1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When Should I Start Potty Training

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by shwetapj, Nov 13, 2017.

1. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

hi ladies

My baby is 13 months now and not yet walking. When should I start potty training and susu training to her? I met a couple of people and they tell me they have potty trained their babies when they were of 2 months old.

I do not have any guidance of any elders of course no one is bothered to ask though. And if I ask my friends they will boast to such an extent that they will give answers which are practically not possible ex. One friend told me his baby crawled when she was 6 months old on her own to do susu in the bathroom . What can I say?

I need real suggestions
    Please help I am a new mom

2. samhita2029

samhita2029 Senior IL'ite

Hi Shwetapj
    Potty training is really very important. Iam a mother of 2 kids.Younger one is 1.5yrs old. As soon as she feels to go to potty she gets her potty sitter. Here are few tips for potty training and susu which i feel like sharing with you. As soon as baby starts sitting u can the training. Before that observe her potty going timings. According to that u can make her sit on the potty sitter. Make her sit in morning everday whether she is willing or not. Later she"ll b used 2 that
    In starting days she may cry to sit. Similarly for susu also. U can observe the time interval between each time she goes approx. According to that make her stand in the washroom. Be patience. Takes time . Dont buy the potty sitter which is short. Because after some months as she grows older she may feel leg pain while sitting

Nonya and Ineedhelp1 like this.
  3. Indira28

Indira28 Senior IL'ite

Hi Shweta,
    Don't worry too much about this potty training. All Kids are not the same. Each pick up things at different phases..
    So just start working on it. Get a potty or a potty seat first.. Make kid sit on it first.. Let him get accustomed to it without fear. Slowing the kid will start to feel comfortable and they will get the feeling to tell when to pee and poop.
    With my son i never had any problem with pee.. He stopped peeing on the bed during the sleep at the age of 6 months.. but he learnt to pee in the toilet only at the age of 1.5. And next comes the bigger one.. Making him poop in the potty seat was the hardest thing.. and here kids are not allowed to go to school with diaper..so i was worried to the core..but never stopped trying or never shouted at him..just keep it regular. timing should be followed correctly. every mornig make the kid sit in the potty at the same time. my son was not comfortable with potty.. he felt better with potty seat fixed in the closet. so he learnt that at the age of 2.5 ...just before starting to school..
    PPl make you worry a lot dear..if you keep asking them about this..Boys generally take time.
    But one of my friend dd took more time than my son even to get trained on Pee ing ..age of 3..But as soon as she learnt that she learnt to poop in the closet quickly..so don compare with other kids..Just follow the routine.

4. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

To pee kids learn easy n potty every kid is different but do start when he turns 2 that's when they understand n it's gets easy for u as well get the ones which u can put on the toilet itself so the next stage also.. I had brought ones little one sit n we clean it later he did not use it at all..
    hold Their hand wen he is on toilet talk all goofy stuff n make him smile it will be done tell u r such a good kid n learning to be a big boy one step at a time..

5. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies

Thanks for your replies. I have ordered a potty seat online. Keeping fingers crossed and I hope she learns using it fast

6. hino

hino Silver IL'ite

7. Benadryl

Benadryl Silver IL'ite

I dont agree with potty training at a very young age. The child can barely understand anything. Unless the child can utter the words wee or poo - dont even bother. We trained our son when he was around 2 years old. Make him sit on the seat every one hour. The child is bound to wee/poo outside the toilet. Every time the child does it. Talk to the child lovingly but firmly and say" you should tell mama you want to go to the toilet". Point to the wee/poo and say this should be done in the toilet and then walk over and point to the commode. I don't know if it helped that our kids have a standard bowel movement routine. Of course once the child does it in the toilet, make a celebration out of it. Make the child wave bye to the wee/poo and flush it down. I had a few weird moments when the kid would just fart and we had to say bye to the make believe poos. :)

Our elders constantly criticised my son for wearing a nappy past 1.5 years old. I just ignored them. If he cant be trained at 2, he will be trained at 3. If not at 3 then at 4 years of age. Pretty sure he will be trained by the time he is 18! I don't care. No undue pressure on the child is my philosophy. Whats the point in forcing when the child can barely understand what you are communicating. We also ignored the baseless Anal stage theory of Sigmond Freud (Anal stage - Wikipedia). We hope it isn't a mistake

If you work, then it can get tricky.

Hsharma2018 and DDream like this.
  8. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

If someone told me that their baby was potty trained at 2 months, I would take that with a sack of salt, nay scratch that, I wouldnt believe it.
    At two months a baby cannot sit and they potty trained it? how ??

Baby's brain and body are growing at a tremendous pace in the early years. And each baby develops senses and control over organs at different pace.

Read up at baby forums and look out for signs that show your baby is becoming more aware of peeing /pooing.
    What helped me is below.
    I let her see me using the loo. Babies learn by observing.
    Let her check out the potty seat ,Make her sit on it a few times with diaper on, just so she is familiar and comfortable with it.
    I started by with placing her on the potty right after she wakes up and making the sound. It may take some time for her to understand all the fuss.
    Effusive praise when she does it.

I started out earlier with DS. He wasnt very receptive so I shelved it for a few weeks or so tried it after that.

It is a slow process, needs patience, with hits and misses .My daughter was potty trained pretty early , well she didnt get any medal for it. My son was a bit later, he hasnt lost out in any way. So cool .
    13 months is ok to try but look out for the baby's feedback.

9. diamond1880

diamond1880 Senior IL'ite

OMG, some fantasy,
    you can start when she is 18 months old, when she tries to speak n can understand.
    Also make sure she can walk ,not the wobbling way, when they are learning to walk

10. Anshika31

Anshika31 New IL'ite

I have the same experience with family and friends. I suppose every baby taKEs their own time.