1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where Did I Go Wrong With My Parenting ?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by mangaii, Feb 9, 2018.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I would like to get suggestion on where did I go wrong with my parenting.
    I have a very bright 12 year old girl. When she started school she was outstanding in everything she did. She set her standards so high . I was always amazed with her intelligence. She stood first in anything she participated . I was very involved mom in her life. I always praised her to sky high when she had all this accomplishments. I got carried away by all the praise I got from other parents on how talented she was. Last couple of years 2 things happened- I had a second kid and then followed by a loss of my parent. This took a toll on me and I didn't much attention to her as I used to be. When I saw last year school report I realized she has been not telling truth about her grades since she got B in 3 of her subjects. She spends lot of time in laptop to do online classes. I never monitored her online access since I felt she was responsible. Now that was all wrong since she was playing games/watching tv and she always had a screen where she would pretend to study . Sometimes she would stay home by herself when I have to pickup/drop off my little one and later found wrappers of food packages in garage. All in all my sweet child has been falling behind grades/ eating mindlessly and gaining weight and wasting all her time watching tv. She never made it to any competition finals and I got a call from teacher asking why she is not doing so well in school this year. The truth is I never knew she didn't make it. She just presents the good side of her to me. I recently found out she has been forging my signature in some of her tests where she failed. I looked at myself to see where I went wrong. One thing I found is when she came with not so good news I reacted badly. I used to remind her again and again on how she failed to accomplish something which she used to do it so easily before. This made me realize she wants to see me happy. So I kind of apologized to her and said will accept her as a average student and ready to help her. She refuses any help from me.Part of me feels I failed as a parents because I gave her more freedom at a young age and too much praise than other parents and allowed her to make own decisions . I also felt she overworked herself when she was young and she is burnt out. So I took it easy on her last couple of months. But lying /eating during my absence/ watching TV nothing has stopped. I'm looking for suggestions on how to correct myself so I can be a better mom than this angry person all the time.
    She gets enough physical activity during the week. She has moved to different middle school. Her friends are ok . Her only justification is all my friends so much junk and get to watch tv all the time so I would also like to do it. I have pretty much dropped all the classes we did outside school so I can get quality time with her. Other than that I'm clueless on how to get back her on track with respect to integrity. I'm fine even if she lags behind her studies since I know in my heart I cannot force her anymore to do well. But only thing that is bothering me is her character.
    Thanks,
    Mangaii

SCA and Rihana like this.

2. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Seems like teenage hormones.

You are doing best you can.

It's just teenage hormones

Other ladies who have been in your shoes can better advise.

Also, check this forum, Parenting Stack Exchange

By the way you have a beautiful profile photo.

mangaii likes this.
  3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Forget about the past mistakes n the neglect on her due to the other changes in life. It will only hold you back. But just take pointers of the mistakes n lessons learnt from it.

Focus on the now instead.

She's entering her teen, so accept that they are going to come with new set of challenges.

Three problems:
    Falling behind n covering up
    Eating mindlessly n gaining weight
    Watching tv n wasting time

- Spend a lot of time with her, that includes your younger kid n father too if possible.

- Instead of telling her that it's ok to lag behind, tell her that you believe in her.
    - Show her videos about teenagers going off the path n having sad ending n also how they changed path n won.

- Explain to her about her physical n mental changes due to her teens, tell her that's it's normal to feel confused n lost, n that she has you n her family to support n guide her through this.
    - Ask her to come to you with any peer pressure she's feeling regarding her physically n mentally.

- If food is comforting her, see if you can cook some healthy alternatives along with her n keep in boxes for her to have everyday. Wrap it nicely too. Slowly start controlling the quantity.
    - Show her videos of obese teenagers, n the pressure they face health wise n socially, physically n mentally.
    - Also about food adulterations.

- TV - agree on particular programs n timing. Say you are ok with her watching, but explain to her about control n why tv is called as an idiot box.
    - Divert her timing productively to something she enjoys.
    - Do projects together, when you have less time to waste, the tv time will reduce too.

For you:
    Understand she's going through a lot of change, both by her body, n emotionally. It can be a confusing time without proper support system. So just make her feel that she can come to you with anything, even she liking a guy or a gal commenting about her body. Ask her to explain to you about why she takes comfort in food n tv. N following a herd is not the right mentality.

