1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

When You Planned To Buy A House In Usa..?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by deepthivinayak1, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Halosandwings

Halosandwings Bronze IL'ite

1. I bought a house last year. We have been looking for a house since our LO was born and my husband and I started to live together. Took us 9 months to find the house. LOL.. we were not in a hurry!!

2. 9 years.. May be I would have bought a house earlier if we both are living together.

3. I feel our little one is the main reason we bought a house. I wanted him to have space to play and his room etc.

4. I have bought a house in India and my in laws looked for the house etc. and they live in that house. I was not really involved other than financing the purchase. I took a loan and the bank made enquirers at work place etc through email. I did not have that with US lender.

5. I look forward to moving out of this place, may be to another place in US. I am not really fond of this location but the main reason we came here is for our jobs.

6. a little more than a year.

7. I am on H1B and sometimes I wonder if I will get GC through my son based on the family quota.. Ha.. ha.. I am not going to pause my life for green card. The house I bought is not a brand new house, small and in a safe area. It might not be what many people look for but I am happy. It meets my needs and not expensive.

Vaikuntha and SinghManisha like this.
  2. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

1.When did you planned to overcome this and buy a house ?
    GB: I and my wife overcame this in third year of our marriage (I was in EB1 category, so we knew that we will get our GCs soon)
    2.After how many years staying in USA ,did u bought a house?
    GB: After 7 years of staying in USA. First few years were as doctorate students
    3.What makes you to buy a house than staying rental?
    GB: I like to plant trees and taking care of them. That inspired to have a backyard of my own. Wife likes big kitchen and only in our home, she could realize her dream of big kitchen
    4.What difference you feel buying a house in USA from buying a house back in India?
    GB: Our family didn't own house in India (due to our poor economic background). Plus I and wife came to US when we were 22, so could not buy in India.
    5.Will you move back to India even if bought a house in USA?
    GB: I would not say never but moving to India has not been in my immediate plan once my mother passed away ( I had lost my father when I was five)
    6.how longs it’s been in ur own house?
    GB: Around 10 years
    7.did you bought the house when you got GC or before that?
    GB: Around an year before GC

My Apologies, I could not use multiquote to make my post more readable

Sunshine04 likes this.
  3. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Hi OP, you will find my answers in bold.

4. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Bought a house after GC. Rental or owned house , did not matter to me. For me all the apts/ houses I lived were “ HOME”. Do what you think is best and works for you.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  5. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

The prices have appreciated and the people who bought the house 5 year ago, really made it.
    Now, with so much uncertainty around immigration, it may not be the best time to buy. Wait at least 2020 election. This is my view, because why go through an added stress.

6. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

True,but for one or other reason we postponed buying a house every year. Till we get GC we can’t b sure but we bought house as have I140. We hope no problem arise. 10 years we lived here in rental house . We decided let kids stay in own house. We grew up in our own house , I was worried my kids couldn’t but now my dream came true. I am bored of keeping my kids be silent always,don’t run else downstairs neighbors will complain. Let them grew peacefully as kid without any restrictions. This is my opinion.

QUOTE="Topaz49, post: 4147271, member: 478995"]The prices have appreciated and the people who bought the house 5 year ago, really made it.
    Now, with so much uncertainty around immigration, it may not be the best time to buy. Wait at least 2020 election. This is my view, because why go through an added stress.[/QUOTE]

7. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

I wish you well. Perhaps, I am more cautious as I have seen the ups/downs in this country since 1974. My other thought was that we might go into recession, (it is inevitable sooner than later) and is the best time to buy.
    we bought our house within 2 years and didn't have much money either against well wishers advice. We bought it because it was a recession, we got a good price and it worked out for us. I have seen many of my friends, defaulting on the house and filing bankruptcy because the value of the house fell below their purchase price. They bought at the height of the market.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    SinghManisha likes this.
  8. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Thanks everyone. I am expecting more replies so that it will b helpful for future home buyer.