1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When the Swan sings..

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When the Swan sings...

Yesterday my daughter had gone to attend the funeral of her colleague’s dad. After she left, I took the Hindu and,as is my wont, went to the Obituary column straightaway. There I found the picture of this person who my daughter had gone to bid farewell to. I was at once struck by the fact that he was born in the same year as I. When my daughter came back home for her usual purifying bath, I mentioned this to her. She immediately retorted, ‘Dad, all those who were born in that year are not going to die one after another!’ She was, of course, missing my point. Lot of people miss my point these days. Maybe I am not making any point in my ramblings!

I am always fascinated by the phrase ‘Swan Song’. It is coined out of the belief that swans sing a mellifluous song when it is time for them to die. Otherwise they are known for silence or their guttural noise which is not quite pleasing to the ears. There is some profundity about the swan song. No matter what they do all their life time, they leave us imparting some exquisite melody to remember them by. Is there no message for us there? When a man reaches the evening of his life, he needs to engage in such pursuits that may give him a divine aura by which people will remember him by. It is not only the first impression that is best but the very last impression is equally important too. I would even say the parting impression is a lot more important. This is where it leads us to the question of immortality.

There was a time in the Vedic period when it was thought that it was possible for mortals to go to the world of death in their own bodies. There is a verse in Satapatha Brahmana, a branch of Yajur Veda, which says:
    “Death then spoke to the gods. ‘If this is so, then surely all men will become immortal. What will then be my fate?’ The gods said: ‘From now on, no one will become immortal with the body. After you have taken the body as your portion, then only shall, whosoever is going to be immortal, either by wisdom or deeds, become immortal, that is, only after laying down his body”
    For humanity, therefore, immortality is reached only after death; death becomes the gateway to immortality. Now that we know that immortality is not physical deathlessness, the route to immortality can be only through our deeds. This is where the swan song or the end stage assumes a lot of importance. The ‘Vanaprastha’ of yore was mainly intended to take the man away from his materialistic ambitions to the spiritualistic. We have any number of examples where a whole life spent in vain pursuits not standing in the way of granting the man immortality on the basis of the last period of his life. The lives of Arunagirinathar and Valmiki are great examples of this eternal truth.

Many people ask me if it is merely because I am in the evening of my life that I talk of death so often. Many consider it as a morbid subject that is best avoided. I do not contemplate on death to overcome the fear of it but to remind myself that I have miles to go before I sleep. I take this as an opportunity to remind myself that now is the time to undo the effects of all my past mistakes so that I’ll be remembered as a good man. James Farrel, in his book ‘Inventing the American Way of Death’ says aptly:
    “Keeping death out of mind cuts people off from an important fact of their physical, mental and spiritual existence. If knowing that we will die is a part of what makes us human, then, forgetting that we will die threatens our very humanity. In the same way, the denial of death in American society also cuts people off from the one common humanity, keeping them at such a distance from the deaths of others that they cannot grieve or mourn except in the culturally prescribed way. A wise man is one who knows all about death, including his own. Death never takes a wise man by surprise. He is always ready to go. We have known this from the history of so many great spiritual masters”
    The Zen Masters saw life and death as an unbroken continuum of the swinging of the eternal pendulum. Many of them met their inevitable hour with a smile, even laughter, often choosing to die in the lotus meditative posture.

I dedicate this thread to the memory of Viswa’s father in law and kkrish’s father who both passed away recently.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear sir,

let me be the first person to take a stab at this very difficult subject. Recently I happened, yes happened to listen to the last few minutes of an interview on radio and this is what I heard "On death: The older I get, the more I think about it because the closer it comes. I'm very interested in the actual act of dying, which is the last great human action that we have in our lives. It's the one event in our lives that no one can describe adequately because nobody comes back to talk about it ...My feeling is, death is the great mystery, and it's the final act in our lives, and it deserves, if anything ever does, the kind of treatment that a guy like me can give it — which is speculative and imaginative." The interview itself can be found here in this link Interview: Stephen King, Author Of 'Doctor Sleep' : NPR and honestly sir, I don't recall reading any of his books and thankfully so. I fall in to that category of people who fear the concept of fear than fear, by itself! That is another reason, I cringe as I watch TV in this month of October, I wait for Halloween to be over as quickly as it can!

