1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When someone passes away suddenly

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, May 11, 2012.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

When you stay in flats you dont know what is happening in the next door unless we are very close. We are staying in this flat since two years giving rent as our own house is going to be reconstructed. We have two neighbours and when we meet we talk to each other and go for haldi kumkum.

Today when I opened the door when the sweeper came I saw many chappals outside the door. Two pairs were lying on the ma kolam which I had put today. Now a days to bend and put the kolam has become difficult for me.So once in a week I put ma kolam. I just took out those slippers and kept it aside. I saw many people in the neighbours house. I thought must be some function in their house and closed the door. After sometime I saw many slippers outside the steps also. Then later when my husband came from out was asking what happened. Then I saw many were standing out also. I went to the other neighbour's house and asked and then only came to know that the grandfather who was there expired.

Then both me and dh wen tto their house and came to know he was hospitalised a week back. Got heart attack on Friday and then lost his memory. Today at 7 a.m he expired. Was feeling sorry for the grandmother. Since there is not much space in their house during the day they stay there and in the night they go to their another son's house to sleep. Many times in the morning when we go to temple or somewhere else we meet both of them and I wish the grandfather and he also enquires how I am. He is 87 years old. Staying next door did not know that he was in hospital. If we were close to each other might have known. But felt very sad for that uncle as he had become close by meeting often. His wife looks like Mahalakshmi and has a smiling face.

Pray God that his soul should rest in peace and God should give courage to his wife.

2. 2bkind

2bkind Silver IL'ite

I too had a similar experience recently in my apartment, The person who expired has more than 95 years old and he had his wife had been together for nearly 75 years. Its heart breaking; though we know death is one sure thing in every human being , when it happens to someone we know, we are always unprepared.

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think this depends on the Community and the nature of the people. Only if your neighbor is open with you, you feel the need to be close. The flat in which I grew up in chennai was awesome. Love the community. In fact I miss being there.

4. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji aunty,
    It is heartening to read about that....My prayers for the departed soul.

5. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Its very difficult, yes. I understand. Some part of our life is affected a bit, knowing that someone whom we know, has passed away. Sorry about this and I too join in praying for both of them Viji Madam. -rgs

6. iyerviji

2bkind dear so you too had similar experience. 75 years being together and missing the better half is really sad. We can only pray to God for the soul to rest in peace

7. iyerviji

Ramya dear though we are not so close with the neighbours they are friendly only. We all meet during Ganpathi, Navratri or any other celebrations in the colony.

8. iyerviji

Thanks Bhargavi dear foryour fb

9. iyerviji

RGS dear thank for your prayers

10. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

"Staying next door did not know that he was in hospital. If we were close to each other might have known"---Yes, You are correct VijiMaa!That is city life.
    Its very sad that the elderly person passed away. May his soul rest in peace.
    May God bless her!.