My mother was never able to understand me when I was a teenager. I needed extra love, care, attention n she had no clue how to handle a teenager n saw as the difficult child. N the lack of all that only made me feel worse or challenge her more. Many times, my own mother has felt like a stranger to me. I wish she spoke to me to understand about me, or showed she really wanted to help. Your daughter is lucky to have a mother who's atleast realising that there's a problem n reaching out to find ways to fix it.

So communicate for everything, it maybe hard to break through in the beginning, but eventually it may help.

wings2010, sindmani, toolikas and 7 others like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You didn't. It's the age. Middle school with a DD was a revelation for me too.

I have a similar child and do the same things you do. I always make sure I praise her and all her achievements.
    Btw, 12 is the age where she attained menarche and it was a hard year. I'm assuming those things are going on with your DD too.
    With a preemie who was later diagnosed with special needs, I've let my DD to her own devices since the begining of middle school too. I later felt she also needs some attention from me. Before my son I used to do a lot of fun things with her. I found ways to spend time with her one on one - shopping, nails, hair, coffee shop, movies - anything not connected to school or studies.

That isn't so bad. B's are not failing grades and she is probably having hormonal changes. She also seems to be in a new school. It takes time to settle in. You should expect a drop in grades the first year of high school too. It will slowly pick up, don't be too anxious. Pay attention to her finishing her home work and making sure she knows what is going on in school. Encourage her to attend tutoring by her teachers and clarify her doubts. I don't think this is all that critical.

Do you have a parental control? Does she have social media access? You should monitor her online activities. Kids don;t have a sense of danger yet and social media predators are real. I still ask my DD to login to her social media accounts and we pick other people's posts and laugh about it. We joke about other kids pics. I comment on every boy friend and girl friend and make it seem like a fun thing. She tells me stuff and honestly some things make me cringe but I keep the communication channels open. Kya kare, karna padta hai. Look like a friend but be a mom at the same time. Sometimes, I show her my social media and the random stuff I do and she comments on it. She's older though so you need to figure out how to do this in a friendly manner. Eventually, they all get social media accounts, have more than one account on most social media sites and if we teach them at a very young age to be careful, its best.
    Don't buy too much junk. Buy enough for a week and when its over, its getting replenished only on Sunday! I stopped buying from costco and buy stuff only from whole foods or other stores where package sizes are small. I keep a variety of healthy snacks - fruits and berries of all kinds , nuts etc handy at all times. I've noticed if I serve fruits, my kids will eat it. I keep some on the dining table - cut and prepped and they eat that instead of hunting for the junk in the fridge.

Teachers teachers... I've got similar calls too, in MS. I realize sometimes the teachers are over zealous and want to have high performers perform their best all the time. I would give her a break, if I were you and not ask about competition finals. She can always pick up competitions next year or later. Maybe the academic load is increasing and she isn't able to do all the comps she did. She will slowly find a way to strike a balance and do one or two things she really wants to do.

I think you did really well. You could probably follow up with actions and look at her grades online periodically, tell her you checked her grade and it's totally fine she didn't do all that well in math. Btw, is there anything I can help with? No? OK - Go to tutorials or let me help you find a tutor. She's probably still worried about your reaction but in time she will get it and come to you for the tutor or doubt etc.
    I always tell my DD that regardless of how she goofs up she needs to tell me. I need to hear it from her. She may have repercussions based on what the transgression is but if I find out from XYZ aunty, the price to pay will be dire. She does tell me first before I find out otherwise and I do let it go for grades etc.
    Btw, my DD started taking failures very badly. So much so that she won't do a thing she isn't good at if she won't get a prize. To alleviate that, we started helping her accept failures - tests/competitions etc. We do celebrate her hard work and pay attention to how well she took the failure. She is still a mess with stress but I hope by the time she is in college, she will be able to handle failures easily. I also don't associate material rewards with accomplishing something in school. I buy her things but not because she came first. I buy her things because she's a great sister, helps me around the house, won't trouble me for attention etc etc. I make it a point to mention it. Sometimes I reward a very good try and tell her how proud of her I am for her attempt even if she didn't place/rank/proceed etc.