Now, where was I? Oh yes I have to start at the beginning! The first thing that I recalled is a person I know who makes it a point to gently remind me when ever I meet her that why fear death when we can actually choose how we can pass on! I am still trying to understand that and no, she won't give up telling me that. And then when you speak of your age, I am reminded of Yudhishtira I think who said that the biggest mystery in the world is that every one just assumes that they are going to live on forever! I also remember reading some where that the concept of rebirth in a way gives us a sense of immortality. Yes, enough said and I do have to confess, it is an interesting way of looking at death at least for mortals who are not close to salvation!

Well, sir more than the topic of death, I am fascinated by the Swan theory you have shared. I could not help but wonder that a creature as lovely as a swan is the one which chooses to part in the same fashion, with a lovely swan song! Isn't it a swan that can also separate water from milk, telling us that we should use that power of discrimination? And yet this same swan is also given a gutteral noise or silence as it's mode of communication. It is fascinating to think that even such a perfect creature has that one little draw back and it gladdens me for the swan song only proves that there is always room for improvement when we are blessed with so many of those abilities to make mistakes! It only signifies the fact that despite what we are, we can be something else like you have rightly pointed out but why only in the evening of our lives sir? Don't we all get an evening everyday, giving us a chance to sing that swan song? So let me just say, thank you for that reminder.

Dear Kamala and Viswa sir, please accept my heart felt condolences.

7 people like this.
  3. BharadwajThiru

BharadwajThiru Silver IL'ite

Dear Sir,
    Yet another beautiful piece by you.

You have already attained the above by your numerous thought provoking threads and posts. I am just amazed at how beautifully you integrate quotes into your posts. Quoting from the Vedas to Robert Frost, so seamlessly done!

:bowdown

I strongly believe that just as Lord Krishna adjusted to the "yuga" he was born in (different from Rama), we too need to adjust to the Kali Yuga in following the 4 stages of life - Brahmacharanam, Grihastha, Vanaprastha and Sanyasi. Perhaps we don't have to go literally live in the forests (for there aren't many left) but find the forests in our homes. It is really the style of living rather than "place" of living.

Several years ago, I attended a Franklin Planner class for time management. At the class, they had mentioned two things that struck out to me. They said that written goals are always achieved and we were all encouraged to create our personal mission statement. On the latter, they recommended thinking of all the people we love and interact with on a daily basis. Then assume that we were going to die today. What would we have these dear ones say about us in their eulogy? This should be done when you aren't under any stress and perhaps over time to avoid any biases. I took this seriously and 15 years ago I created my own personal mission statement that has held good all these years.

This has helped me make major decisions in life calmly and correctly even under tremendous stress. I share this not with a purpose of "one upping", but with the sincere hope that it will motivate others to derive the same value I have derived from this exercise.

This has opened up a life where I never have to fear death but live it in a way that I have no regrets on any day. The only reason I didn't share my personal mission statement is because it is different for each one of us and we need to create one for ourselves. This is not something we can adopt :)

Thank you for a lovely post. God bless you always.

Dear Kamala & Viswa - It is hard always to accept death, for that means that there is one less person in the mortal world that loves you so dearly. I do offer my deepest condolences in the hope that this has also allowed you to gain the love of a lot more people.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    7 people like this.
  4. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

Yet another wonderful post from Cheeniya sir! I know I'm young(28) to post my feedback. I still want to tell this incident. I've seen my grandfather's death right in front of my eyes. He was not well for a brief period. He was always scared of death. But three days before his passing, he started shouting/screaming/howling (not able to find the exact word) continuously. We all got scared, called the doctor and the he advised us to keep him at home as there is no point to bring thatha to the hospital. Doctor told us that he might get well or he might pass away. So here I can relate that thatha was singing the swan song.

After 3 days of continuous howling, there was no sound from him. We thought he got tired and slept off. Amma used to feed him in between with water worrying that his throat would get dried. Similarly amma was happy that his sound had gone and things are getting back to normal. Amma went to feed him with a glass of water, thats when we realized that he passed away.

I was 16 when this happened. This created a big impact. I was wondering where/how/when did the spirit escape from the body. So at the end life is it this much only. No matter what you earn, we are all rested in the same grave yard, treated the same way. Before death we are given respect, no matter you are a politician, model or a beggar when there is no life we are referred as body. When a death is informed, first question comes in tamil "potha eppo eduka poringa" (when is the body taken to burial ground)

Why or where are we heading towards? Wealth?Prosperity?Happiness? This led me to the spiritual side. On bigger picture everything is a passing phase. We have to identity ourselves, bring peace to oneself and provide happiness to people around us. As told by Shirdi Sai Baba in His Satcharitara, body is a tool, use and treat it safely. When you are dead, surrender it properly to God.

