own future
    5) Emphasize the importance of character more than education

In your situation, believe yourself and your daughter. Keep telling your daughter that you love her dearly and accept her for who she is. Understand the fact that there is a lot of struggle behind every successful children. She is going to turn around so well and all that was happening would become a thing of the past. God bless you and your daughter.

Viswa

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    SCA, sindmani, mangaii and 5 others like this.