Where are Delhi Sparrows!

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by sushmasrivastav, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

Hi Sushma
    I came across your post. I was quite intrigued by your thread. Even I miss sparrows. Similiar initiatives have taken place in other parts of India too. Some one has already contributed on the initiative of the BNHS, (Bombay Natural History Society). I was recently in Hyderabad. I learnt that a similar programme has already been launched by the Nature Forever Society for several years now.
    At the ground level, the common man can help by setting up bird boxes and using manure in their gardens.

1 person likes this.
  2. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I was impressed by this thread. I have decided to instal a bird house so that small birds are able to nest happily. House sparrows formed a part of my growing up years. The decline in population is not confined to urban India alone.
    In fact the article Let's coax the chirrup back by Shivani Singh in the Hindustan Times dt 20 Aug 2012, has this to say about house sparrows in UK :
    According to Britain's Royal Society for Protection of Birds (RSPB) the UK lost around 60% of house sparrows since the mid 1970s due to loss of ood and nesting sites. The decline has been acute.... in London, Bristol, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

I am hoping other ILItes would too join in and give sparrows another chance.

1 person likes this.
  3. Isabel66

Isabel66 Junior IL'ite

Hi
    I too would like to contribute to this thread. The Govt of NCT of Delhi has issued an official notification to make the Sparrow the state bird of Delhi. The Chief Minister had already declared the house sparrow the official bird of Delhi on Aug 15th this year.
    Bird lovers will also be interested in another website I have recently come across. You can visit www.cbmi.in and learn how to monitor and observe 18 common species of birds. Apart from sparrows, other birds listed on the site are house crow, kingfisher, rose ringed parakeet, myna, robin and the hoopoe.

1 person likes this.
  4. JoyshreeGupta

JoyshreeGupta Senior IL'ite

Hi Isabel
    I have been following this thread. It is good that the national capital is taking steps to encourage the population growth of sparrows. Even Mumbai has joined in. Sparrow conservation is now a nationwide phenomenon.

There are many reasons for the disappearance of sparrows. One is of course the lack of green spaces. Green spaces invariably have small insects which are eaten up the sparrows. In cities like Delhi there is concretisation everywhere and green spaces are few and far between. The radiation emitted by cellphone towers are another big reason. This radiation makes them lose their way. Methyl nitrate found in vehicular emission is also responsible for the extinction of sparrows.