3 people like this.
  5. Cheeniya

My dear Srama
    I am amazed by the maturity of your response considering how young you are. There are two essential aspects I must point out about the interview that you have quoted. The first is the flawed premise that death has anything to do with age for Stephen to comment ‘The older I get, the more I think about it because the closer it comes’. The chronological aspect of death occurring was perhaps a significant feature of Ram Rajya. As Valmiki records (translated by Hari Prasad Shastri) in Yuddha Kanda, ‘No aged person ever attended the funeral of a younger relative’ But that situation changed even during the days of Mahabharatha.

Coming to the mystery of death itself, the Brahadaranyaka Upanishad calls the stage of dying as the ‘Process of Unity’. Strange this may seem but is easy to explain. In life, all the senses and the mind, intellect and ego are moving in different directions, producing knowledge that suits the ego’s temperamental bias. But in the process of dying, the movements of the senses are said to happen in a different way. Here, the activity is not involving ‘distributing’, ‘passing on’, or ‘transmitting’ but about ‘saving the tip of the heart’, the person taking into himself the sparks of light and concentrating them in the heart. The words used by the Upanishad are ‘becoming one’. Man at the hour of his death becomes ‘one’, that is, he ‘unifies life’. I am using the words in the English commentary on the Upanishad.

He discards what is accidental and not relevant. He condenses and concentrates his whole being, so that what finally leaves him is the very core of his being, the very essence of his person. For all the external appearances, the dying man gathers all his faculties and becomes more and more focused or united. As underlying reality, he is reaching the Unity, that gathers together all that he still has, his intelligence, his wisdom. I have always admired the Brahadaranyaka Upanishad for its profound insightfulness. Strangely, modern biology would say that at the time of death, man’s faculties are ‘dispersing’ and losing their structural integrity. Left to myself, I would place all my faith on the wisdom of Scriptures.

Sri

5 people like this.
  6. Cheeniya

My dear BT
    You are right about the need to adjust ourselves to the changing times. Unlike the first two yugas when the values remained almost unchanged, in the last two yugas the picture is different. In the present yuga, values seem to be changing every decade! Even Lord Krishna would have to strive hard to keep up with this rapidly changing scenario! Our value based system is a vastly changed one as compared to what our grandparents had to go through. We have now reached a stage when it is lawful for a man to marry another man in many countries.

When the IIM, Ahmedabad did the reorganization of SBI in the early ‘70s, its logo was changed from the Imperial Bank’s Banyan Tree to the present one. Besides the changing of the logo, a system of budgeting and performance monitoring was also introduced. It involved written goals being set from the macro to the micro level employee. I remember going through this exercise in the Bank when I read about your Franklin Planner sessions. Personally it is my view that writing down our goals is a better way of going after them than consigning them to an inoperative corner of our brain. Take this Sri Rama Jayam for example. Chanting it has an effect no doubt but only a light one. Start writing it and you will see the difference. In writing, our mind gets a lot more focused and triggers strong follow up action.

But that assumption of the possibility of our dying today is indeed interesting. I am all for it. Contemplation on how people will react to our death is a sure way for some effective soul searching. I do hope that your suggestion is taken up by our young members here.
    Sri

3 people like this.
  7. Cheeniya

Dear getstrength
    Thank you for sharing your experience. What has age got to do with sharing experiences? In fact, I have learned a lot from folks who are not even half my age! Knowledge flows from the one who has it to the one who lacks it and not on the basis of age.

I should say that the description of your grandpa’s last three days was quite graphic. Fear of death makes it difficult for the soul to leave the body. A lot of struggle ensues and that makes it pathetic both for the dying and the living witnesses. That makes it imperative for us to explore this subject so that we are able to comprehend the mystery in greater perspective. Ramana Maharshi was a picture of peace and composure after his cancer surgery. When asked about where he would go after death, he replied, ‘They say that I am dying, but I am not going away. Where could I go? I am here’. He was giving expression to his experience of a non-dual union with the supreme. Lyall Watson , the writer-mystic says: ‘In cultures where death is dealt with more openly and seen as a part of the living process, there is no fear of death’

We may look at it in another way. A person’s fear of death is closely related to his sense of individuality. The more one is conscious of oneself as an individual rather than as a member of a group, the greater is the fear of death. This takes us to the more philosophical view that the fear of death flowing from an intense sense of individuality is in fact grounded in the strong sense of ‘I’, an attachment to our ephemeral self and the feeling that death may bring about its dissolution.
    Sri

4 people like this.
  8. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

My condolensces to Viswa and Kkrish on losing their dear ones.