Kids need some freedom. They have to make age appropriate decisions, learn the consequences and learn to move forward. I regret so many things my DD has done academically and feel like she would have done so much better had I insisted on my way but I think she's better equipped to handle situations because she has made some decisions herself. I don't think you failed. I praise often and tell her often how good she is. I think kids need to hear it. My mom never bothered to tell me that growing up and I wish I had heard that more often. Kids get some self confidence from us placing our trust and confidence in them.

Lying - telling you she made an A or omitting to tell you she got a B? Omitting is fear and you can figure out easily by looking at the gradebook online. I also suggest writing a bi-monthly email to the teacher to check on how things are at school.
    TV - I don't fret too much about it. Mine is too busy to watch any TV now so whatever she did in MS is what she did. I would insist on finishing up all HW prior to watching TV and enforce a strict bed time. Kids need sleep and they are sleep deprived in this day of electronic interference. Make it about their health. Food can easily be controlled by what is available at home.
    You don't have to correct yourself. We are all angry moms. You are a great mom from what you have written so far. Don't get worked up.

my DD came home and told me last year that ABC got taken out of dance and music because she didn't do well in math. I asked the Mom. She said these exact same words. ABC didn't care about it, she felt she was being punished by her most fav activities being cut. If you are taking away classes make sure it is not something she enjoys doing. She can help you with those decisions. Ask her what she wants to do with her free time other than TV and internet. She may have an activity or two she likes to do. Try to get her to those things. Middle school is the time to find something to do outside of academics. Once in HS, there is no room to experiment. It's pressure from day 1. Let her have some fall back activities now so she has those things to blow some steam off in HS.

Monitor her grades but don't confront her. Ask her and slowly help her answer you and give you the truth. Don't make it a big deal though. I think you are doing the right thing. Give her time, she should open up.
    I think in time the grades will pick up too. I've BTDT for a year of MS and she went back to where she was.
    I wouldn't use terms like regular, lagging behind etc with her if I were you. She already thinks she is disappointing you so that will be a major factor in not telling you how she is doing. Keep telling her you are confident in her abilities. She will get back there in no time.

Mangaii - It takes a lot for a mom to come and ask these things. You are such a good mom. Don't ever tell yourself otherwise. I couldn't have come here and asked this. The fact that you do shows how good a mom you are. This too shall pass. Hugs.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    SCA, sindmani, Shanvy and 12 others like this.
  5. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Parenting is a tough journey – kids are complicated and to boot they don’t come with a manual. So don’t beat yourself up about it.

Having kids who are very bright is very challenging. I have a daughter too who is a perfectionist ( OCD ish) and my worry is her ability to handle failure. Teenage issues for smart girls starts at 10-11. So

Bright kids face such little failures, and are constantly accomplishing stuff and can get addicted to praise and the sense of accomplishment. They start evaluating themselves by the high bar that is set for them , and it is hard for them to accept anything below it. And think not trying is better than trying and failing to excel.

You might have already read about the Growth mindset. ( here is the ted talk)

It helped me change my behavior and look at the big picture.. And I also realized that suppressed disappointment /anger will need to be dealt with first only then I can really reach out.

Good that you have been giving her time . Her buy in is the most important. Talk with her and see if there are things she wants to change. Try focusing on one or two thing – I would start with food, not academic, not really affecting self-esteem so she won’t feel evaluated. Some ground rules that both can decide on and stick to those. And limit availability.

And the second thing would be honest communication , here you will really have to work on your emotions when she decides to give you not so good news and she seems least bothered. That attitude often pisses off moms, if you are one such mom, work on how to react . I felt some of my daughter's I-dont-care-attitude was to mask her fear.

Hang in there, things will get better.

sindmani, Shanvy, kaniths and 4 others like this.
  6. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@ChennaiExpress you are such a nice human being. Thanks for your input. I understand it is hormonal .
    @ashneys Thanks a lot for your input. I'm exactly worried about what you said. Becoming a stranger to her. I just feel I gave her too much freedom now taking it back is difficult for me and her. I'm going to try some of the things you suggested. It is like you have a perfect dance with your partner and suddenly you don't know why everything is going crazy. I do think somewhere she misses that undivided attention she got before.

