1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When Your Age Crosses Days In Calendar

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Feb 15, 2017.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

‘Happy birthday….’ I wished my boss on her birthday.

‘I’m sad …my age is out of calendar…’ She said with apparent sadness in her voice.

‘So what?? Don’t tell me you didn’t expect it…’

‘Hmmm…You will understand this feeling only when you reach this stage.’ She gave me a knowing look.

Though this happened years before, this incident was fresh in my mind.

To those who say age is just a number…speaking of which your salary, height, weight, grade everything is a number. What matters is the value associated with the number…

Having seen my age out of calendar these are the apparent things I found worrying about the age.

You tend to think a lot about Stability:

A considerable majority of people settle down at this stage. You tend to settle down in a job, get married, buy a house, be prudent with finance etc etc.

Though stability is good don’t go overboard about it: What is the point of staying in job if you don’t like it? What’s the point of getting married if you are unsure about it? Chuck out peer pressure in these aspects. Do what you will do if there is no hurry..no deadline. After all you just have one life..live it your way.

You tend to think a lot about Younger generation:

News paper headline of 12 year school student is pregnant drifts your thought elsewhere because at that age most probably you wouldn’t have even done a high-five with opposite generation.

You worry about what your kids are exposed to? How should you handle them when they cross the age? Though this is the natural question most likely you cannot do much about it. You cannot cover your kids in bubble wrap they need to be exposed to the world.

Work on building trust with them. Spend time with them, talk about you day so in turn they talk about theirs. Listen about their little things, so that they trust you with big things one day…

You tend to think a lot about Older Generation:

Nothing alarms us more than four calls which are unanswered by your parents!! You tend to think whether they are sick, fell down in washroom, whether they were victims of daylight robbery.

Especially this is the age when your parents cross sixty and every sign of their ageing say more grey hairs, knee problems, blurred vision sends shivers down your spines.

Accept that your parents are ageing and just like everyone else they have to leave the world too. With so much of medical improvements most of the age related problems have a solution. Keep track of their medical histories, take them for checks regularly and relax.

Try to give them the experiences they missed in childhood: A foreign trip, A drawing class..let them channelize their energy in rich experiences.

You tend to think a lot about appearance:

The moment you enter a shop, you will be surrounded with shop assistants who claim that their product reduces skin wrinkles and make you look younger.

Yes but understand the fact that your skin ages, body ages and though you can delay it will definitely be visible to everyone. If any one points your grey hair, look them up confidently and say ‘Yes Grey hair…so what?’. It’s completely up to you to hide your grey hairs , skin wrinkles and saggy stomach but love your body and carry it with confidence.

Here are few things positives about that age:

People think you are wise: I too thought the same about myself else why this article

There’s still to time to be anyone you want: Yes yes and yes. You still have long innings left

Live, Laugh, Love: Remember whatever it is celebrate life. Spend time with both Younger and older generation. Live, Laugh, love and spread happiness...

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Good one dear. I also follow the last line, so I am always happy
    Live, Laugh, Love: Remember whatever it is celebrate life. Spend time with both Younger and older generation. Live, Laugh, love and spread happiness...

3. blackbeauty84

Thank you Viji mam..Having read your various posts I know you live these lines...

iyerviji likes this.
  4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

That was truly a wise and well thought out post:) Yes , our thoughts keep changing with the advance in years. More than anything is the need to do what one likes and enjoys and wish for such positive circumstances. There is no point in worrying about the rising figures of age!

5. blackbeauty84

Thank you Joylokhi. Felt great reading your feedback

joylokhi likes this.
  6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear BB,
    I am an octogenarian and I only look at the calendar to know the star and thithi etc to perform archana to the Lord. Even though I never think about my age, when someone younger to me in my family or in friend circle passes away I feel sad and think why God could not take to His lotus feet people who have completed their duties and fulfilled their commitments. Of course we all know that as we enter the world our departure day also is written along with that.
    Though I feel like that I am still continuing my daily routine as I was a septuagenarian to keep myself fit and engaged.
    Refer: Scribblings of a septuagenarian- Daily routine to keep fit
    PS

joylokhi and Madhumagie like this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful post.We need not specifically think about age.The physical ailments, the maturity or not, with which we carry on things all remind us of our age every minute.
    Now a days lot of articles are written on'ageing gracefully'by doctors specially geriatricians.
    One thing I find common in youngsters these days is they often talk about the transcient nature of the world ,early death and very often and start losing interest in life.Is it vivekam ( maturity) or virakthi( depression)?-I don't know.But definitely not
    an appreciable trend.

Jayasala 42

iyerviji, joylokhi and KashmirFlower like this.
  8. blackbeauty84

Wow..Very impressive post mam loved your routine.

9. blackbeauty84

Sadly I too observed this tend in youngsters. I'm not sure whether it has something to do with giving up early...

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@blackbeauty84,

I never feel bad about getting older because we have a longer look back period to learn our lessons and this age gives me an opportunity to learn what my parents and other elders went through at this age. You have wonderfully articulated everything is transient including the appearance. Living with a little physical pain gives a stronger resolve to face life. Most importantly, the new generation leads totally different life than ours and there is so much to learn from them. The major benefit of old age is our ability to learn more from people younger than us. We understand the value of companionship better. We understand better when to help and when to stay away. We slow down a lot to cherish the value of life. When we climb the ladder of age, we see the aerial view of the life we came past and all our strengths and weaknesses are clearly visible. We begin to understand the value of every second we spend with our spouse, children, grandchildren and friends and extended family. We begin to appreciate smaller things in life.

Viswa