Dear cheeniya,
    Yet another pensive post about Death from you. Understandable. Every news about death of an aquaintence invariably churns ruminations about that ultimate mystery , leading to some serious reviewing of our lives , renewed resolutions , remodified goals......till the clock chimes in the new day with its old strifes and tested defenses. Death receeds , life goes on. I dont want to say, Smashana vairaghyam ,but sadly thats the pattern.
    The analogy of the swans song that you have used here is very evocative.

The fear of death and judgement day does influence our thoughts towards higher goals . Since time immemorial, people retired from the duties of a grahasta life, have gone on pilgrimages, pora Vazhikku punyam thedikka . If they did any meritorious deeds, it was as investment for a future beyond this death. If their name got immortalised , as a consequence ,it was bonus, not the anticipated maturity benefit . Only those who make a conscious effort to live like. " good human being " will, upon death, be remembered as a good human. Memories of exemplary behaviour often get buried in oblivion and sadly only the short comings are remembered,even in the case of mahatmas. The famous quote " the evil that men do lives after them , the good gets interred with the bones " says much about the human trait of selective memory. Not everyone is blessed to become become a Valmiki .

Rectifying a lifelong poverty of virtue at the fag end of the show is not an easy endeavour. Our personality is a creature of habit. People repent particular episodes and reform to that extent, but rarely do they undergo a total makeover . (There are some rare exceptions ofcourse, but I am keeping to the general.) Change cannot be enforced on well sedimented personality traits. Virtuous living, worthy of immortality, has to come from the cradle. Theres a story of God telling His wife that He will save a wicked man , who is about to fall off a tree, if he calls out His name or even Appa, that His Wife should save him if he called out Her Name or Amma, but the useless man just cries out Ayyo, thus plunging to death, because never in his life has he uttered Gods name or remembered to honour his parents , so his mind even in the throes of death , refuses to utter good ! Thats how most people end up !

Its not my argument that no effort should be made to learn that swans song. But I am all for forgetting immortality , punyam etc and just concentrate on making better humans of ourselves so that we make our lives useful and that of people around us happy , in this life, in this world, with the conviction only this matters. If we can achieve that, the fall of the final curtain is of no consequence.

4 people like this.
  9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri,

First let me pay my condolences to Viswamitra and Kamala for losing their dear ones. May the souls rest in peace.

Very serious topic. A lot of work for grey cells.

This FB I did not type directly on the keyboard. Wrote the thoughts that came to mind on a paper and trimmed them (otherwise too lengthy and nobody, including you would not read it). Then started typing.

When there is birth there is death also...beginning and end. But many learned people say that physical death is not the end of life and we are to continue in another life (need not be human form, any form). So, according to them death is not treated as a full stop, but only as a comma or a semicolon Life continues..... I would not go deep into scriptures because my knowledge in that field is very very limited.

Yes, in the evening of life one thinks of death often as the clock is ticking away. But the mysteriousness of death does not follow any rule or rhyme. It does not follow any method or sequence or chronology.I have seen some deaths, both young and old. Young who has many dreams, ambitions and miles to go just disappeared and old suffering and suffering waiting for death. Some went cheerfully well prepared, made the family secure, not much lamenting (especially terminally ill patients) We do not know when it strikes, whom it strikes. No one came back how it is there to tell. So, philosophers and learned ones interpret in their own way according to their imagination (I don't want to use this word against great people, but a better word does not strike me).

Now the swan Song and immortality......

Everybody who left is immortal in some near, dear ones' heart.Numbers may differ. To some many and to some few.In a corner of mind they are immortal. Numbers may differ. When to write the swan song is a big question. Humans do not know for sure when they are going to leave this world. The one they think swan song may not be so. Swans know about their end and they deliver the beautiful piece. So, human being should try to live life to their level best, no specific swan song. The last thing they do becomes their swan song. It comes to the surface of mind when we think of them. Living full life as we like and prepare for swan song does not work out for us..it works only for swans.

Thank you for a wonderful thread and for bringing out our thoughts which were lurking in our minds.

Syamala

4 people like this.
  10. BharadwajThiru

BharadwajThiru Silver IL'ite

There was a recent blog in the NY Times that asked this interesting question.

To read more click here.

1 person likes this.