@Laks09 bless your heart. I would have given a tight hug if you were in person. Seriously it is like I keep asking for suggestion to my family and everyone always point finger towards to me. But how you understood me perfectly. I would have read your post million times. It is just this middle school last few months have been nothing but challenge. Everything you said is 200% correct. She needs more attention. I associated her intelligence with her emotional need but the truth is she still wants me to play with her, hug her and all this time I never realized it. One thing I have been doing with her is being open about talking about boy friends. She has tons of friends of both gender. I don't have any SM account . I'm convinced she doesn't have one. But what you said totally resonated with me.Handling failure is her problem. But she has been very supportive of me helping with my second one . She cannot stand anyone telling any complaints about me. I just see my dad in all the time. The reason I quit some of her activities is lack of time. She is busy over the weekend it is nothing but a nightmare driving around. This winter she signed up for one more activity when I told her many times it is difficult to manage time. She under estimates the time involved and over estimates her capability. Then when she cannot achieve what she wants she gets frustrated and gives up. I'm taking up notes and going to implement some of the things. I want her to know that irrespective of whatever happens I will always be there for her. This weekend I threw away all the junk snacks from costco. I have decided not to buy any more whole sale junk food snacks.

@SunPa Thanks for the kind words. I have attended sessions about growth mindset. It is so hard to practically implement it since it takes time for us to see the results. But you do have a great point. I'm going to put some notes on my wall to remind myself on how I should behave. It is more like I need a behavioral management class.

I want to thank each one of you who took time to read my unintended post and provide me suggestions. I hope we cross this bridge without too much damage. It is a little reminder that she is still a child. It was easier on me when she took all the responsibility and made her own choices. Now I realize my responsibilities. I hope I'm there for her when she needs me .

Shanvy, yellowmango and Laks09 like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @mangaii,

You have of course received some valuable inputs. Don't beat your self up. You are doing everything you can - life happens and we all slip sometimes. Continue doing what you are doing and she will get out of this phase. That said, I do have a suggestion.

I have seen some of my very close friends' teenage daughters go through different phases during both middle and high school years. What worked well for these kids was - we are a small group of friends and when there was difference of opinion with parents and things seemed to get out of control, it helped them that one adult in the group was always there to listen to their view point and talk them through it. If you have a friend who can stand by with out getting too gossipy (sorry!) and is genuinely interested in helping out, may be you can take her help. I know it may not sound like something that can work, but it has worked in our group......and I wanted to err on the side of putting it out there to you than not. Sometimes kids do share with others more than their own parents.

Best wishes.

sindmani, Shanvy, guesshoo and 6 others like this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Isn't it always the case? Moms are the ones everyone points to when something isn't going right with the kids! I don't even think our moms truly get what it's like to work full time, have babies, tend to everything at home with not much help in a different country.
    On a similar note, I keep telling myself, I have no idea about the intricacies of school life in this country and try to learn on the go. Glad for this forum, some of us can relate to what other moms are currently facing.

So sweet! Mine is a great big sis too and my biggest advocate after her Dad.

I completely understand with getting overworked. Kids sometimes get carried away by peer pressure of the glitz of that one activity that they don't realize how hard it can get. After multiple such fiascoes, we had a system in place. She had to complete the activity, regardless of how much she didn't want to after enrolling and completing a few weeks. She had the first two weeks to decide if she liked it or not. We also made sure we didn't stretch ourselves too thin when it came to activities. I did what I could and if I couldn't, no matter how good the activity, I didn't sign her up. As a result, she reduced her adventures and stuck to two activities that she really liked. I pulled her out of things I started for my own satisfaction. Once they are in HS, there isn't much time for activities outside of school anyway. They just need a thing or two to relax and unwind.

Sounds like a plan! Good luck!

Shanvy and mangaii like this.
  9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Very useful and beneficial discussion in the forum ,especially for mothers with adolescent children.In those days, there were not any diversions like TV, mobile,internet etc.The responsibility of mothers is multifold.As I go through the original mail and responses I feel like going through an experimental Psychology text.Hats off to all mothers who are really responsible and do their might.
    Wonderful practical suggestions from Laks 09 and many others.
    Jayasala42

sindmani and mangaii like this.
  10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful reply Madam,
    I am proud of mothers like you who weigh every situation.Fortunately oldies like me in late seventies didn't face any problem in bringing up our adolescent kids.
    Now my grand daughter/grandson are in their teens and my daughter/DIL are keeping themselves ready with so much remedial measures already .I am getting valuable in puts from IL, and I pass on to them.

jayasala42

sindmani likes this.